Exclamation Best way to get to Universal Orlando when staying on Disney property?

Hey everyone,

We're heading to WDW in late April, and would like to spend a day at Islands of Adventure. What's the best way to do this? Do any of the Downtown Disney hotels offer shuttle service to non-guests of the hotel? We're staying at CBR and don't plan on renting a car. If it's impossible to do this without a car, are there any car rental places within a short distance?

I can't be the only person who's ever wanted to do this!

Thanks in advance!

• Banned User

Re: Best way to get to Universal Orlando when staying on Disney property?

I don't think the hotels at DTD would offer service to a competing themed park outside WDW. I am sure there are taxis and other private transports you could call and hire to get you there... It's only a 10 minutes ride from DTD to Universal in good traffic so a taxi would not be that expensive I'd suppose. I would call the hotel you are going to be staying at and ask their guest service desk for options..

Thanks for the advice!

I did read that the non-Disney DTD hotels do have pay-shuttles to Sea World and Universal, but I didn't know if they offered the service to people not staying at the hotel.

Firstly, spending a day at Island of Adventure is an excellent decision. It is an amazing theme park with more amazing rides and technology than any Disney theme park on American soil.

Secondly, alas there is no easy way to get to the park without your own car. A payed shuttle would be your cheapest option, along with chartering a Mears bus that will be picking up other people. Of couse, this means you work with others schedules and not your own.

Of course, there is a taxi, which will run you $20-25 one way plus gratuity if you wish. That is obviously a pricey trip.

All this bad news aside, I still hope you go. Be sure to ride Spiderman and go through Poseidon's Fury - it may not be a full on "ride" but go see it anyway!

• Yay, Blunt Force Trauma!!

Quote Originally Posted by iAmJacksDLand
    Firstly, spending a day at Island of Adventure is an excellent decision. It is an amazing theme park with more amazing rides and technology than any Disney theme park on American soil.
    I'm confused.... besides Spiderman, what technology do they employ that Disney doesn't?

• Banned User

first you get on I-4 west.. drive towards Tampa.. then get off at Busch gardens.. spend a few horus there... wait.. sorry..

um... no clue.. try renting a car.. or getting a town car to pick you up...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HMFan
    I'm confused.... besides Spiderman, what technology do they employ that Disney doesn't?
    The water vortex... that's it. lol But it's not the tech. It's the park itself. It's really a neat park. It's the Disney park that Disney didn't build. With Roller Coasters that don't fit anything else... but they're fun to ride.

It's the Disney park that Disney didn't build.
    haha, that's exactly the way I described it the last time I was there. We had a car rented for the entire time that go, but we're leaving the week-of-car out this time. I think we may just rent a car for the day from the car rental outlet near EPCOT, that oughta work out fine.

Thanks for all the help, you guys!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by allllex
    I think we may just rent a car for the day from the car rental outlet near EPCOT, that oughta work out fine.
    Car Rental is cheaper if 1) a r/t taxi ride costs more expensive; or 2) paying per person based on r/t fare is more expensive.

Also take in concideration the parking fee at Universal is $9 (assuming you don't request valet or preffered parking and trust me... do not do either, not worth it)

And may I repeat myself... The ride from DTD to UNiversal is about 10-15 mins each way... Do you really want to rent a car you'll be driving for only a few miles??? Do research how much every option is before you jump into renting a car, and do keep in mins...some rental offices, such as those inside Disney property.. may charge a bit more than those off property or at the airport, since they are used as a last minute option and tend to take advantage of that. Do your homework before making hasty decisions for such a short drive up I-4.

• Closed Account

Actually, they sort of DID build it, INDIRECTLY. IOA was built by almost everyone who got fired from DLP and DAK.

I took a look at Alamo because they have two locations on WDW property, one at the Swan and one at the Car Care Center just outside of the Magic Kingdom parking lot. The daily rate for a compact would be approx $44.82 to have the car for the day. I wouldn't recommend using Mears or something like that because they tend to charge per person, and the taxi rates from what I roughly remember are kind of pricy. Most of the Disney hotels will setup a courtesy shuttle to take you from the hotel to the Car Care Center, I did that in Septemember when I was staying at the Polynesian and needed a car for the day. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79

Actually, they sort of DID build it, INDIRECTLY. IOA was built by almost everyone who got fired from DLP and DAK.
    That is an urban legend.

hahaha, most boring urban legend EVER