Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: WDW Dining Plan Question

I totally understand the dining plan and know I'm using it when I go in December with 3 pals (3 of us are 18 and one is 19). But my question is, when do you book the reservations to restaurants? Would I do it a month early or more? And what's the number? I'm in California lol.

• Former CM

The number is on WDW's site. Just look at the dining options and you'll find it. ALso you can book seating 180 days in advance. I suggest making them early for some places.

• Looking for the Mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by erick13
    The number is on WDW's site. Just look at the dining options and you'll find it. ALso you can book seating 180 days in advance. I suggest making them early for some places.
    180 days when you can- But we made several reservations in the last 7 days before the trip, and did not get bumped a single time- and 16 people is a BIG group.

Part of the Magic of Disney was that no matter WHAT we asked- they NEVER EVER told us no. ever.

Mark

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by markbee
    Part of the Magic of Disney was that no matter WHAT we asked- they NEVER EVER told us no. ever.
    Hmmm... I'll remember that the next time I need a stripper party!

Good advice guys, my wife and I are going in July and after doing some quick calculations on our own we decided to do the meal plan. I have special eating restrictions and the plan for my wife and I will save us a ton. (I eat many times, she doesn't) Plus we found that many of the places we would like to eat are covered under the plan. We are planning on eating at Epcot most nights and all of the places we want to go are on the list. It is also interesting that we can use two of the dinner meals to go to the Luau one night. I can't wait for July!!!!

• Seven Seas Buffoon

The MYW + Dining can save you some money provided you do not dine at a "signature" Disney restaurant frequently. The Epcot dining options lend themselves to this plan very well. All table service restaurants are considered 1 'point' and the signature spots are in the Epcot resorts (Yactsman, Flying Fish, etc.)

Check my cost comparison at the Advanced Disney Math 101 forum for a line item breakdown. Purchasing one annual pass and the Disney Dining Experience Card (open only to passholders/FL residents) may prove to be the better deal.

Have Fun!
    Pat

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPat
    Epcot dining options lend themselves to this plan very well. All table service restaurants are considered 1 'point' and the signature spots are in the Epcot resorts (Yactsman, Flying Fish, etc.)
    Exception: Coral Reef.

• Seven Seas Buffoon

The coral reef is 1 point as per the below link. I was shocked as well to find out. Chefs Du France was also 2 at one time, but all Epcot establishments are now 1 point with the plan. See:
    http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/me.../MYWDining.pdf

The AP + DDE will still save you a ton of money, though.

• Vehicle rotating backward

The AP will save you a lot of money but it would seem to do only if you're willing to spend an equally large amount of money on a room. I'm one of those people that can't picture myself staying at a deluxe resort ever. I just don't use that much hotel room on vacation as I traditionally do it, and it's not like home where the hotels ARE the attraction, the theme parks are. If I had a group of people and we were all pitching in, then I would try a deluxe and it would make sense for the person buying the room to buy themselves an AP as well so we each had less to chip in.

I looked online and I see that the Coral Reef restaurant has changed to 1 credit from 2 after all, Deb's site is wrong about it. I believe it's a fair deal in exchange for Cindy's Table going to 2 credits, since seating there is limited and Coral Reef really isn't that much bigger of a deal than the hotel mid-range restaurants like the Kona Cafe.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

so it says that children ages 3-9 must order from the children's menu. do we still buy the dining plan for him or do we pay seperately for the children's menu? is it an either/or situation? if so, which is the better (read: cheaper) option?

sorry so many questions!! i'm kind of an old pro at DL, but everything at WDW is foreign to me!
    <o>

• Former CM

Everyone in the room must have the same options. Your kid will have to have the dining plan if you do. Like I sia din an earlier post when I caculated the price for a 10 night trip my kid would cost $375 (or so) including his theme park ticket and dining plan.

• Seven Seas Buffoon

Here's a big bonus with the kids on the dining plan and one you really should take advantage of:

Pay for the kids on a separate check. You can then use their dinner credits for anyone in the party (and yes, all people listed on the reservation need to be on the same plan.)

Doing this gives you 2 options to mix on any given day:
    1) Use the kids dinner credits for adults at a sit down for lunch at a 1 point spot (i.e. Epcot, etc.) Points are tied to the reservation, not the guest.
    2) Use the kids points to splurge at dinner at a signature restaurant like Narccoossees, The Yachtsman, etc. or for a dinner show.

In both cases above, simply pay for the kids (10-12 bucks a pop at a signature dinner/ less for lunch) and use their credits for whatever the adults want. My kids usually only want the chicken fingers or Mickey Mac anyway - Treat yourself to the lobster. Note that you need to make arraingements for a separate check upon seating. The CM's are happy to oblige in my experience.

***The DDE + AP will usually save you more anyway, but you need to do a bunch of footwork to make that happen. Stick with the DDP and have fun.
    Pat
    Last edited by JerseyPat; 03-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.

• Seven Seas Buffoon

I was under the impression that the dining plan was only available to those booking packages and stying on property but I could be wrong.
    -Dining plans are only open to those staying on property. Prepaid meal plans were eliminated a couple of years ago for those off-property/not on a package, but are rumored to be making a comeback later this year. We'll see.
    One Other....
    Mickey Mania: The AP will save you a lot of money but it would seem to do only if you're willing to spend an equally large amount of money on a room.
    This is not the case, Mickey Mania. If you would like a breakdown for any given resort, I'd be happy to run the numbers for you. Also, remember the DDE card is only open to AP holders/FL residents and you can save some serious cash with that as well.
    Last edited by JerseyPat; 03-01-2006 at 10:00 PM.

• Looking for the Mouse!

1. I do not think the rooms are that expensive compared to outside world---for what you get. We stayed cheap- POP Century, but it included transportation to everywhere, an on site food court and several pools etc., but the cost and hassle of staying off property, (not to mention the $9 parking fee each day) and going back and forth, PLUS- Mickey does your wake up calls- It was worth it. Oh- and there's also the extra magic hours where only registered guests get to ride! Well worth the few bucks more for the room.

2. I also heard from a family from florida, that the dining option is not available to FL residents. Is that true?

Mark Bee
    Host- Blades Of Blue
    http://www.bladesofblue.com

I think the combination of the room and meal plan more than make up for the cost issue. I stayed off site a few years ago at a economy hotel and had to rent a car and pay for my meals. This year with staying at the Port Orleans - French Quarter and the meal plan and using Magical Express we are going to save a decent amount of money and stay in a nicer hotel. Not to mention the benifit of the extra hours and not having to worry about driving after a tiring but enjoyable day at the parks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast