Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Having a Grand Day!

New WDW Homepage

Well, it's official. The 'Happiest Celebration on Earth' has been shown the backburner. Or at least on the web front.

Just a day after I was thinkin 'Gee, Disney Really Need To Do Some Work on this Homepage', Disney today premiered a new design that thankfuly is a lot more sterile than the previous monstrosity. They didn't fix the major problem (that the page is made entirely in Flash... I hate that), but the horrible colors have been replaced with lighter blues, and the old music has been shortened to a small section that still showcases the 50th, but is smaller and comes second to the Magic Your Way Tickets. Other than the brief Animation, there is nothing else on the page to signify that WDW is celebrating anything. I think the 50th has been a failure for WDW, and Marketing has decided to gracefuly move on... Finally!

The new site design is much clearer and easier to read, and fits a lot more information into the front page. A major new feature is IT LOADS IN A DECENT AMOUNT OF TIME! I'm on Broadband and the old one took about 60 seconds to load. Imagine it on Dialup!

The only thing I would have changed is to dump that CGI Rat that Barely resembels Mickey and Collegues that Barely resembel other Disney characters featured on the Upper Left of the page and replace it with Mickey and the Gang, making them more promentent on the page. A featre that I like, but it sure to go missed by most is the option to change the character displyed by clicking on the little mouse head under the CGI Rat that Barely resembels Mickey. Mine's Set to CGI Dog that Barely resembels Goofy.

Otherwise I'm happy, and would love to see the rest of the Bloted Multi-Media Monstrosity that is Walt Disney World's Offical Website be brought up to these standards. Maybe they can fix Disneyland's next, which needs a major cosmetic re-haul.

It's funny, because it is similar to the way I would of designed it if I had the job of fixing the website.

You can see the site here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/index
    Last edited by drnilescrane; 02-10-2006 at 04:37 AM.

Re: New WDW Homepage

I must be the only one in the world the LOVES the CGI redo of the characters!

The Disney characters have evolved many times over the years and I see this as a natural progression.

BACK ON TOPIC:

The new page looks great!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• e komo mai

The WDW homepage has too many words and white space and not enough pictures on it...

I work for a large travel company that does most of our sales from our website. There is actually a trend toward the type of site you are seeing for WDW.

TONS of information and links to ALL aspects of the site on the homepage. Our research has shown that people don't visit these type of sites for pretty photos. They go to the site for information that is easy to find, organized in a logical way, and easy navigation.

We recently redid our site worldwide and the response has been good.

Looks to me like the WDW site has done exactly what most consumers want.

Good job!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Disney Memory Maker

Uhhhhggggg... I think the new frontpage looks horrible. It's like one big barron wasteland. In fact, the only thing I like about the new page are the CGI characters. I think with the single exception of Goofy, all the characters look spot on (the best one being Donald). I also don't like how the clips keep playing. Unlike the old site (which played the 50th clip & that's it), the new one keeps rotating between the MYW clip (which music I don't like) and a shortened 50th clip. But my main gripe is just how plain the site looks now. It's too empty for me.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Again the site is designed to be informative and easy to navigate. Not to appeal to Disney fans looking for pretty pictures and characters.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Disney Memory Maker

I have to disagree. They turned it into a vacation planning site, when it has been (up until now) an information site. To me, a format like this is 10 times better than the front page. In fact, I find the low-bandwidth version of the site to be 10 times better than the high-bandwidth home page.

Oh and for the comment before on Disney using Flash.... just switch to the low-bandwidth format & there will be no Flash.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

I think it's great actually. All the information that you need can be clicked on from the front page. Very intuitive and easy to use.

I think one of the things that we tend to forget (as APs and as CMs) is that they aren't designing or doing things for the regular die-hards like us... things like the new design of the website is designed for the casual, vacationer in mind. One that doesn't go every weekend or more then once a week.

Not everyone has the patience to click through four pages to get to the Park Hours or whatever... it's all simple, clean, and readily available on the front page.

Hopefully they'll change the Disneyland Resort page to reflect the new design... because our website is awful.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Exactly! The site is designed to make planning a vacation easy, not entertain Diehard Disney Fans!

Like I said we have done research on this people are sick of websites that are filled with loads of pretty pictures and no information. If you look at a number of major websites you will see this trend continue. Simple, easy to navigate and loaded with information.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Having a Grand Day!

I'm a disney Diehard and I feel that the site as a whole, is horrible. You just can't get the imformation you wan't when you need it, because you have to tread through a heap of Flash and Quicktime movies to get there. Then when you do get to the right section of the website, the infomation isn't there. The new homepage has been designed to get to the information quickly, and as a bonus looks good too.

There are certain assumed 'standards' that are beggining to develop in website design in regards to the layout of information, and up untill now Disney did nothing to conform to them in the effort to 'look pretty'. Mimimalist web Design, i.e. information before graphics, is what's hip at the moment, and If you don't like it you can crawl back under your rock to relieve the days of Hot Pink text on Magenta Backgrounds.

I am confused by your post Niles, do you like the new site or not?

I feel it is a HUGE improvement over the old site in terms of ease of use and content.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Having a Grand Day!

I love the new homepage - I hate the rest of the website. All the pages need to be pulled up to the new standard set by the Homepage.Disney need to fix the problem that is now a common knee-jerk reaction to go straight to Allearsnet rather than the Official WDW homepage, simply because it is faster to get the info from Deb Willis, and is probably more up to date as well as being more complete.

Using my knowledge of Flash, I maganged to pull the PNG Image sources for the CGI characters (rather than what most people do which is print screen it). On IE 7 (Beta) & and FF they should be transperent.

Here they are (feel free to right click and save):

Mickey:

Donald:

Goofy:

Pluto:

and Cinderella????

The Goofy and Cinerella are creepy!

I haven't done much exploring but the homepage rocks!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Banned User

Cinderella got a nose job I guess. She looks like Barbie.

I like the new site. They got rid of that flashy and false 50th intro. I like the layout and how it provides direct links to specifics. They definately cleaned it up. The inner parts of the site are basically the same. I also love how the music is crisp and clear. Like Niles said, I hope they get they to Disneyland's next. That is an ugly homepage.

• Having a Grand Day!

I think Daisy or Minnie should of been there instead of Cinderella.

The thing I hate the most about the characters is the shading and the lack of texture. They look much better in flat colors instead of the false three-dimensional look.

I don't actualy mind the modern style Mickey Disney Australia uses on their 404 pages (I think they may have originated from one of those Radio Disney records):

It looked quite good in a Mock Logo Update I did for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (Bordem was the Inspiration...)

(Me)

compared to:

(Actual)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast