Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Making WDW an "Adult" vacation

My Wife and I are going to WDW some time in May or June and it is her first time. We are going for a week and I am looking for suggestions on how to break up the trip into not just going to the parks every day. I have a few ideas but would like the suggestions of some "experts" that have gone more frequently than I have. We are most likely staying in one of three places; Boardwalk, Carribean Beach or Coranado Springs. We haven't booked yet so some input of these resorts would be nice too. Thanks all for your help.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Making WDW an "Adult" vacation

There are other things to do besides parks?

Seriously, while I personally enjoy the parks all the time, there are many other things to do. You can try your day at a water park, simply enjoying the sun, or my favorite, the lazy rivers. Even just spending a day at the pool might be a nice change of pace. You could also browse the shops of Downtown Disney, ending the night at Pleasure Island, which will pick up steam as the sun sets. Even the Boardwalk might be a nice way to get away from everything...and renting a boat from the marina at the hotel you're staying at might be fun as well...

I'm sure other people can offer other ideas, but these are some that I can think of off the top of my head. Hope you enjoy your trip, no matter what you decide to do!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• World Traveler

You might want to think about doing one of the "behind the scenes" tours as well.

• Huh?

See Hoop-De-Doo Musical Revue, too... that's a must-see.
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Cirque Du Soleil: La Nouba at DTD is a great way to spend an evening.
    Pleasure Island (I like the Blues Club personally)
    POFQ also has a Jazz Club if you want to go dancing, I've never been but I heard its really great.
    Polynesian Luau

As far as hotels, if you are looking for romantic, I would recommend POFQ, but its my favorite resort so I'm a little biased.

Please see my post on this here

• Former CM

I second the Luau. Also I prefer Coronado Springs of Carribean Beach. If you are drinkers play Drink Around the World at EPCOT.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Do a Monorail Lounge Tour
    Take the monorail to each hotel on the line
    Have appetizers and cocktails at one
    Dinner and drinks at another
    Dessert at the last

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Dessert at the last
    I've never heard of this, but this is truly a great idea!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDelli
    My Wife and I are going to WDW some time in May or June and it is her first time. We are going for a week and I am looking for suggestions on how to break up the trip into not just going to the parks every day. I have a few ideas but would like the suggestions of some "experts" that have gone more frequently than I have. We are most likely staying in one of three places; Boardwalk, Carribean Beach or Coranado Springs. We haven't booked yet so some input of these resorts would be nice too. Thanks all for your help.
    On our honeymoon back in 1998, the wife and I took the Illuminations cruise. I believe it left the Boardwalk area, we cruised all around for an hour or so and then watched the Illuminations show at EPCOT. Truly a magical trip. It was the first thing we did on that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Dessert at the last

Great idea! I could go for a Monorail Yellow at the Contemporary lounge now.

Blog Entries

I second staying at POFQ, I love it there. It is quiet and romantic. I have gone to WDW twice with only adults. Here are my ideas:

-The parks are still fun, even if you are an adult. It just means getting to skip some of the kiddy rides, not waiting for autographs, etc.

-Lay out by the pool. Everyone is at the parks during the day!

-Pleasure Island. We had a blast dancing and hanging at the Adventurer's Club. Only annoying thing was the 'regulars' who kept speaking with the actor's or being obnoxious trying to get their attention.

-Eat it up! You can go to places later since you don't have tired out kids to put to bed.

-We shopped at the Outlets both times. It was much better the first time.

Have fun!

• Banned User

they used to have trail rides at the campground and you can rent bikes and ride around the resort or follow the hiking trail around the resort. all of those resorts have things like that. spend a day just relaxing and doing next to nothing. and of course there are always the water parks and other things mentioned. oh and you can golf as well. I remember one time hubby wanted to go to WDW and not go to any of the parks. he found lots to do while i was at the park with our daughter. have a great time!!!!

My husband and I just did the Segway tour "Around the World at Epcot" and we both really liked it. Also I like Ohana @ the Polynesian.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Boardwalk seems pricey to me if you're just paying regular rate. For not that much more, you could get the GF, or a Contemporary tower room which is going to be a lot nicer with the refurb. I like the look of Boardwalk, I just don't think I'd try to stay there at those prices. That said, if you do have some kind of steal of a rate there, GO FOR IT!

Other sites offer discount prices on the Swan/Boardwalk as well, which share a boat route to MGM and Epcot with Boardwalk as well as the path to the International Gateway at Epcot. Although sometimes buses are shared between Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, and Beach Club, which sounds kind of busy. Still, if you're not booking everything together as a package, that's an option.

Lastly, you may want to consider Wilderness Lodge just because it seems to be many a favorite amongst experienced people.

I just wouldn't try to have a romantic vacation in a Moderate hotel. Although I enjoyed POFQ, the walking, the outdoors, and the scolding at children from the family next door coming through the walls just didn't cinch it as a great anniversary resort.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I just wouldn't try to have a romantic vacation in a Moderate hotel. Although I enjoyed POFQ, the walking, the outdoors, and the scolding at children from the family next door coming through the walls just didn't cinch it as a great anniversary resort.
    Sorry, but I disagree with this. I think the atmosphere at Coronado Springs is exceptional, far more special than just about any hotel in the outside world. And your experience may have been different from mine, but I've never noticed more family noise at a moderate than at a premium.

As to suggestions, take a Disney transportation tour of the property. Take a bus to Downtown Disney, then take a boat to Port Orleans, hop on a bus to one either Epcot or MK, and then hop on a monorail or boat to one of the area hotels. It's fun mixing it up and taking time to visit the hotels, some of which are truly destinations in their own right.

And I really like the Monorail Lounge tour suggestion! An alternate to that would be a Drinking Around the World Showcase tour, stopping in Norway, Germany, Italy and France for a glass of wine, then maybe ending up in the Rose & Crown Pub for a fine time of drinking in an unusual atmosphere. Top it off by watching IllumiNations from in front of the Canada pavilion, and then walk counter-clockwise AGAINST THE CROWD around the lagoon. In just a few minutes the crowd that's rushing for the exits will be behind you, and you'll have a totally romantic World Showcase all to yourselves!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast