Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    Ypi can't say that the garbage at Disney World is because of cut backs entirely. Obver the years it is the GUESTS that simply DO NOT put trash in the provided trash cans. I see it everyday, guests drop trash wherever they are. They simply don't care at all, unlike the Japanese that respect their surroundings. Here in the US I think guests have a mission to see how much they can dirty or destroy a place, whether it's Disney or not. It seems that if something isn't nailed r cememnted in the ground it's theirs for the taking.
    Hey, I agree that many guests are complete pigs. I have seen cheeseburger basket remnants in the center of Main Street with trash cans on both sides mere feet away. I see folks that put their trash on top of a can or next to it, but not in it. You are absolutely correct that, unlike the Japanese, as a group Americans don't have respect for their surroundings or the property of others. If I get another dent in my car because some idiot decided to just swing his/her door wide open without looking/caring, I swear I might get involved in a parking lot rage incident!

But again, Disney has cutback in its maintainance workforce. the quality of the workers is also lower than what it once was.

Ultimately, it's Disney's responsibility to clean up after people, no matter how boorish their behavior is. Saying people are worse, which is true, than they were 20 years ago is no excuse for Disney letting its standards decline.

The worst parks, by far, for cleanliness are Disney-MGM (bathrooms are almost always dirty, sometimes filthy) and MK. Bad show all around.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Disney has cutback in its maintainance workforce. the quality of the workers is also lower than what it once was.

The worst parks, by far, for cleanliness are Disney-MGM (bathrooms are almost always dirty, sometimes filthy) and MK. Bad show all around.
    I agree about the restrooms too... Apart from DLRParis'.. they are in really bad condition by 11am.

As for the trash versus Custodial staffing... WDW itself made the problem much bigger since they have added so so so so many vending food/bev carts and counters all over the parks in addition to the restaurants that were there in the first place. As a matter of fact, many readily available food stands became avail after the closing of several places, such as the Adventureland Veranda and Odyssey at Epcot. The more food vending venues...the more trash output is there...and with less CM's doing custodial... the trash adds up! That is why in my assessment they can't keep up with it. Plus add to that the many people (especially kids) who have no manners and leave their trash everywhere for all to see and enjoy. People need to leave their bad habits home but in reality, this is a loosing battle now.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    All I can say is you must be VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY unbelievably lucky or just don't visit all that often. I spend many days at WDW every year, and have been there hundreds of times since 1974.
    I go there every summer. Maybe the CM's are different in the summer but I always see them smile. They are always willing to help and I've only heard one CM complain about there job. Maybe I'm extremely lucky or maybe you are just extremely unlucky.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• VBdad55
    Ypi can't say that the garbage at Disney World is because of cut backs entirely. Obver the years it is the GUESTS that simply DO NOT put trash in the provided trash cans. I see it everyday, guests drop trash wherever they are. They simply don't care at all, unlike the Japanese that respect their surroundings. Here in the US I think guests have a mission to see how much they can dirty or destroy a place, whether it's Disney or not. It seems that if something isn't nailed r cememnted in the ground it's theirs for the taking.

See, I am inclined to agree here-- people have gotten to be PIGS most everywhere, not just WDW.......I am not sure why this has occurred...relaxing of most rules / dress codes/ etc / who knows...but anywhere you go is not as clean as it was 15-20 years ago....now cutting back of maintenance staff only exascerbates the problem

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I go there every summer. Maybe the CM's are different in the summer but I always see them smile. They are always willing to help and I've only heard one CM complain about there job. Maybe I'm extremely lucky or maybe you are just extremely unlucky.

-Michael
    I would say it's thr former (naturally), but you have given me some info that might help explain things. You say you visit only once a year and during the summer. The summer is when WDW has the most College Program CMs on property and they usually are pretty terrific because they are kids and they aren't doing it for the money. ... A big difference than some poor guy/gal working full-time for $16,000 a year and trying to raise a family.

I agree with you ti2gr, but I can remember a time when the absolute second you missed the trash can there was a CM right there to pick it up or sweep it away. When I was younger my sis and I would purposely drop trash at the same time to see whose would get picked up faster. (we were kids don't knock us to much, beleive me our mom did) My dad was a smoker, the minute his cigarette butt hit the floor, it was swept away. It my childs minds eye, I would swear they followed us around waiting for us to drop trash.
    This is the kind of stuff TDL and 1974 are talking about--I don't get to the world as much as they do (only once or twice a year), but I am horrified at the lack of attention to detail there once was (cleanliness, originality, cast member attitude, and sad that I have had to watch it decline over the years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12