Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Expedition Everest in Times Square Feb 15 & 16.

Hello...

This is the press release for the Expedition Everest promo happening tomorrow and Thursday in Times Square. I'm quite stoked about seeing this, but I can't find show times ANYWHERE and have looked on several Disney sites, and Google searches. Please... does anyone know the show schedule? I live in Manhattan and could so easily go see this.. and really would like to see the show. Thanks for the help..!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expedition Everest Set for Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Posted on January 19, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) – A new ride called Expedition Everest is opening at Disney World's Animal Kingdom in Orlando in April, but New Yorkers will get a peek at the excitement when Disney brings a preview to Times Square next month. Disney plans to transform the exteriors of the W Hotel and the adjacent Argent building at Broadway and 47th Street into a gigantic backdrop of Mount Everest. An aerial acrobatic troupe will perform there Feb. 15 and 16 on a stage 57 stories high, rappelling down the mountain and coming face to face with a Himalayan yeti – the legendary abominable snowman. An animatronic beast will also be part of the thrill when the ride opens at the Florida theme park. The attraction is designed to resemble an old mountain railway, taking guests to the foot of Mount Everest through bamboo forests, past thundering waterfalls and into snowcapped peaks before plunging through canyons to an encounter with the angry yeti. Expedition Everest will be surrounded by a mythical village at Animal Kingdom called Serka Zong. Based on research by a Disney team that traveled to Nepal, the village will be decorated with prayer flags and carvings and will include buildings, plants and trees designed to look like the real thing. On their way to boarding the train, riders can see artifacts from Nepalese culture and learn about the yeti, the Himalayas and the mountaineers who've climbed Everest. Disney researchers were accompanied on their trips to Asia by teams from Conservation International and the Discovery Networks. Discovery plans to air a series of cable specials in April about the journey and the creation of the Disney ride. Although the ride officially opens April 7, Disney will start informal test runs on Expedition Everest next month, so you might have a chance to check it out if you're visiting Orlando in February or March. Children must be at least 44 inches tall to ride.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Banned User

Re: Expedition Everest in Times Square Feb 15 & 16.

I posted on this as well...and I hope some of you up there go and take pics... however, someone else on LP.com posted that the stunt could be delayed due to this past week's weather delaying the arrival of equipment and climbers into the NYC area... Go take pics Ron!!!

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I posted on this as well...and I hope some of you up there go and take pics... however, someone else on LP.com posted that the stunt could be delayed due to this past week's weather delaying the arrival of equipment and climbers into the NYC area... Go take pics Ron!!!
    I'm sorry to have missed your posts about this TDL...

I'm hoping the stunt show is not delayed, I'll have to go check out LP. Tonight on the way home from work I passed four trucks with WIDE LOAD on them each carrying identical trailers wider than the actual traffic lane. I have absolutely no way of knowing what they were or where they were heading, but I wondered if they might be headed the direction of Times Square. I thought to myself, "I wonder if that's for the event...." But.. I dunno.

Anyway, whether I get to see the show or not, I most definitely will be taking photos of the Expedition Everest billboards and post them here on MiceChat. Thanks for the help, TDL!
    Last edited by RonNYC; 02-14-2006 at 10:28 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Here are some pictures courtesy of Disney...
    Pic 1
    Pic 2
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Thanks for posting pics Mikey. Gugi was there this morning and offered his point of view elsewhere.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Those eyes are freaky, they just look so awful up close. Lol.

• far, far away from DL

On the Tony Danza show today they showed Tony climbing the picture of the yeti and showed the camp. They talked to an imagineer. Tony asked him several questions. He asked him what an imagineer was. Duh! I had to turn it after that dumb question.

Sabrina

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, I was there this morning and saw the "show". It was at 10 am, so they may do that again tomorrow morning, but I can't be sure.

The billboards are pretty bland for Times Square standards, and the event as a whole was pretty underwhelming. I did like the musical score they composed just for this though. I also really wanted to get into that media "base camp"! I'll bet there was some food and goodies in there! On the street they were handing out "passports" advertising Everest, but that was pretty much it.

I wish that the billboards had 3-D parts to them, like the coaster trains and the yeti. As it is, it's very blah...

• Disney Memory Maker

If anyone is in the city tomorrow & sees the Yeti's eyes light up at approx 3:16am, that is from me.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, as for show specifics. They cranked up the music at 10 am. After about a minute of that, the climber came out from the bottom of the smaller yeti billboard and started to climb. As he climbed the "mountain", four acrobats came out and started to twirl and bounce off the billboard. They didn't climb to the top, but stayed somewhere near the middle. So, while Mr. Mountaineer was climbing and climbing, they were twirling and jumping. He made it up to the top, right over the yeti's face (Yeti should have eaten him!), and to the top of the billboard. At that point smoke bursts came out and a tiny bit of confetti was released all to the swelling music. After that, it was over.

It was kind of funny, because for a while there was a flock of pigeons that was flying in formation all around the billboard and it looked like part of the show, but I think they were just scared by the commotion!

• Munchings & Crunchings

"If anyone is in the city tomorrow & sees the Yeti's eyes light up at approx 3:16am, that is from me. "

LOL, yeah, I'll be there!!

• Munchings & Crunchings

If you're there at 5:36 am tomorrow morning, that will be mine!!

• Disney Memory Maker

I'm wondering what it's going to look like at night. Did they light up the eyes this morning/last night (while it was dark)?

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, they did flash red, and they seemed bright, but that could also be because the sun was beaming on them. I'm curious to see what they look like at night too.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Hey Gang..

Went to Times Square a bit after Noon today to check out EE on my to work.

Not much going on, just some press stuff. I inquired about the rapelling shows and was told that the one and only time it happened was at 10AM, and that I had missed it. I was also told that other scheduled rapelling had been cancelled. Seems the rapelling team and Disney were uncomfortable with some of the conditions, and that in the interest of safety that they had been scrapped. There was a small rock climbing wall near the base camp that some people were climbing, however.

Anyway... I snapped a handful of photos of the billboard, and the base camp. As I was getting ready to leave, Mickey and Goofy came out in hiking attire so I got some photos of them too. Their costumes are really cool, and the texture of the fabrics is very nice. The pictures look better full sized, but for the interest of posting here they've all been resized.

After work I went back and took a few shots of the billboard at night. The eyes do glow quite red. (BTW.. my time is 12:42 PM Thursday afternoon)....

I felt so touristy geeky doing this today, and ya know what? I had fun playing Times Square tourist, and enjoyed having a pocket of WDW in my town for the day.

Enjoy the pics...

Billboard by day:

Base Camp:

Rock Climbers:

Goofy:

Mickey (full costume shot)

Mickey (costume from behind)

Mickey in close up:

Billboard at night:

Glowing Eyes close-up:
    Last edited by RonNYC; 02-16-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast