Value Resorts Service

Hello. I'm planning a trip to Walt Disney World soon. I would like to know if there is good service at the value resorts. I would especially like to know about the shuttles. I was also wondering if there service can be compared to that of the Shades of Green Hotel.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Value Resorts Service

Shades of Green does not share Disney Transportation buses, but instead provide their own buses. The point of Shades of Green, of course, is that the price can be right for military personnel. However, their transport can't take you as close as Disney hotel buses do. For instance, at the MK, the Shades of Green bus picks up and departs at the TTC, while the Disney buses go up to the main gate.

In terms of actual service, the big difference is food. SoG has a variety of dining options including a formal sit-down place. Value resorts have a food court (fast food) and the only room service option is pizza. Disney employees (at least the ones who interact with guests on a regular basis) are trained to be really cheerful. I have no idea what the service is like at SoG, except that the people who work there are technically government employees, which carries a stereotype with me.

If you go Disney value, please do yourself a favor and book Pop Century instead of any of the All-Star resorts. Shuttle transport is so much more convenient at Pop that alone makes the decision a no-brainer.

I don't have experience at value resorts, but i've stayed at SoG twice in the last 2 years, and since the renovations, I believe it's the best for the money. The rooms come with a refriderator, and i've heard that they are the largest standard rooms on property. That being said, the food isn't Disney quality, in my opinion. the only time i would eat at the resort would be breakfast, they have a nice buffet.
    As far as transportation, they have a golf cart that will take you to the entrance of the resort, which then you can walk to the polynesian and catch the monorail. It's a bit more walking, but if you can do it, it beats waiting for the bus. All in all, i believe that it is a heck of a deal for the price of the rooms.

The service at the Value Resorts can be hit or miss.

Technically, Disney charges less at value resorts because there are less frills that people don't want to use. This means: no room service, no full service restaurant, limited recreation (simple pools, no slides, no rentals), smaller rooms, simple ammenities and a spread out location with no close access to any parks.

*However*, some cast members interpret the lower rate as an excuse to give you poor service. Obviously, that shouldn't be the case, but it does happen.

Of course, this can sometimes happen at the Grand Floridian as well, so it really just depends.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

As far as the bus service, and Disney hotel is more convienient than the Shades of Green, Disney treats this one like those "official" DtD hotels...bus stops are not as good, not as close.
    However I have found the Pop's bus service at closing time was the worst of any Disney Hotel I've stayed at. But overall it was a much nicer stay than staying at the All-Stars (of which the Sports is the worst!).

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    If you go Disney value, please do yourself a favor and book Pop Century instead of any of the All-Star resorts. Shuttle transport is so much more convenient at Pop that alone makes the decision a no-brainer.
    I really think they did a better job all around with the Pop. I've stayed in the All Stars a couple of times, and always kinda felt that I was Motel 6-ing it. But my first stay at the Pop a couple months ago felt much more like a moderate. The landscaping was really nice, and the food court was excellent. Maybe Disney went a bit too cheap with the All Stars, but they made up for it with the Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I really think they did a better job all around with the Pop. I've stayed in the All Stars a couple of times, and always kinda felt that I was Motel 6-ing it. But my first stay at the Pop a couple months ago felt much more like a moderate. The landscaping was really nice, and the food court was excellent. Maybe Disney went a bit too cheap with the All Stars, but they made up for it with the Pop!
    That's good to hear because I chose the Pop for my trip in May.

Since my experiences at the All Stars I've been really down on all of the values, and have sometimes postponed a vacation until I could afford a moderate. This stay at the Pop changed that for me - I no longer need to save up quite so much to enjoy a quick trip to the World.

• Looking for the Mouse!

We just returned home (at 1 am this morning) from Disney. We stayed at Pop Century and it was GREAT. Every aspect of the stay was perfect, and the issues we had were immediatley resolved: for example-
    We needed more towels. DONE. One of the room keys of our party (we had 16 people all together) didn't work- and a replacement was brought up.

Crib for the babay- no problem. They even went so far as to fold his blanket when they did our room. Every day.

The last day- we had soem table service meals left from our dining plan (GET THE DINING PLAN) and they let us use them towrads counter service and snacks for the trip.

They never say no. The whole trip was super- I am going to post a recap seperately.

The last day of our trip- the Hippy Dippy pool heater went out. We had to suffer through the day with only two heated pools to choose from.

Great job Disney Gang!

Mark Bee

Quote Originally Posted by markbee
    The last day- we had soem table service meals left from our dining plan (GET THE DINING PLAN) and they let us use them towrads counter service and snacks for the trip.
    This is actually a little publicized part of the package. You might lose a bit of money using a dinner coupon for lunch, but it's better than letting them go totally to waste!

• Looking for the Mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    This is actually a little publicized part of the package. You might lose a bit of money using a dinner coupon for lunch, but it's better than letting them go totally to waste!
    Right- and they were happy to help- Like I said before- they never said no to any request. Ever. It was AWESOME.

• Self Congratulative

I agree with Dan, the All-Stars felt like a Motel 6. The pop, while to the untrained eye can look like an All-Star, it's much MUCH better.

When staying at the All-Star Music, and seeing the 7-Eleven-Bathroom-style soap dispenser for shampoo and conditoner. On my stay, they accidentally filled the shampoo with the body wash. After our hair dried out to flakes, I felt like I got the ripstick for good.

Please, avoid the All-Stars for the simple fact of having shampoo bottles with real shampoo in them!!!!

^^That's not good news!

I've had similarly good experiences at Pop and was happy we stayed there in January. I had given up staying at any value resorts, the last couple stays at any of the All Stars had been not good at all. The shuttle service was hit and miss, one time we waited over an hour at the AK for a bus to show up and of course by the time it showed there was a huge line of people to get on. Also the rooms were dirty and those dispensers for the shampoo/soap were so un-Disney like!! But I would go back to Pop anytime.
    I love Dumbo!!

Talking Re: Value Resorts Service

Thanks to all who responded.