• formerly very helpful

Is it still Walt Disney World?

My first trip to WDW was in 1988. There were only two theme parks a little water park and a smattering of a few hotels. My most recent trip was in 2006. And there were a few trips in between. Obviously, the resort had grown a lot in that time. But in all those trips, even though the place has grown, it's always "felt" like Walt Disney World. It had the same magical feel that it's always had since my first trip there.
    Well, people are talking about many changes since 2006. Most notably the Fastpass Plus. I've heard a lot of good and bad opinions about it.
    My question is this: Even with all the changes, is it still Walt Disney World? Does it still have the same magical feeling?
    Please share thoughts on this.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Is it still Walt Disney World?

Some of the magic wore off for me when I was there in 2009, causing me to take a few years off until my return last year. Perhaps the magic was there, but I couldn't see it due to the fact that I spent too much time chasing the people I was with. I'm not saying that I didn't have a good time, on my two previous trips, but things were definitely different. Maybe because my grandson had gotten older, and really could care less about being there. I seemed to be the only one, willing to slow down, and soak up the atmosphere.

I am returning in just two days, by myself, and I'm ready to rediscover the Disney World that I first stepped into way back in 1997. Not talking about a replication of physical things, but rather of the feeling of escape. I plan to immerse myself in my surroundings as much as I can. I need this vacation. I love my family, but I need to get away from them. I told my husband he's lucky if I even text him, once a day, while I am there. If it wasn't for this entire My Magic stuff, I'd ditch the phone entirely.

So is the magic still there? Ask me again in about 9/10 days, when I have returned.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I did not participate in the FastPass+ or Magic Band when visited in November 2013 (didn't need them in case of fastpasses and opted for a old-fashioned, standard WDW 'key to the world' card as admission/room key media by request) - but yes, the magic was there for me, in terms of the small 'intangibles' of the experience: a nice walk to and from the bus at Port Orleans Riverside, nighttime at World Showcase, a lot to do and see and enjoy, being able to still go up first thing in the morning to restaurants we wanted to (SciFi Dine In) and get a reservation/table for the same day despite dire warnings from some online that such never happened.

Your mileage may vary if tightly 'planned' in terms of fastpass times for rides and shows and things do not go smoothly, but when our party basically discarded/ignored that system (save for some dining reservations) and waited for things in a decently busy but not insane month, we had a fine time and got to experience all the attractions we wished to.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
    • PotC Finger Chomp

Blog Entries

Yes.

Walt Disney World is still the most magical place on Earth.

Transformation Through Adventure

"If you go somewhere you've never been before, try something you've never done before, see something you've never seen before, that experience alone makes you a new person. You are transformed. If you go out and seek adventure, adventure itself will change you and you will be transformed."
    -Joe Rohde

PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

Honestly, I don't really feel the magic in WDW as much as Disneyland.
    Mostly due to the poor attitudes of the CM working at WDW, the never refurb broken rides, and the poor attitude tourists

Aug 2003: Walt Disney World
    Sept 2010 - May 2014: Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure
    Sept 2013: Disney Cruise Line Dream
    Sept 2013: Walt Disney World
    Jan 2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
    May 2014: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
    July 2014: Disney Cruise Line Fantasy
    July 2014 - Current: WDW
    December 2014: Disneyland Paris
    May 2015 - July 2015 Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure
    May 2015 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    June 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
    September 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I refuse to let the people around me spoil my vacation. Even my own family members who want to do things differently than I do. I soon learned that rather than having to settle for someone else's agenda, I rather do Disney World Alone. It's not like I never "hang with friends", because I do. However, considering the cost of my Disney Vacations, I have my own "set of rules" for myself.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by yoshikitty View Post
    Honestly, I don't really feel the magic in WDW as much as Disneyland.
    Mostly due to the poor attitudes of the CM working at WDW, the never refurb broken rides, and the poor attitude tourists
    Personally, I never experienced a CM with poor attitude during the 8-day long visit - all outgoing, friendly, and helpful. Doesn't mean some can't have off days or occasional bad attitude - but it is far from 'normal' or widespread.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Friend,

There's always magic, well, pretty much anywhere. I've been going on weekly, there, for the past four years. I still feel the magic because I want to. I still get giddy when I hear the overtures of music in the TTC or walking into the Plaza. But that's because I know I want to have the magic exist to me. Now that you're asking meaning that the things have changed for you in some manner. You're arriving with listening to faceless names on a computer screen who had one bad hiccup, ussing that to form your opinion, even listening to people you'd not accept candy from.

My recommendation? Throw that care to the wind. Just go. Enjoy. Watch the skies. Eat ice cream. Dance in the streets. You'll be fine.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• formerly very helpful

Thanks, Roo. I very much plan on having a great time. A magical time. As much as it would pain my daughter for me to say this, I'm the biggest Disney fan in the family, and I'm already excited for this trip in about 22 months. (once I figure out how to do it, I'll get the count down working in my signature.)

I, too, look for - and get magic in many unlikely places. In my 2006 trip, one of the most magical times was simply pushing my daughter's stroller around the lake at our hotel. Even the walk to and from the bus to the hotel was special, as RegionsBeyond mentioned. Sometimes it is a little discouraging to read a lot of negativity, and when something means so much to you as this does to me, it can get you nervous about it.
    I learned a couple of trips ago that the joy in WDW is not "collecting" as many attractions as possible, but slowing down and just soaking it all in. (Of course, I do have a few must-do's on my list, too.)
    As much as there is a part of me that will always miss the original Journey Into Imagination, World of Motion, and of course my beloved Horizons, I do believe it's as I read a wise woman say before: "If you don't have fun it's your own fault."

• formerly very helpful

By the way, let's keep talking about this. It's fun.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am a day and a few hours away from taking off for my trip to Disney World. Even though, I believe that Disneyland is the Happiest place on earth, it was actually Disney World that I first visited back in 1997 with my four year old grandson and my husband. We splurged, and stayed at the Polynesian. My husband is not a Disney fan, but he had a great time, because his grandson was "So Happy, and in his element". I actually celebrated my 50th birthday at Disney World on that trip. It took me that long to finally get to a themepark. It took us that long to be able to afford a trip like that. I never have to actually work at having fun, I think my mind goes into happy mode the minute I leave my house, and my every day routine. It is so great to get away. As a kid, that didn't happen too often. Maybe a day trip once in a while, but never a full blown vacation.

Stepping onto the monorail, or rounding the bend on the ferry to catch that first site of the Magic Kingdom ALWAYS takes me to my happy place. We went last October and have our next trip planed for December this year. We have tried to go every other year or so since my boys were 8 and 6. This year they will STILL be coming with us and they are 28 and 26

It is my most favorite place to be anyday. I have never had an issue with bus times, CM's or rude vacationers. Maybe once there I block all that out and and can't be unhappy. I was sick as a dog one trip and had to spend the day at the resort, it was still a great time.

Yes, for me the magic is still there!

• Disney Superfreak

Always. It will keep changing and changing, adding and removing things. But it will never remove it's magic. I love every visit I take, though all of them have flaws. I just love being there and absorbing the magic. So, yes. Always.
    I now own property in Frontierland named "The Backside of Water." Life can't get much better.

AP holder

• formerly very helpful

Great to hear! I can't believe I still have nearly two years to go!