Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Overrated and Underrated Attractions

What Walt Disney World Resort attractions do you feel are overrated and/or underrated and why?

In the interest of sparking a good discussion, please try to support why or why not you feel an attraction is overrated or underrated.

I'll be posting mine later tonight.
    Last edited by Twist_of_Fate; 02-11-2006 at 04:08 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Overrated and Underrated Attractions

Overrated: Test Track. Leaps to mind instantly. Nothing really magical about it. The thrill is a very short one, the rest of the ride is start and stop, and the lines are always way to long for what the ride gives. I'll still FP ride it though.

Overrated: Pooh. It's a good dark ride, but for the lines and the waits people give it I'd again expect more "magic", though it has it, just not as much as say Peter Pan (especially for the line). I'll still ride it though.

Overrated: Honey I Shrunk the Audiance. Maybe not by fans but by toursits, always saying "oh EPCOT, that Honey 3D Movie...". Yuk. I never like it though. I skip that one.

Underrated: El Rio Del Tiempo. Such a fun ride, you can't ride and not smile. Good music, cheesy to the point of laughter scenes, and still that classic feeling.

Underrated: Muppet Vision 3D. It's not old, or outdated. The humor in that show is so much funnier and so much more timeless than the jokes in things like Stitch.

Underrated: The Enchanted Tiki Room under New Management. Yeah it's jokes were made for a specific time, hence they are now outdated, but the show still has Tiki Room charm, a bit more upbeat music, and frankly if you find it makes no sense, well neither did the other one. This is just as cohersive of a show as the old one. You just have to smile and believe.

Underrated: Ellen's Energy Adventure. Great story. Great music. Still a funny show. I t has many naysayers who think it should go, but it is great.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I think the Timekeeper was vastly underrated....and I miss it these days
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Know More Than You Should

Overrated - Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management - A cute show, but doesn't live up to the original by anymeans. The original is corny but fun in it's own way, while this new version is just lame.

Underrated - Hall of Presidents - Infamous for it's long introduction, it's still an amazing show and there is nothing quite like seeing all of those animatronics on one stage. Nowawadays, it's attendence seems to be mostly because of the icy-cold air conditioning in the lobby.

Underrated - Tomorrowland Transit Authority - I love the Peoplemover, and that view of Space Mountain is just awesome.

Underatted - Carousel of Progress - While not as good as the original version, the CoP is still a good show, and I hope it will remain for years to come (and, maybe even return to DL. One can wish...)

Underratted - The Timekeeper - It really is a great show; Robin William's antics are hallarious. Hopefully it will return soon.

Overrated - Wishes - It's good. It's just not that good. Very choppy (lots of starts and stops) and doesn't have a very imaginative story line. I liked the old Fantasy in the Sky show better. It certainly can't compare to Remember... Dreams Come True in California.

Underrated - Ellen's Energy Adventure - A fun attraction, but it's placement, like the neighborring Wonders of Life pavillion, means many visitors pass right over it.

• Married and happy again!!

Overrrated - Test Track. It has super long lines and only delivers a few thrills also it also breaks down frquently. I do still ride it but only if fast passes are still to be had.

Underrated - El Rio Del Tiempo. A fun ride perhaps a little chesse with jokes. Still it is informative has great music and the cool black light lite night scene compleat with fiber optic fireworks. I love that scene. It is still a must ride for me and my family.

Underrated - Muppet Vision 3D. Sure it has been a round for years and is the predicesor to Mikey's Philharmagic and It's Tough To Be A Bug also Hony I shrunk The Aduience but it has held up quite well over the years. Heck how can you not love the finally of the show? I mean you blow up the theater you have to love it.

Overrated - The Enchanted Tiki Room under New Management. I'm sorry it lost the charm of the original. Give me back my original Enchanted Tiki Room

Overrated - Ellen's Energy Adventure. While the story maybe alittle more entertaining I just can't stand Ellen (not a big Bill Nye fan either). It is another on where I prefered the original version. Heck I cheer for the Dino to eat Ellen (in the primevil world section) everytime I ride it (darn he never does though LOL).

Underrated - Carousel Of Progress. A ride Walt designed and still a great one. I don't really mind the updates on this one. I love to go on this every trip. Remember "It's A Great Big Beautiful Tommorow" .

Underrated - Time Keeper. This is a fun attraction. I kind of feel it doesn't get the respect it deserves due to the fact you stand during the whole show. Maybe it would be better liked if seatting was put in (I feel it's worth a shot).

Overrated - Dinosaure. To long of lines and for what? An extremly dark ride with just not enough to see. I personaly say we have the ride system tear this sucker out and remodel it into some sort of Indy themed ride. There has to be someway to fit it in at DAK.

Overrated - Rock'N'Roller Coaster Featuring Aerosmith. As an avid Aerosmith fan I could hardly wait for this to open. Saddly it ended up only being a so-so coaster. It is great themeing though.

Underrated - MGM's Fantasmic. This is not so much underrated by the WDW fans but is way underrated by the Disneyland fans. While DL's version is a great show so is MGM's! Each is slightly diffrent and that is what makes each great. Disneyland fans sometime tend to take cheapshots at MGM's show due to our use of some diffrent villains and we have Pocahantas instead of Peter Pan. Well honestly I prefer the Pocahantas section to thier Peter Pan. I like our ending with Mickey on top of the mountain. But I love the ships use for Dl's version much more than our plywood (as everyone so unkindly points out) boat.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Disney Memory Maker

Underrated: Sounds Dangerous- I love this show. Drew Carey is so funny in it.

Underrated: DMGM's Fantasmic- I love this show too. Sorcerer Mickey on top of the mountain at the end is my favorite moment in all of Disney World.

Overrated: Original Tiki Room- That show was so boring. I remember hating seeing it. Imo, the new version is 10 times better.

Underrated: Stitch's Great Escape- I love the sarcastic, over-the-top humor in this show. It kept the best elements of AE and added a family-friendly overlay and more treats.

Underrated: Ellen's Energy Adventure- Ellen is so funny & this attraction is 10000 times better than the original. And besides the comedy, this attraction has the best music in all of Epcot (and they know how to pump the music hear too)

Overrated: O' Canada- (or as I like to call it NO' Canada) This is the only attraction I walked out early on. It was just so boring.

Underrated: Dinorama- Although not the best area of AK, this section is good in its own right. To start with, it is incredibly themed (it is themed so good that people actually think that Disney just stuck a few rides on a parking lot & called it Dinorama). Secondly, this mini-land has a whole story to it....not something you can say of many other lands in WDW. Finally, this area shines at night. Are there things I would change? Yes, I would get rid of the carnival games and replace it with other carnival theming. But other than that, I really like this mini-land.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

^^OK Mikey ... you posted those choices just to get me to take a shot at you, right? (please ... please ... do not tell me you like Dinorama and Stitch's Great Bodily Function Show, but have issues with the orginal Tiki Room and Universe of Energy attractions and O' Canada!)

If so, you truly are the kind of guest WDW is targeting these days ...

Please, Mr. 4,145 posts, tell me you just are trying to get a rise out of folks like me who remember what Disney attractions are supposed to be because you are bored.

• Disney Memory Maker

WDW1974, you either...
    A) are paranoid
    B) love starting arguments & want me to increase my post count
    C) can't recognize that other people have differing opinions
    or D) can't recognize that I have differing opinions

I said what I meant & I meant what I said!

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

In the interest of not upping Mike's post count, I'd just like to point out that he gave props to Ellen's Energy Adventure.

As for O' Canada, I agree with his assessment. That particular film, and the other films in World Showcase, I simply cannot be interested in. I feel those attractions are hardly creative or imaginative. Sure, we have Circlevision, but the Timekeeper is a better example of what to do with that technology.

Also, I would say that the Original Tiki room is rather overrated. Sure, it's good, and it's a classic, but the pacing just seems so off. I mean, both Tiki rooms are fantastic in their own right, but I find the original far overrated.

My full list is still forthcoming.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

You know what ride I find vastly overrated? Star Tours. Granted, it's the first simulator of its kind, and it makes us of a vastly popular franchise, but after you've done it a few times, it just gets boring. Hopefully if and when they redo it, it will be much more cutting edge and exciting. I'd pick Body Wars over Star Tours any day. There is just no interest for me there anymore.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

You know I have to agree with that assesment of Wishes...it's good but for what it was hyped to be...yeah didn't reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I said what I meant & I meant what I said!

-Michael

Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    In the interest of not upping Mike's post count, I'd just like to point out that he gave props to Ellen's Energy Adventure.
    Yes, he did. But also bashed the original in the process. Given his age, he must have been 6 or 7 when the orginal closed, so while I can't fault him for enjoying the current version -- which I also enjoy -- you have to take his opinion on the older version with a a few grain of salt.

As for O' Canada, I agree with his assessment. That particular film, and the other films in World Showcase, I simply cannot be interested in. I feel those attractions are hardly creative or imaginative. Sure, we have Circlevision, but the Timekeeper is a better example of what to do with that technology.
    I agree with your point about the technology, but the movies themselves are wonderful travelogues. That's all they were supposed to be. Now O'Canada may be quite dated, but it still shows some beautiful Canadian vistas and has a nice musical score as well.

Impressions de France is spectacular as it relies on the scenery and classical music to tell almost the entire story with minimal dialogue.

Refletions of China was redone a few years back ... and made shorter naturally to fit with the lower attention spans of some guests, but still is a a wonderful introduction to the country.

These movies aren't supposed to be 90 second thrill rides.

Also, I would say that the Original Tiki room is rather overrated. Sure, it's good, and it's a classic, but the pacing just seems so off. I mean, both Tiki rooms are fantastic in their own right, but I find the original far overrated.

My full list is still forthcoming.
    The pacing has been a bit off since they lopped off the Offenbach piece at DL a few years back. But it is a classic and still packs them in in Anaheim. The WDW version doesn't appear nearly as popular. I don't really like it ... too much yelling by Iago and 90s music (BLECH!!!!). The new AA goddess is nice enough with fluid motion etc ...

I'm not saying that it is boring solely because of length or anything. I just feel it is boring because there isn't much to engage me in the ride or attraction itself. Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, and Travel Channel all have stuff pretty similar to the things they are showing in the movies. At the point where the attraction/films has something that engages me or puts me into the experience, it at least better thrill me because that makes up for it (Examples: California Screamin', Primeval Whirl, Mulholland Madness, etc) Then again, I'm not that big on edutainment to begin with, so that may just be me=P.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Underrated: Sounds Dangerous- I love this show. Drew Carey is so funny in it.

Underrated: DMGM's Fantasmic- I love this show too. Sorcerer Mickey on top of the mountain at the end is my favorite moment in all of Disney World.

Overrated: Original Tiki Room- That show was so boring. I remember hating seeing it. Imo, the new version is 10 times better.

Underrated: Stitch's Great Escape- I love the sarcastic, over-the-top humor in this show. It kept the best elements of AE and added a family-friendly overlay and more treats.

Underrated: Ellen's Energy Adventure- Ellen is so funny & this attraction is 10000 times better than the original. And besides the comedy, this attraction has the best music in all of Epcot (and they know how to pump the music hear too)

Overrated: O' Canada- (or as I like to call it NO' Canada) This is the only attraction I walked out early on. It was just so boring.

Underrated: Dinorama- Although not the best area of AK, this section is good in its own right. To start with, it is incredibly themed (it is themed so good that people actually think that Disney just stuck a few rides on a parking lot & called it Dinorama). Secondly, this mini-land has a whole story to it....not something you can say of many other lands in WDW. Finally, this area shines at night. Are there things I would change? Yes, I would get rid of the carnival games and replace it with other carnival theming. But other than that, I really like this mini-land.
    This is the first time that I've heard somebody come forward with something positive to say about Stitch, Dinorama, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Sounds Dangerous and the new Tiki Room show all in one shot. I find it quite refreshing. There is a set of people on this board that lash out at anyone that doesn't share their negative opinions - especially where Stitch, Dinorama, and new versions of the Tiki Room are concerned.

It appears as though they -

A) Don't like change, and are afraid of it in many cases.
    B) Don't care for family friendly attractions, yet desire the classic ones to never be changed.
    C) Find attractions that include a sense of humor to be childish.
    D) Feel that those who have differing opinions are misguided, if not disfunctional.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-12-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast