Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: caribbean beach

  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,566

    caribbean beach

    I've seen this floated around several places now and just thought I would throw the possibility out to some of you guys to see what you thought. Since DVC is (shockingly in my opinion) still extremely popular with still a high demand for more rooms even with the added DVC space to deluxe hotels like the grand floridian, Disney is looking for new places they can expand into for more DVC rooms, or preferably, take over existing hotel rooms and convert them into dvc locations. since Caribbean beach is overbuilt and always has extra space, combined with the fact that many of their rooms need refurbishment, it seems like the natural perfect fit for a bit of DVC conversion.

    the specifics of the plan vary from source to source but the gist of this is the expansion would lead to two main things happening:

    1st) one of the "islands" would be completely converted to DVC rooms (either Aruba or Barbados are the most talked about) which would be significantly larger then the current moderates but a little smaller then the deluxe DVC rooms providing a value option for DVC'ers.

    2nd) and most exciting, comes the hook that should help draw DVC people (along with the price point) to this particular location: water transportation to epcot. utilizing the now abandoned marina dock off old port royal, the rumour is that the same friend-ships that travel between epcot and MGM will also travel to Caribbean beach by way of a new canal that will stretch from the resort lagoon between barbados and aruba, through a tunnel under buenna vista drive, and into the epcot lagoon through the current service canal which will be expanded to accommodate the traffic, entering the park between china and the african outpost. the boats would then drop guests at the international gateway entrance on the other side of the lagoon so they can scan their bands and enter the park, or continue on to the other hotels and eventually MGM.

    So what do you guys think? this would certainly make me consider staying at Caribbean beach again if this were to happen!

  2. #2

    •   
    • FastPass+ Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    410
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: caribbean beach

    Great post goofy donald!

    My response is as follows:

    1. I like the idea of adding another resort to the DVC. How much smaller are we talking here? Would the rooms offer full kitchens similar to the ones at OKW?

    2. Epcot water transportation would surely be enticing, especially if they rotated the Sassagoula River Cruise boats for the summer months, and the Friendship boats for the winter months. The Friendship boats are ridiculously hot in the summer, and I would imagine that the SRC boats would be quite chilly crossing the lake connecting Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach.

    I undoubtedly would wind up staying here eventually if the change over is made. My family and I are DVC members and make yearly trips where the whole family meets up.
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 08-25-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: caribbean beach

    Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    Great post goofy donald!

    My response is as follows:

    1. I like the idea of adding another resort to the DVC. How much smaller are we talking here? Would the rooms offer full kitchens similar to the ones at OKW?
    some rumours did suggest this however the overall consensus I garnered was that it would just be a simple kitchenette for the vast majority of rooms as again its going to be more of a value option with less available space. there should be a few one and two bedrooms thrown in as well to accommodate larger groups with something closer to a full kitchen but look for primarily studio size offerings.

    2. Epcot water transportation would surely be enticing, especially if they rotated the Sassagoula River Cruise boats for the summer months, and the Friendship boats for the winter months. The Friendship boats are ridiculously hot in the summer, and I would imagine that the SRC boats would be quite chilly crossing the lake connecting Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach.

    I undoubtedly would wind up staying here eventually if the change over is made. My family and I are DVC members and make yearly trips where the whole family meets up.
    I would imagine with this increase in capacity to the system the friendship fleet would receive an overhaul and upgrade to deal with the sheer number of people that CB would add to the pool. this would be a system that would be heavily utilized as many people are not fond of the bus system at CB and would prefer to avoid it as much as possible. not that I have had any problems with it when staying there however taking a boat through the world showcase lagoon would definitely be an upgrade.

  4. #4

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: caribbean beach

    I've always thought that they should expand that waterway to the World Showcase Lagoon, but it seems a bit weird to take them all the way over to the International Gateway. The lagoon gets shut down when they start setting up for IllumiNations which would also shut down that route for a good chunk of the evening. It would make more sense to just build a second International Gateway on the other side of the lagoon.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  5. #5

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: caribbean beach

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I've always thought that they should expand that waterway to the World Showcase Lagoon, but it seems a bit weird to take them all the way over to the International Gateway. The lagoon gets shut down when they start setting up for IllumiNations which would also shut down that route for a good chunk of the evening. It would make more sense to just build a second International Gateway on the other side of the lagoon.
    that does make sense Dan, good point. I was only relaying the general rumours I had heard and nothing more but with the magic band tech that means less people are necessary to man the new small entrance this would make loads of sense.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    296

    Re: caribbean beach

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    2nd) and most exciting, comes the hook that should help draw DVC people (along with the price point) to this particular location: water transportation to epcot. utilizing the now abandoned marina dock off old port royal, the rumour is that the same friend-ships that travel between epcot and MGM will also travel to Caribbean beach by way of a new canal that will stretch from the resort lagoon between barbados and aruba, through a tunnel under buenna vista drive, and into the epcot lagoon through the current service canal which will be expanded to accommodate the traffic, entering the park between china and the african outpost. the boats would then drop guests at the international gateway entrance on the other side of the lagoon so they can scan their bands and enter the park, or continue on to the other hotels and eventually MGM.
    Well, this is a very good idea. But, the Marina would need to be completely redone to fit in with theming, along with hide a lot of backstage area, which isn't a major issue, but... Disney could also potentially make a 1/4 mile (the approx. distance from China to Caribbean Beach Custom House) pedestrian bridge that could be a mini Disney Great Wall of China! Although this wouldn't fit in with the Beach theme, the bridge can be hidden from within the resort pretty easily by putting the entrance/exit behind or next to the Custom House.

    On another note, I think that they could build a new "island" as the new DVC area. There is an open plot which can be easily turned into another island. It is the plot west of Trinidad South.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 9.25.53 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  108.6 KB

  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: caribbean beach

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    Well, this is a very good idea. But, the Marina would need to be completely redone to fit in with theming, along with hide a lot of backstage area, which isn't a major issue, but... Disney could also potentially make a 1/4 mile (the approx. distance from China to Caribbean Beach Custom House) pedestrian bridge that could be a mini Disney Great Wall of China! Although this wouldn't fit in with the Beach theme, the bridge can be hidden from within the resort pretty easily by putting the entrance/exit behind or next to the Custom House.

    On another note, I think that they could build a new "island" as the new DVC area. There is an open plot which can be easily turned into another island. It is the plot west of Trinidad South.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 9.25.53 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  108.6 KB
    good find imagineer, I didn't even think about it just because that resort is so big to walk around already. I think the primary fuel behind this though is that disney is trying to reclaim rooms as they clearly overbuilt for the demand. instead of building a new dvc complex and leaving other rooms empty, i think they would prefer to lean on switching over one of the islands during the impending renovations.

    as for the bridge concept while i agree that could work in a more cost saving fashion, as previously mentioned there is already so much walking at that resort it would be nice to get a mode of transport that isn't your feet for a change., and that's coming from someone who actually likes to walk lol. as for the marina I don't see why by any means the CB marina would need to be redone, a safety queue would just need to be installed and thats it.

Similar Threads

  1. Who Loves the Caribbean Beach
    By MJMcB in forum Orlando Hotel Reviews
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 05:02 PM
  2. Approx 200 Caribbean Beach Resort pics/photo walk
    By nbodyhome in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 06:06 AM
  3. Disney's Caribbean Beach resort
    By InnerSpace in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
  4. Port Orleans French Quarters Resort or Caribbean Beach??
    By dance_is_life in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
  5. Caribbean Beach and the Grand Floridian
    By Barbaraann in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 09:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •