Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Reaver of Souls

Animal Kingdom opinions

Just curious, how much time would a normal visit to AK take, for 2 adults, not planning to eat there? I know everest will be a must when I visit, but other than that, I know very little about the park. Opinions?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Official MC Thread Killer

I'd say at least a day, especially when E:E opens. There is a lot more to do there than people think. For instance, take a train ride out to the Conservation Station or explore one of the park's many expedition trails, they're beautiful. I would also return one afternoon, to repeat the favorites. I spend a lot of time at AK on my visits, it's my favorite park

• Uber Disney freak! ºOº

Well, are you a stop & smell the roses type? Or are you a do it, rush to the next thing, repeat kinda couple? If stop & smell the roses, DAK is EASILY a full day park. If you're only interested in hitting the safari, Dinosaur, ITtbaB, and Festival of the Lion King, you can be done in 3 1/2 hours or so if you arrive at opening.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    If you're only interested in hitting the safari, Dinosaur, ITtbaB, and Festival of the Lion King, you can be done in 3 1/2 hours or so if you arrive at opening.
    That sounds more like me... Toss Everest in there, and if we go on an early opening day, we could be done by lunch! That's what I wanted to hear!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

DAK isn't a ride park, it's a stop and look at the animals, flora and incredible vistas WDI created out of Florida scrub forest and experience a few wonderful attractions kind of park ... you can easily do all the non-animal 'attractions' if it isn't busy before lunch and run out to go ride Space Mountain 11 times in a row.

But, if you do that, you kind of miss the whole point of the place ...

Don't miss the festival of the lion king show, it's awesome. The safari is a must. If you choose to do kali river rapids, save it for last because you will get soaked! I thought EE wasn't opening until 2006???

Although Disney claims AK is Nahtazu (not a zoo) in reality it is. Would you zip through your local zoo in just a few hours? I think not. The reason for going to a zoo in the first place is to see the animals. Animal Kingdom is one of the best Zoo's I have been too, the best being Brookfield Zoo outside of my hometown of Chicago, Take time to explore the beauty of the park. The rides are good, but, many can be found elsewhere, so it's not anything special (at least til Everest opens). Animal Kingdom is a "take slow and leisurely " place. Enjoy the beauty of it

• Minion

My wife and I have visted AK about 10 times and we do the park in a half day easily. We usually get there when the park opens and head out after eating lunch. We do all the main attractions (but sometimes skip the Kali Rapids due to extremely wet experiences) and then maybe a walk through to see a show or some animals.

However, on your first trip, you might want to take your time and soak it all in. I guess it all depends on the type of park goer you are. After seeing the animals a few times, I get a bit fidgety and am ready to move on because there is just soooo much to do on property (I'm a faster paced park goer)! Don't get me wrong, the park is wonderfully themed and the animals are incredible to check out (my favorites are the Maharajah Jungle Trek and the underwater hippo/fish viewing area on the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail) , I just tend get a little bored with the animal encounters after seeing them a couple of times a year.

Be sure to look for an 8ft. tall "Divine" while walking around (I think at the beginning of the path between Africa and Asia). One of the performers who plays "Divine" is a friend of mine!

Let us know what you think of AK!
    Aaron

• The Candidate

Re: Animal Kingdom opinions

Quote Originally Posted by karliebug
    If you choose to do kali river rapids, save it for last because you will get soaked!
    My son and I went on the rapids four times in a row and didn't get wet once! Everyone else in the boat did, but not us. The rest of the family tried to get us at the end and even that didn't work.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    Nahtazu (not a zoo)
    We watched a week's worth of the in-room propoganda before I realized what they were trying to say. All poud of myself I tell the family that it's Not A Zoo. The seven year old looks at me and said "they've been saying that all week. Usually it is my wife that is clueless. I guess I left my brain at home with all of the other tourists!

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Just curious, how much time would a normal visit to AK take, for 2 adults, not planning to eat there? I know everest will be a must when I visit, but other than that, I know very little about the park. Opinions?
    Make sure to take a trip over to the AK Lodge. My family reluctantly tried the African restaurant (they are very picky eaters). Everyone found something new that they liked but my wife did most of her eating off of the children's table.

• The one, the only...

I have been there without children. I slow down. I see all the shows. I get there early, when it first opens (to get the best view of the animals). I have to say that even with a sit down lunch I have run out of things to do by 3:30 to 4PM. I recommend to make a trip to Boma for Dinner to round out the day. You can do some animal watching from the AK Lodge too to fill some time before dinner.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Do both the Pangani Forest Exploation trail, and the Majarajah jumgle trek...defintely worth it. And am I the only one who thinks the Festival of the Lion King is overrrated?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

^^ Nope - it doesn't do it for me, either. I'll catch it every couple of years or so, but it's not a must see.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    But, if you do that, you kind of miss the whole point of the place ...
    Oh my gosh...somebody call the medics...I'm agreeing with you.

Although you could theoretically do the attractions extremely quickly, what's the fun in that? This last vacation, I spend 4 half days there (we do 2 parks a day). Everything there is so detailed and so fun. Don't forget to do Primeval Whirl (unless of course you hate spinning). That ride is a blast. And I love how Dinosaur scares newbies. Here's a tip (especially if you are on property & take advantage of EMH), do Pangani first thing in the morning and save the safari until as late as possible (the gorillas seem more active in the morning and you'll actually get to see a lot of animals (including the ever-sleeping lion) awake). Also, although Flights of Wonders can be a little save-the-animals-ish, Guano Jane/Joe is pretty funny.

So if your really in a rush (or just want to go fast), then yeah...depending on the time of year you'll be able to do the main attractions pretty fast. But if you want to trully take in AK's beauty, I suggest staying at least a day (if not more).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast