Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Married and happy again!!

Is this a strange thing to have done?

As I have posted before I am a widower. My wife and I loved going to the parks and one of her favorite rides was The Haunted Mansion. So when she passed away Febuary 28th of 2003 she was cremated. Well the kids and I where planning our first WDW trip post her passing (we were lucky to have one last trip with her in October of 2002). So I toyed with what I wanted to do I had promised her we would move down there with in 5 (by 2007) years and felt horrible since I felt I had let her down by not getting there to live before she passed away. So I at first thought I would take her ashes and spread them down there but decied I may later regret it. So I decied to take something personal of hers down there and let it somewhere special. So while we where down there I tried to figure a good place to leave it in memory of her. Well there was just so many things we loved to do there it was hard. Well I finally came to me where to do it The Haunted Mansion! I picked a spot (which I will keep to myself and my kids) and got it there (the personal item is small so it may go unnoticed for along time). The funny thing is I honestly felt at peace (something I had been having a hard time doing since her passing especially at such a young age 31). We had been married going on 13 years at that point when she passed (we were married right out of high school) and I miss her very much but somehow I just felt much better. Any way does this seem strange to anyone? Tell me what you think .
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: Is this a strange thing to have done?

Wow. I'm sorry for your and your childrens loss.

I don't think it's a strange thing at all. To me, you're honoring her memory in one of the places you two adored visiting. Since I don't know you or your wife, I think she would be proud that you did what you did even happy to know that something of hers is at the Haunted Mansion.

• Sock Puppet

It didn't harm the ride, and it made you feel better. Whatever you can do to help with grief, I think is understandable.

• Banned User

Awwwwwwww I am so sorry for your loss, How utterly sad . Please accept my condolences . what ever you do to feel better do it. it did not harm others and you need to heal. Best wishes to you and your children

• Married and happy again!!

You know I never had even talked with my own family or friends about this somehow it just seem right to talk about it for the first time right here on this chat board. Thank you all for understanding. I wouldn't have done anything to harm the ride not only who that just be wrong but that would have upset her too.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Thank you for not taking her ashes and spreading it around in the Mansion. Others have done that in the past and frankly, on the cameras it looks like you are spreading something else that might be dangerous and it causes much pain in a lot of people's rear ends to have to clean it up because it's a hazard.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Thank you for not taking her ashes and spreading it around in the Mansion. Others have done that in the past and frankly, on the cameras it looks like you are spreading something else that might be dangerous and it causes much pain in a lot of people's rear ends to have to clean it up because it's a hazard.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    I echo all of the above. It's awful to lose a partner at such a very young age.

And I see nothing wrong with what you did provided it didn't interfere with anything.

I have heard stories like Burnt Toast's about people spreading ashes in the Mansion. That is something totally different and should never be allowed. There are plenty of beautful natural areas at WDW where one could do that, if one had the inkling, that wouldn't harm anyone and wouldn't have a loved one's remains wind up in an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.

• Banned User

There are no cameras on the Haunted Mansion attraction in Walt Disney World. No clue what it would have looked like, but there aren't any cameras. lol

• Banned User

Our neighbor passed away a few years back and he was a huge steeler's fan. So his nephew brought a small amount of his ashes to pitsburg and sprinkled them over the enzone in heinz field when it first opened. now if you do that you get into lots of trouble, but back then it was ok and he knew someone in management as well. anyway he was at home there. If WDW was one of your wife's favorite places, I think it's a wonderful way to remember her and a nice quiet spot out of the way where noone will notice, who knows how long it will take someone else to find it? but also you can go to that spot every time you are down here and remember her. something private for just you and your kids.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

No that wasn't strange by any means. It brought peace, didn't harm anything...and more than likely your marker for her isn't the only one. There is no place like the Magic Kingdom to memorialize someone. You also know you'll always be able to go back there and visit her too.
    Oh man, I had Club 33's "Feed the Birds" playing reading this thread. Such a fitting bit of music.

• Vehicle rotating backward

There's a story in one of the Mouse Tales books about someone dumping ashes of their child in the Mansion at DLR, with similar results. That's probably where all this started from.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    There's a story in one of the Mouse Tales books about someone dumping ashes of their child in the Mansion at DLR, with similar results. That's probably where all this started from.
    Which one, do you know? I have the second one but doesn't mention that. I'm going to have to order the first one since it's never in a bookstore when I go into one. Dang Borders! Do they sell it at the one in Downtown Disney next door to AMC?

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I have heard stories like Burnt Toast's about people spreading ashes in the Mansion. That is something totally different and should never be allowed. There are plenty of beautful natural areas at WDW where one could do that, if one had the inkling, that wouldn't harm anyone and wouldn't have a loved one's remains wind up in an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.
    That too... but I would think that someone creamated ashes would be some sort of health or bio hazard.

Plus spreading it around would probably look like you're spreading something else around (like anthrax) to a Cast Member that spots you on the camera or another Guest. Not good.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Which one, do you know? I have the second one but doesn't mention that.
    Maybe I heard it somewhere else, then, proably rumor, since I just looked through the first book and saw no reference to it. It's Index actually lists the Haunted Mansion, while the second book's doesn't for some reason.

• Give Peace a Chance

That too... but I would think that someone creamated ashes would be some sort of health or bio hazard.

Plus spreading it around would probably look like you're spreading something else around (like anthrax) to a Cast Member that spots you on the camera or another Guest. Not good.
    Beg pardon, but ashes are sterile. They've gone through fire at about 1600 degrees. Anthrax is light tan or brown in color ashes are not.

Jessicalover, my deepest sympathy for you and your families loss. I think what did was a loving testimony to the memory of your wife and mother of your children.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast