Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: My big ol' 7 day WDW TR - with pictures and more!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTheBeast
    [With a scant 7 days, I don't understand why you skipped around so much. I mean, when I first went to WDW, there was nothing there except MK and EPCOT. (It was still an acronym back then) and seven days was barely enough.
    Mostly because I was by myself and just moved at the pace I wanted to. That meant skipping over some things.

And yeah, there were a couple things I forgot to mention in the TR and weren't worth mentioning because I didn't have any real impressions or pictures to share. Stuff like the Wishes fireworks show, which was nice, but appearantly so unmemorable that I didn't remember it.

Seems at EPCOT you missed eating at the grill on the top level of The Land. The rotating restaurant is an attraction in itself.
    I pretty much sustained on fast food the whole trip, yes, because that's what I could afford. I accidentally lost $100 of cash on day two and while I take responsibility for that, that had to impact my trip somehow, and dining was what was impacted.

Although looking at the menu, there's not much there that I'm wild about anyway.

Did you skip over the whole Nations section? There are many great old fashioned attractions in Mexico, Norway, Japan, Germany, and the best singers in WDW are in the American hall.
    I went there with the idea to do certain things and I mostly accomplished those things. I knew there were rides in Norway and Mexico, and I wanted to see Japan because that country interested me and I was curious what stuff they sold at the dept store there, etc. I did miss the American Adventure because I thought it was yet another movie like O' Canada or the France movie. If I had known otherwise, I would have went.

Did you skip the Indiana Jones show and the Backstage Tour, and Star Tours, and Muppetvision?
    I've done Star Tours before at Disneyland. That experience taught me that I can't do simulators, and I mande an exception of that rule for Mission SPACE because it's supposed to be state of the art.

MuppetVision is almost as great the third time as PhilharMagic was the first time.

Indy I didn't see, I tried to see what was considered the "best" entertainment while leaving time to wander around, so I saw some things like the Lion King show at DAK and SpectroMagic while skipping other things like Indy and LMA.

I may be jumping the gun, it's just I never found parkhopping to be an efficient way of covering the parks, with the exception of coming early to whichever park opens early for park guests and staying late at whichever park in open late.
    ]
    Maybe I did spend so much time looking at the forest that I didn't get a close look at any of the trees, but I'm satisfied with my visit, and that's what matters most, isn't it? I didn't get to do everything I didn't want to (PI, Epcot), and I spent more time in places that I didn't think I would (Magic Kingdom) but it wasn't a disaster.

I know there's a lot more to do than what I did, but I came, I saw, I widened my eyeballs at the price of the T-shirt.

• Banned User

That was fun to read I can't wait until I go to WDW this December!

What exactly is the purpose of this thread? You sound to me like you walk through life with a big chip on your shoulder always looking at the negative. If WDW is that bad then you should just stay home.

• Former Epcot CM

Heard (sorry, read) it all before. MiceChat isn't WDWMagic.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

gripshod --

I think you are being unduly harsh. I'm pretty new here, but my impression of MickeyMania from reading his posts is that he is a longtime DL fan who lives out west and has never visited WDW and was excited about his first trip. I think it is natural for people who "grew up" on Disneyland to prefer it to WDW, likewise those who know WDW best probably prefer it to DL. And he was probably curious to see how WDW measures up to what he's always known.

Anyway, he was just sharing his first big WDW experience with everybody else. I thought it was a fun read, and I think his sometimes "snarky" commentary added to the fun of it, even if I didn't agree with all his observations.

If that's not your thing, you don't have to follow the thread, it was pretty clearly labeled. I don't think it was intended as anything other than having some fun, so I don't see why you're throwing out something negative like that.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wow...2 first time posters and both seems to be critising your vacation...ouch. Honestly it doesn't seem you ran and ran enough for my taste...but sounds like you still enjoyed your vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTheBeast
    Seems at EPCOT you missed eating at the grill on the top level of The Land. The rotating restaurant is an attraction in itself.
    Yeah well to each thier own...I hated this restaurant...so I'm not going back...so I think he did himself a favor by skipping that one.

I mean it is not like he is documenting every second of his trip report...he's doing it by the highlights. Most posters do one post for the whole week that are smaller than MickeyMania's...the critiques seem a bit harsh.

Bah, yes, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I would get flames.

My main point was to share a little bit of what Doopey1 mention but to also answer with my opinion on a lot of issues we've talked about here in the past. Stuff like hideously dirty restrooms/trash, Stitch's Great Escape and whether it's worth seeing or not, housekeeping quality, etc.

I am certainly not the person with the biggest chip on my shoulder in the WDW forum! There are a couple names here I could mention who are a lot more familiar with the area and could point out all kinds of maintenance failures or lazy management decisions or cutbacks that I couldn't notice if I had a month! I think in some ways the place gets a bad rap from these folks, on the other hand their experience is appreciated and sometimes even their sharpest criticisms are accurate.

My writing is a little dry, but it's not meant to be read in one sitting. That's why I didn't have the nerve to try and type it up in one! It's also why I tried to highlight the important areas that are of interest to this board (such as quality, maintenance, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

I am certainly not the person with the biggest chip on my shoulder in the WDW forum! There are a couple names here I could mention who are a lot more familiar with the area and could point out all kinds of maintenance failures or lazy management decisions or cutbacks that I couldn't notice if I had a month! I think in some ways the place gets a bad rap from these folks, on the other hand their experience is appreciated and sometimes even their sharpest criticisms are accurate.
    Sometimes??????!?????!??!?!??!

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes, like when people display their lack of faith in humanity and start calling out almost everyone else in WDW but themselves as lazy slobs or bad parents, there's no real definite right or wrong answer to that. It's an opinion. (smilie)

Other things, though, like the decline of stroller etiquette among the populace at large, or the lousyness of the Stitch ride, are spot on.

• Sock Puppet

Hey, where's that picture thread?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes, like when people display their lack of faith in humanity and start calling out almost everyone else in WDW but themselves as lazy slobs or bad parents, there's no real definite right or wrong answer to that. It's an opinion. (smilie).

Fair enough, MM.

But I do have a lack of faith in humanity. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is. Nine times out of 10, in my experience when I see someone have a chance to do the right thing or the wrong, the person chooses the wrong (even if it's easier to do the right thing).

And I never said everyone at WDW, or even the majority, are slobs (which I am on occasion) or bad parents.

Other things, though, like the decline of stroller etiquette among the populace at large, or the lousyness of the Stitch ride, are spot on.
    Well, ultmately those are just opinions too. However, you (or I) can certainly back them up with anecdotal evidence/experiences that back up those claims.

Like Stitch may have its fans, but the facts are it is a disappointment to Team Disney and is pulling in less people than Alien Encounter did. That's a fact. I think it's because the attraction is cheap, tacky and insulting but that's just my opinion.

And I enjoyed reading all your report, MM. It's interesting to get perspective from someone who isn't a WDW regular.

MM,
    Sorry. I made my post before I realized there were multiple pages to this thread. I am a newbie, and I appreciate everyone's patience with me.

Didn't ever mean to flame you. Like you grew up on DL, I have my fondest memories of my whole life revolving around my visits to WDW. I am trying so hard to get back there and take my husband and kids who have never been, so I probably have some memories that aren't quite real. For instance, my reference to the restaurant at the land, is a memory from 1984!! As is my memory of the restaurant at the Living Seas, with the Mickey shaped butter.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Everyone has a different style of covering the parks, as someone said before. Yours is certainly different from mine, but it seemed to work for you, and you're absolutely right, that is the most important thing.

LB

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    I'm pretty new here, but my impression of MickeyMania from reading his posts is that he is a longtime DL fan who lives out west and has never visited WDW and was excited about his first trip. I think it is natural for people who "grew up" on Disneyland to prefer it to WDW, likewise those who know WDW best probably prefer it to DL.
    I disagree. I basically grew up at WDW in the 70's and even worked there in the early 80s. Finally visited DL in 1985 for the first time and immediately thought of DL as a much superior park. Then headed out to TDL in 1989 and now that park is my all time favority in every respect. WDW just don't measure up for me. It's too big a place and the quality it used to offer is simply not there anymore. In the early days.. hardly anyone had as much negative opinions as many do now in regards to WDW offerings, and that is a fact.

Now you are all making me feel bad..
    At the risk of adding to that... I have to say that I do enjoy reading your trip reports basically because you compose them well and are well written, but I am beginning to wonder why you spent all that time and effort to go to WDW and skip on most of the best things WDW have to offer at present time...(Soarin, Everest, Mission Space, American Adventure etc etc) ..simply because you either "chickened out" or wanted to avoid rush at the end of the day. Seems to me you short-changed your experience at WDW with such silly excuses and makes me scratch my head and go... "why bother then?" Dont' take this personally but your TR juts seems a bit unfair since it was your decision to bypass so many areas of WDW that are a part of the experience as a whole.. Then again, WDW will never be as good as DLR or TDR but still..

TDLFAN, I did do Mission Space. It made me sit down for 10 minutes adjusting my vision and gave me a headache all the way to Pop. I wrote about it in the last page. I guess I wrote too much.

Everest simply didn't schedule out well for me. Days that I didn't have an idea of what to do already it was simply closed. And AA is something I would have seen if I had a better idea what it was. I thought it was more CircleVision. Soarin' I can do at DCA if I ever feel up to it. I spent a fair amount of time going around lands from one end to the other, knocking off attractions as I went. I did this for half of MGM, about a third of the MK, and most of Epcot. DAK I just decided to forego gawking at animals to hit the attractions that I wanted to see, and aside from Everest I got them.

This is how I approached World Showcase, and it simply bored the life out of me after about five countries. Sorry, that's just the way it is, although AA sounds neat now, by the time I was at that pavillion I was groaning about the walk to get back to the other side. One man's treasure is another man's trash, I guess. Good thing WDW offers so much if you're willing to park hop.

• Banned User

TDLFAN, I did do Mission Space. It made me sit down for 10 minutes adjusting my vision and gave me a headache all the way to Pop. I wrote about it in the last page. I guess I wrote too much.
    I have not yet read that far, sorry about that.

I spent a fair amount of time going around lands from one end to the other, knocking off attractions as I went.
    You rascal you..

This is how I approached World Showcase, and it simply bored the life out of me after about five countries. Sorry, that's just the way it is
    No need to apologize.. Truth is, I have never cared for World Showcase at all since the first day I set foot on it... that would be the first saturday in september 1982. It's a big boring shopping mall with little to do, and only appeals to those who drink and dine their way thru it. Not much else to do there... maybe I'll take a short stroll out there tonight after I do my work out..
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 02-25-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast