Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Remembering the old Disney Village

A conversation I had today reminded me of some of the old stores in what was then Disney Village back in the late '80s / early '90s. I'm wondering how many remember these..

Two that sprung to mind, one was the old Christmas Attic - where the World of Disney is now. I remember it had a Christmas model village scene and railway hanging in a large bauble (ornament). And, for child of the '90s it also had a Ninja Turtles arcade game at the back in what I think was a kids clothes store just tacked on the back of the Attic.

And then there was that one store that had a tropical theme. I think it was a men's store, selling Hawaiian shirts and the like. It had a lighting and sound loop of a thunderstorm every 10 mins or so.

To be honest, I can't remember exactly where it was, I think it was where the Art of Disney gallery was.. if that's still there.

Anyone remember those?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Re: Remembering the old Disney Village

Is the second place you're thinking of Rainforest Cafe'?

I do not know how long ago you've been there, but it just sounds a lot like Rainforest with the description of thunder and I'm sure they'd sell those type of shirts. Also, it's next to an Disney art gallery.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

I have vague memories of the Disney Village, but I remember it being quaint and charming. I remember the Team Mickey store (or at least I think it was called that), a few others. If I remember correctly there were more trees around the Disney Village, which I wish they still had around there; i liked the look and feel of the whole area.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Name:  Disney Village.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  107.0 KB

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    Is the second place you're thinking of Rainforest Cafe'?

I do not know how long ago you've been there, but it just sounds a lot like Rainforest with the description of thunder and I'm sure they'd sell those type of shirts. Also, it's next to an Disney art gallery.
    Thanks, but this was well before Rainforest, it was even before the West Side was built.

It was just a clothing store, it might even have been on the site where Rainforest is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I have vague memories of the Disney Village, but I remember it being quaint and charming. I remember the Team Mickey store (or at least I think it was called that), a few others. If I remember correctly there were more trees around the Disney Village, which I wish they still had around there; i liked the look and feel of the whole area.
    That sums it up pretty well. Nice and cosy, not too over the top. I'd like to think Disney Springs is going to recapture some of that, but given its scale for one, I doubt it.

And yeah, the Team Mickey Store.. I think that's either part of the World of Disney now, or perhaps that Marketplace Co-Op.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I remember climbing all over this "thing" in the 1970s
    (photo courtesy of Walt Dated World)

Name:  72649a30.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  69.7 KB

• Minion

Yeah I remember that. I think I only climbed in it once. Now I think that was replaced by a pin location.. or was that the hexagonal pavilion (with the antenna type tower) you can see in the centre of the pic Mondo posted?

Walt Disney

I wish I remembered this, but I don't. Hope more photos surface!

Quote Originally Posted by chris2fett View Post
    I remember climbing all over this "thing" in the 1970s
    (photo courtesy of Walt Dated World)

Name:  72649a30.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  69.7 KB
    I remember this!!!! It was located right in front of where the Stitch entrance is to WOD. I fondly remember my niece going into a tunnel and refusing to come out. My Dad yelled her name into the tube and kids SCATTERED from every opening!!!!!!!

I also remember the beach themed store. Not sure of the location. I remember the old "main store" which was where Team Mickey is and how the bus circle was just a small round about in front. I remember a small train that ran the interior of a store. Late 80's into the 90's maybe?

Edited to add-I think the Main store was Mickey's Character Shop-I remember the giant hot air balloon filled with plush stuffed animals.
    Last edited by mmommie; 09-01-2014 at 11:42 AM.

I have Steve Birbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World from 1985-the year my family visited. We never went to the Shopping Village despite the fact we were staying in the Hotel Plaza complex across the street:
    Anyway, here's a list of the shops that were there at the time:
    Christmas Chalet
    Pottery Chalet
    Chalet Candle Shop (inside the Pottery Chalet)
    China, Crystal, & Silver
    2R's Read'n & Rite'n
    Crystal Arts
    Toledo Arts-leather items, porcelain, and wood carved items
    Great Southern Craft Company-handmade goods including stained glass and Russian embroidery (that's what the picture of the sign says
    Lillie Langtry's Old-Fashioned Photo Studio- One could take sepia toned photos dressed in all sorts of historical costumes (book mentions Edwardian)
    Port of Entry: An international marketplace
    Bath Parlour
    Sachet In:Sachets and other fragrances
    Sir Edward's Haberdasher
    Gourmet Pantry-if you stayed in the Villa or Treehouse units-you could get goods delivered
    Character Shop
    Toys Fantastique: Birnbaum mentions that the rocking-horse sign is ''one of the Disney sign shop's most handsome efforts.'" Does anyone have a picture of it?
    Candy Shoppe
    It's A Small World After All-children's apparel
    Country Address: Women's clothing
    24KT Precious Adornments-jewelry
    Village Gifts and Sundries
    Village Spirits
    Shoe Time
    Plus You-accessories
    Miss Merrily's Fashions
    Sassy's-preteen clothes
    Windjammer Dock Shop

This place sounds like it was really something back in the day.

• Minion

Unless Windjammers was a store around the boat rentals, that has to be the shop I remember with the tropical storm effect loop.

I seem to remember that it had a lifeguards tower as one of the displays.

Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    And yeah, the Team Mickey Store.. I think that's either part of the World of Disney now, or perhaps that Marketplace Co-Op.
    Team Mickey is where the Co-Op store is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Yeah I remember that. I think I only climbed in it once. Now I think that was replaced by a pin location.. or was that the hexagonal pavilion (with the antenna type tower) you can see in the centre of the pic Mondo posted?
    The hexagonal pavilion is what is now the pin store.

I remember the old team mickey and the gourmet pantry store. Also it was great when the eateries all had character names: chef mickey, Minnie Mia's, goofys grill, Donald's dairy dip. When I was younger we used to love having a pizza at Minnie mias and watch the world go by from the patio there

I remember eating at Goofy's Grill. Does anyone know where it was located exactly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast