Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

GOTG Star Lord & Gamora Appearance At Awesome Mixtape Dance Party DHS

It's official. Marvel characters will be coming to WDW. And we won't be waiting long.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  33.3 KB

Star Lord and Gamora face characters will be appearing at DHS during the "Villains Unleashed!" event in late August at a recently added “Guardians of the Galaxy” Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party! It will take place in the Animation Courtyard and will be the first time Marvel characters will appear at Walt Disney World.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks Blog
    For those of you attending the event, be sure to duck into Stage 5 in the Animation Courtyard with your fellow Terrans, where the “Guardians of the Galaxy” Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party promises to be the hottest spot this side of Knowhere with an out-of-this-world DJ and other surprises. Plus, you never know when Star-Lord and his infamous teammate, Gamora, might crash the party to retrieve his prized cassette!
    Some of you may be wondering, how? Doesn't Universal own the theme park rights to all Marvel characters in Florida?

Nope.

They have the rights for all the characters that they already used up until a certain point. Since GOTG has never been used by Universal, it's fair game.
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 08-24-2014 at 03:57 AM. Reason: I had put September instead of August. The event was August 23rd, 2014
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Bangarang!

Re: GOTG Star Lord & Gamora Appearance At Awesome Mixtape Dance Party DHS

Great news. I guess given the films reception it was only a matter of time.

By the way, am I reading too much into the line "be sure to duck into Stage 5"?
    (Keeping it relatively spoiler free for those who haven't seen the film)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Shubisha

Not villains.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    Some of you may be wondering, how? Doesn't Universal own the theme park rights to all Marvel characters in Florida?

Nope.

They have the rights for all the characters that they already used up until a certain point. Since GOTG has never been used by Universal, it's fair game.
    Has Universal consented to that or have the Disney lawyers found what they believe to be an awesome loophole that they've decided to exercise and Universal might sue later?

Also, does the fact that certain characters appear in large than life sized cutouts for theming throughout the land mean Universal has "used" them?

I don't think the actual agreement Universal has was ever made public but it's quite possible they could decide to use further characters at any point, whether or not that precludes Disney from using them at WDW...

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Not villains.
    Yea, well neither is Meg from Hercules!

Has Universal consented to that or have the Disney lawyers found what they believe to be an awesome loophole that they've decided to exercise and Universal might sue later?

Disney needs no consent from Universal. All characters that Universal used in their parks before Disney bought Marvel are off limits for Disney to use in their parks. Anything else they didn't use, (GOTG) is totally open to bringing said characters into the parks.

Also, does the fact that certain characters appear in large than life sized cutouts for theming throughout the land mean Universal has "used" them?

Yes. When the Iron Man 3 graphics went up on the monorail, it was restricted to the MK/Resorts lines, because if it was on the Epcot line it could go into the park and therefore violating the terms of ownership.

I don't think the actual agreement Universal has was ever made public but it's quite possible they could decide to use further characters at any point, whether or not that precludes Disney from using them at WDW...

Incorrect. In a previous post, titled "Idea: Marvel Live could replace Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular", lazyboy970 posted this:

Marvel Agreement between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 08-19-2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

I think this is pretty much the closest thing to public on the Universal-Marvel agreement: Marvel Agreement between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group

I think pretty much any character or family of characters (either as an attraction, a character walk around or a primarily used to theme a location) used within IOA gives Universal the right to use those characters and family of characters within a theme park setting east of the Mississippi. I don't know if it's also in there but I heard that if Universal wanted to add new characters to those already covered in IOA, they would need to add side agreements for them - which Disney will most likely not let happen. So Universal is "stuck" with what they have and can't really change much without Marvel's approval.
    Last edited by SpoonCM; 08-19-2014 at 10:26 PM.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Here's the loophole:
    After such 2 year period, MCA’s exclusive rights will be subject to “shrinkage” or “expansion” as follows:
    1. If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

• Shubisha

(b) If the particular character is not used by MCA, such character will not be advertised or promoted by means of (x) spot television buys, billboards, personal appearances, or print advertisements which are (y) viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando. In other words, regional (i.e. covering a multi-state geographic region) or national television or print media buys, or brochures would not be prohibited within such 300 mile radius.

I'm sure Disney says it's villains unleashes promotional items are international ads not Orlando targeted.

But more importantly down below it says that there can be no "marvel universe" of marvel's own within 60 miles of islands of adventure, regardless of the fact that other theme parks are limited to characters not being used by universal.

a. Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

i. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

ii. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

iii. Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride.
    iii. No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).
    So I guess a dance party or "movie preview" doesn't qualify and Disney could do the green screen photopass picture but it sounds like they still can't make a land or a ride whether or not it includes characters not used by universal. "major entertainment component" seems like it could've been a lot looser if they hadn't directly compared it with a ride.
    Last edited by almandot; 08-20-2014 at 06:25 AM.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

I'm sure Disney says it's villains unleashes promotional items are international ads not Orlando targeted.

But more importantly down below it says that there can be no "marvel universe" of marvel's own within 60 miles of islands of adventure, regardless of the fact that other theme parks are limited to characters not being used by universal.

So I guess a dance party or "movie preview" doesn't qualify and Disney could do the green screen photopass picture but it sounds like they still can't make a land or a ride whether or not it includes characters not used by universal. "major entertainment component" seems like it could've been a lot looser if they hadn't directly compared it with a ride.
    "THE MARVEL UNIVERSE" is the term to describe Marvel Island at IoA. This document was drafted before the construction of IoA, before any names were finalized. An example of this is the name of IoA was only reffered to as "THE SECOND GATE" in the document.

This means that a themed area similar to Marvel Island at IoA is out of the question.

However, an attraction, show, or meet & greet using characters not currently being used by IoA such as The Guardians of the Galaxy should be possible becuase Disney owns those characters out right.

Universal only has the exclusive rights to the characters currently being used in the parks and their "family" of partners (like X-men, Fantastic Four, Avengers) and villians. Meaning even if you didn't see Thor anywhere in IoA, Disney couldn't have him in WDW because Hulk and Captain America are Avengers.
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 08-20-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Thor is in IoA

• Bangarang!

If Disney are using the characters in WDW then you know that it's been cleared by their legal department. They're not stupid enough to use characters that would cause an issue.

I've not got much of a problem with this being part of the Villains Unleashed (after all they aren't exactly squeaky clean heros) but I think my only issue with this event is that its taking place in the Animation Courtyard. I guess its the 'out-of-the-way' spot where they can run a dance party, and land boundaries and themes don't matter much in today's Studios.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

You're making a rather common mistake and confusing the Marvel Universe (Marvel Super Hero Island) with the Marvel Action Universe, a planned retail concept.

For now Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be in the clear, the question is about what happens when they join up with The Avengers.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas
    "THE MARVEL UNIVERSE" is the term to describe Marvel Island at IoA. This document was drafted before the construction of IoA, before any names were finalized. An example of this is the name of IoA was only reffered to as "THE SECOND GATE" in the document.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    You're making a rather common mistake and confusing the Marvel Universe (Marvel Super Hero Island) with the Marvel Action Universe, a planned retail concept.

For now Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be in the clear, the question is about what happens when they join up with The Avengers.
    I wasn't mixing them up. I said "a 'Marvel Universe'" as a generic term and could've said "Marvel Land" just as well for my purpose. :P I was saying that Marvel(now Disney) still can't do a theme park-like major entertainment offering within 60 miles of Islands of Adventure, regardless of if it includes characters not in use by Universal, and that I suppose the Guardians ultimate mix tape dance party isn't being considered a "major entertainment offering".

• Minion

ORDDU: As long as they keep all the Marvel characters out of the Magic Kingdom they can do whatever they want with those unappealing creatures.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: As long as they keep all the Marvel characters out of the Magic Kingdom they can do whatever they want with those unappealing creatures.
    And Star Wars!! Keep at least one Magic Kingdom untainted!

I wasn't mixing them up. I said "a 'Marvel Universe'" as a generic term and could've said "Marvel Land" just as well for my purpose. :P I was saying that Marvel(now Disney) still can't do a theme park-like major entertainment offering within 60 miles of Islands of Adventure, regardless of if it includes characters not in use by Universal, and that I suppose the Guardians ultimate mix tape dance party isn't being considered a "major entertainment offering".
    The whole section fell under the "Marvel Action Universe." Those restrictions were pertaining to that retail concept. I think we will get a clearer picture of what can or can not be allowed in Orlando if the Marvel Experience Tour makes (or does not make) a stop in the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast