Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Half Baked Mountain

ORDDU: So, what does a coven of witches do when they want to escape the Land of Prydain for a day? Why, fly off to a Disney theme park, of course!!

ORGOCH: Taday we went flyin' off ta Animal Cracker Kingdom--all 3 of us!

ORWEN: Unfortunately, we saw something along the way that kind of saddened us.

ORDDU: What we saw was the back side of Expedition Everest--and let us tell YOU, ducklings, as breathtakingly beautiful as that mountain is, it's quite a let down when you see it from certain angles--which reveal that it's only half there!

ORGOCH: Sure 'nuff!! Why, any witch with half a broom can plainly see they went 'n built the thing on the cheap by not buildin' a whole mountain!

ORWEN: Even from the parking lot, guests can see the show building--which completely destroys the illusion of the whole thing. Now, why did they do that?

ORGOCH: 'Cause they's CHEAP--that's what they is!!

ORDDU: A cast member told us that there have been a number of inquiries about this very thing. He went on to say that Expedition Everest was rushed into being and that this is why we only have half a mountain.

ORWEN: At least the Matterhorn at Disneyland is a complete mountain. Let's hope that Expedition Everest is finally completed--or at least that they do something to camoflage the unsightly show building that shouldn't be showing at all!

ORDDU: Otherwise, Expedition Everest is quite a nice addition to Animal Kingdom. We just wish those in charge had considered that a whole mountain is more attractive to the eye than a half-baked one.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Half Baked Mountain

Isn't there like 50 threads already about this very same topic? 8:P

From what I read they are waiting for the trees to grow in and then they'll finally get around to painting the show building. Eh, who knows.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Minion

ORDDU: Really, duckling? Fifty threads that cover this same topic? Well, then, it's good to know my sisters and I are in such good company. With that many others who saw the same thing, surely something will finally be done about it.

ORWEN: What I wanna' know is how soon I can take a bite out of you? I just LOVE burnt toast--especially on a cold winter day in Morva!!!

• They wanna know, HO!

W. of Morva, I understand your problem, but couldn't help but automatically go into my college mind set and think that somehow you guys were talking about the movie Half Baked/getting hight.

Sorry, I just laughted at the title a bit......
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Witches, I would expect/hope some kind of greenery and other tricks (like the Indy building at DL) will be done at some point.

Right now, I'm just thrilled that Disney can deliver a true E-Ticket to WDW again!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Although I haven't been able to personally experience seeing half a mountain through anything except pictures, I am kind of okay with it because I don't think it's visible or apparent from within the park. If it is, bad show, if not, slightly below average show. The Matterhorn is a full mountain, I feel, because the thing is visible from every part of the park, so it has to be that way.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Witches, that Matterhorn didn't look anything like a mountain inside for quite a few years. Everest looks pretty genuine by comparison!

I don't know about this issue. From the bus, it's pretty hard to see, I don't know about the parking lot since I never had a car there. I don't think it's that terrible. Of course, like Jim Hill or whoever it was on his site that discussed this very same topic, I find seeing just a tiny peek of the actual facility to be fascinating.

The most certainly did NOT build this mountain on the cheap.

They DO plan to finish the backside of the mountain. Not as the front is finshed, ofcourse, but they will paint it to look like the front.

The real reason the mountain wasn't finished was because of Joe Rohde's good sense. God bless that man, I thank him every day for him deciding to not finish the backside of the Mountain.

Why? Because, of budget cuts. All attractions have them - there's really no way around it. Joe, however, really loved Expedition Everest, and didn't want the show to go to pieces due to budget cuts, so rather than cut anything from the attraction he decidednot to finish the backside of the mountain. That way the attraction remained exactly as it was originally planned to be.

Ofcourse, Joe doesn't like that the backside isn't finished, and, as I already said, plans to have it painted to match the rest of the mountain, with snow and rock painted on it. Thank the lord this attraction was on the edge of the park, because if it wasn't, wither the attraction would have suffered or people would be able to walk around the mountain and see even closer that the backside is incomplete, whereas when painted it ill not be noticeable from the parking lot, which is very far away from the mountain itself.

So really, people have nothing to worry about.

Yensidtlaw1969
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Inappropriate

Yeah, the backside really stands out. From the parking lot. (This is going off of when I was there last may.) But once inside the park I totally forgot about it. I just stared at the massively beautiful mountain (surrounded by scaffolding) in front of me. Yeah, there's no problem at all once you're in the park. God bless that creepy Joe Rohde.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Exactly... I just came back a few weeks ago from WDW (got to ride during their Cast previews and AP/DVC previews) and the mountain looked great from inside the Park. Though I did see the show building from the parking lot, I knew that wasn't the way it's going to be so it didn't bother me much.

Now if I could see the show building if I was standing in front of the entrance or something, then I'd be a little miffed.

That is one damn fine looking mountain. Damn good attraction too if you ask me.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Disney Memory Maker

How could you talk about Everest and being cheap in the same sentence. Besides the fact that Everest is extremely detailed & expensive (plus the fact that most attractions aren't completed in the back), the attraction has not even officially opened. Just relax, when the budget lets them finish the back of the mountain (or at least hide it), they will.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969
    The most certainly did NOT build this mountain on the cheap.

They DO plan to finish the backside of the mountain. Not as the front is finshed, ofcourse, but they will paint it to look like the front.

The real reason the mountain wasn't finished was because of Joe Rohde's good sense. God bless that man, I thank him every day for him deciding to not finish the backside of the Mountain.

Why? Because, of budget cuts. All attractions have them - there's really no way around it. Joe, however, really loved Expedition Everest, and didn't want the show to go to pieces due to budget cuts, so rather than cut anything from the attraction he decidednot to finish the backside of the mountain. That way the attraction remained exactly as it was originally planned to be.

Ofcourse, Joe doesn't like that the backside isn't finished, and, as I already said, plans to have it painted to match the rest of the mountain, with snow and rock painted on it. Thank the lord this attraction was on the edge of the park, because if it wasn't, wither the attraction would have suffered or people would be able to walk around the mountain and see even closer that the backside is incomplete, whereas when painted it ill not be noticeable from the parking lot, which is very far away from the mountain itself.

So really, people have nothing to worry about.

Yensidtlaw1969
    Wonder where you heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Wonder where you heard that.
    Oh please, I knew that WAY before that sleaze Jim Hill came along and said it. One of my sources told me atleast a month and a half ago.

Besides, didn't he say it was go away green or look away gray they were painting it? I thought that was interesting when I read it, because it's wrong.

Have a nice day!

Yensid "I know my word is truth" tlaw1969
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Banned User

Nooo, not Jim Hill. I meant me. lol I came out with that a little less than a year ago that the back wouldn't be finished to save money. lol Jim Hill has taken stuff I've said and turned it into a story... ummm... ok... lol

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Oy. When I see the back of the mountain...I just think about ow close that means I am getting to the front of the mountain...I get all fidigity and excited and I can't wait to bolt off the bus to go ride it...I think if we all just took that mentality and let the trees grow in it'll be all good.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast