•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

The Fastest Rides In "The World"!

Since the days of early civilization, when man first rode on the backs of animals, we have always found it thrilling to go fast. Trains and horses took us from here to there quickly, but it wasn't until the late 1800's when the first roller coster was built that we enjoyed the thrills of speed at amusement parks. With the use of steel and features like high tech magnetic launch systems, modern thrill rides achieve speeds that can make you feel like you're flying or even weightless.

Walt Disney World has it's fair share of speedy rides, some of which might surprise you with how fast they actually go!

Name:  Photo Aug 14.png
Views: 304
Size:  228.4 KB
    10: Primeval Whirl
    Similar to Space Mountain, "the other coaster" at Animal Kingdom is actually two coasters with identical tracks that run at the same time. Primeval Whirl sends guests spinning down the tracks at top speeds of 29mph. And I thought time travel occurred at 88mph!

Name:  Photo Aug 14 copy.png
Views: 330
Size:  227.2 KB
    9: Tower of Terror
    Hollywood Studios' most terrifying elevator ride, Tower of Terror, looms ominously over guests at the end of Sunset Boulevard. As you approach, the screams of those plummeting 13 stories at 30mph become audible. But don't chicken out! The only other option at the end of Sunset is Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and that's further down this list!

Name:  Photo Aug 14-2.png
Views: 297
Size:  243.3 KB
    8: Big Thunder Mountain
    One of two of the Mountains of Magic Kingdom to make this list, Big Thunder Mountain takes guests on a wild, old western train ride. Only these trains have no engineers. Spirits, awakened by the dynamite blasts of local miners, are in control and they send trains barreling through the winding tracks of Big Thunder Mountain at top speeds of 35mph!

Name:  Photo Aug 14-3.png
Views: 299
Size:  229.2 KB
    7: Humunga Kowabunga
    I didn't forget the water slides! Over at Typhoon Lagoon, guests coming down Humunga Kowabunga have been clocked going as fast as 39mph!

Name:  Photo Aug 14-4.png
Views: 295
Size:  226.6 KB
    6: Monorail Transportation
    Up until the 90's, the monorail was the fastest ride on WDW property. Twelve different colored monorail trains serve an average of 157,000 guests per day, taking them around the Magic Kingdom and Epcot lines at a top speed of 40mph. The colors are Red, Coral, Orange, Gold, Yellow, Teal, Lime, Green, Blue, Silver, Black, and Peach. There used to be a Pink and a Purple, but let's not talk about that...

Name:  Photo Aug 14-5.png
Views: 299
Size:  156.9 KB
    5: Splash Mountain
    Splash Mountain is the epitome of what every Disney fan wants out of a thrilling water ride. Classic songs and characters combined with the fantastic dark ride scenes that Disney is known for provide a delightful distraction from what's ahead. The first few drops are small and fun, but the best is the final, 53-foot drop that sends guests screaming at 40mph into a gigantic briar patch below!

Name:  Photo Aug 14-6.png
Views: 296
Size:  218.7 KB
    4: Expedition Everest
    When a trip to the top of the tallest mountain in the world gets ruined by a yeti at a disco party, Expedition Everest hits top speeds of 50mph in attempt to escape his convulsing clutches!

Name:  Photo Aug 14-7.png
Views: 296
Size:  242.6 KB
    3: Summit Plummet
    Upon seeing Summit Plummet, you may think "Is that a slide? I will fly off!". That's because it looks like a ski-jump. But no air time on this water slide, you're going down at a top speed of 60mph!

Name:  Photo Aug 14-8.png
Views: 308
Size:  247.4 KB
    2: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
    After a long day of standing around a mixing board listening to their old songs, how does a classic rock band full of a bunch of old guys get from the Hollywood recording studio to their gig in downtown LA? Turbo charged super stretch limousine! And why not bring everyone touring the studio along and blast 30+ year old music inches from everyones ears?? Rock 'n' Roller Coaster goes from 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds and takes guests on a winding, UV lit race thru LA. If you scream loud enough, you may be able drown out the music.

Name:  Photo Aug 14-9.png
Views: 289
Size:  222.8 KB
    1: Test Track
    One of the biggest slot car tracks in the world, Test Track takes guest along a futuristic obstacle course to test various features of the vehicle. The final test is the speed test, where the vehicle heads outdoors for a pedal to the metal 65mph race around the speed course, making Test Track The Fastest Ride In "The World"!

Have you been on all of them? Only 5 out of 10 for me. Which is your favorite?

P.S. This was the second time I wrote this. The first time it only autosaved the first sentence and I lost 1 hour and 20 minutes of work. This time it only took an hour and 45 minutes, because I kept adding stuff. Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 08-14-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typos: 4: listing-listening 5: it-Test Track
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Minion

Re: The Fastest Rides In "The World"!

Wow hats off for a well put together post. Loved the inclusion of the maps too.

As for how many... just the two. The monorail and Test Track.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Wow hats off for a well put together post. Loved the inclusion of the maps too.

As for how many... just the two. The monorail and Test Track.
    Thanks! I have always been enamoured with that tidbit about the monorail being the fastest and was something I had remembered from when I was a little kid. I guess that is why the monorail is one of my favorite "rides".

That, and because its free

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

Only 2 so far... Hope to have all except the water slides (I don't like water parks) done in 3 weeks!

Or maybe just 7 total... Is primeval whirl just one of those boring crazy mouse coasters?
    Just a lurker now. ._.

WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
    Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hadla View Post
    Only 2 so far... Hope to have all except the water slides (I don't like water parks) done in 3 weeks!

Or maybe just 7 total... Is primeval whirl just one of those boring crazy mouse coasters?
    3 weeks left! How exciting!

As for Primeval Whirl, I'm pretty sure the track is a wild mouse layout (the track doesn't bank), however, instead of standard cars, these spin. Hence "Whirl".

Yep, I'll skip it then. I like rides with things to see while you ride them... Basically what Disney is famous for lol
    Just a lurker now. ._.

WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
    Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hadla View Post
    Yep, I'll skip it then. I like rides with things to see while you ride them... Basically what Disney is famous for lol
    PW is pretty well themed and has a story that's similar to the one on DINOSAUR. I'd check it out if the wait is very long because, it usually isn't.

• secure all cargo

What a fun thread! I have been on 9 of the 10 - everything but Humunga Kowabunga.

I have felt ever since I rode it in '99 that Summit Plummet is the scariest thing at WDW. Nothing tops it for sheer terror. 68 degree angle 120 feet means you are not really sliding but falling down with only a slight angle to keep you on track, no tube, no mat, no ride vehicle, just you all by yourself falling as fast as some of us drive on the freeway. The scariest part is when you're at the top debating if you're gonna go or not. As you are falling it is really unbelievable how fast it feels.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

I really appreciate the post, Pluto! I have been on 7/10 (none of the water slides or RnRC). It really is a bit shocking that between 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and a monorail system, the 10th fastest ride is 29 mph. I would expect faster, just due to the total number of rides.