Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Restaurant Idea for Animal Kingdom

One of the great things about dining at WDW are the different food adventures one can have. Also, I have been thinking about how to give more exposure to the animals for DAK.

Taking the queue form the Tiki room, what would it be like to have a restaurant with LIVE birds in cages around the room. Colorful, vocal birds in cages or maybe large sections in which many birds are in an area that you look through, sort of a Coral Reef but with birds. Attractive foliage could be placed in the cave-like openings to see and hear the birds. Water falls could be added to give more atmosphere.

The restaurant could take a south pacific feeling and cuisine.

What do you think?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Re: Restaurant Idea for Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    What do you think?
    That idea was already done at DLP, then changed slightly. You see.. At DLP's adventureland, they had the Explorer's Club restaurant which was basically a Tiki room restaurant, where birds used to come to life every so often... but as the problems with attendance mounted, this restaurant was renamed Colonel's Hatti and is now selling pizza and italian dishes. I believe the birds are there still but not sure if they perform anymore. Also, it appears this restaurant only opens during crowded times.

As for DAK... the rumor I have heard is that they are trying to revive a similar version to the now history EPCOT's Equatorial Africa Pavillion restaurant, in which guests were to have a faux view of animals coming into a drinking pond in the african savannah. Maybe this is what will be coming to DAK ...only with real views into the savannah area of the park. But who knows??

• The one, the only...

I did not know about a DLP version. I was thinking primarily of the exposure to animals that DAK offers. I don't think that just because DLP has it that DAK cannot have a similar version. A restaurant is different from a ride because cloning a theme is not the same as a story. After all, two restaurants with a Mexican theme can be very different from other. I imagine that could be true with Hawaiian or South Pacific themed places.

I know that they are considering a new table service dining restaurant. I just hope that they use a rich theme don't "just get by" with their theming elements. I believe that guests of WDW are expecting something quite a bit more than a restaurant they have at home.

Also plastic or illusionary animals don't quite exploit the Animal park theme there. I would love a restaurant to give great views of the savannah. That would be spectacular. If they cannot do that, then bring the animals to the guests. Of course, only tame ones would work.

I believe too that Walt believed in color and beauty. I would want the restaurant to be colorful and esthetically pleasing. Bright colors instead of brown on brown with beige.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Banned User

I don't think that just because DLP has it that DAK cannot have a similar version.
    Oh no! I didn't mean it that way. Nor did I mean to shoot down your idea... I think a birds themed restaurant like you described would be a nice addition to DAK as well.. I was just mentioning the situation at DLP, and offering an idea of rumors I have heard about a savannah view restaurant at DAK. I am not in any way related to Imagineering or anything so my knowledge is based on internet rumors.

If they cannot do that, then bring the animals to the guests. Of course, only tame ones would work.
    They did that with the Discovery Boats at DAK and didn't work... but not sure that bringing animals into a restaurant would be a great idea... I can see those critters helping themselves to my very expensive plate of fillet mignon...

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Yup... I'd love to have bird feathers, animal dander/hair, and all sorts of other stuff floating around in the air of an enclosed indoor space getting all in my food and then eating it. I guess it would add some exotic taste element that you can't find in any other "normal" restaurant.

Also, birds/animals carry diseases... I'd love to have a side of bird flu with my fries please! 8:)

Bringing animals around while you are eating... are you kidding? Ew!!! We'd have to soak our hands in Purell before we eat... heck, imagine having to do that five or six times during your meal because they keep bringing new animals around? Ick. Hell, people don't even wash their hands after they go to the bathroom, you think they would wash their hands after petting some animal? 8:O

Let's not even think about if some animal that was brought to your table decided that it is a perfect time to take a dump or pee all over the place... yuck!!! 8:D

Anyways, I would think that having lots of live birds or animals in an enclosed food service area would be some sort of health hazard, yah. I doubt a restaurant like that would ever fly with any food safety and sanitation board in any non-backwater state. 8;)

Now audio-animatronic animals, good idea but I believe that's called Rainforest Cafe, which I'm also not a huge fan of because it's always so loud in there. Decent food... but hard to have a conversation with someone even sitting next to you.

I think a restaurant overlooking the savannah would be better at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge then the Park itself. Much easier to keep away from regular Guest view as well.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 02-25-2006 at 06:19 PM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    I think a restaurant overlooking the savannah would be better at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge then the Park itself. Much easier to keep away from regular Guest view as well.
    I am not sure what you mean it is easier to keep away from regular Guest view?

Also, the problem with the restaurant at the Lodge is that during the day, most guests of the resort are away. Those at the DAK park would have to leave the park to go to the lodge to enjoy it. That would be disruptive to a park experience.

I don't see why an overlook restaurant at DAK would be bad. One can even enclose it with glass so it can be air conditioned, but still allow views of the savannah.

I understand your health concerns, but I think that they are easily eliminated. At a rest home I visited, they have miniature birds in behind screened cages. There you have sick people exposed to them and have no problems. But if you really are concerned, one can just use plexiglas to prevent any air circulation with the restaurant. Those birds are quite entertaining to watch. I was just thinking on a larger scale. I know that some might be concerned about being around birds, but there are plenty of people who have birds in cages in their home who are not sick.

As to bird flu, since at this point no human has gotten bird flu, I am more concerned about dining with PEOPLE who have the flu!

You raise valid concerns, but I still think that they are just concerns and not something that totally shoot down the idea.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

As to bird flu, since at this point no human has gotten bird flu, I am more concerned about dining with PEOPLE who have the flu! :eek:
    Um... unless I'm mistaken, there are plenty of cases in Southeast Asia of people who have contracted bird flu. Not that I really care what happens down there anyways. 8:)

Also, the reason why I don't think it will work in DAK is that it would be an eyesore to those on the Safari attraction. It's harder to conceal that as opposed to at the AKL where savannahs are only viewed from one side, not all around.

Also, a rest home is a much different beast then a full-blown restaurant is. It doesn't account the fact that it would still be a health hazard to have animals in a indoor food service location. Unless you want animals behind glass (which would make it more like a zoo), that would totally go against the idea for Animal Kingdom.

I guess you have a good idea, a little blue-sky and a little less thought concentration on the logistics. Anyways, it's not anything that other places haven't done already though, so your idea isn't something that is exactly new. Sea World used to have a dinner buffet with their "Cirque"-like show one summer that had handlers bring out penguins and sea lions and stuff out in the middle of the outdoor dining area... however, due to health concerns for the animals and those eating, there was no touching of the animals of any kind and you had to keep your distance. That might work at DAK, but I'm sure that keeping it outdoors would have to be pretty important.

Anyways, DAK does need some more food facilities and definately needs some sort of full-service restaurant of some sort... that is not up for contention. Ha ha.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 02-25-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Hmmm ... maybe Disney can use bird flu as a new excuse for why they removed all the exotic birds from the GF, Poly and CBR resorts as well as Epcot ... PR could even spin this that Disney was ahead of the curve by doing this 5-6 years ago too (VERY SARCASTIC SMILEY).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Yup... I'd love to have bird feathers, animal dander/hair, and all sorts of other stuff floating around in the air of an enclosed indoor space getting all in my food and then eating it. I guess it would add some exotic taste element that you can't find in any other "normal" restaurant.
    I feel the same way about those Character Meal Buffets at the parks as well... I mean, do we need that silly old bear shedding over our overpriced meals??? ..And don't get me started when that duck and mouse come around.... Bubonic plague or bird flu with your appetizers??

Um... unless I'm mistaken, there are plenty of cases in Southeast Asia of people who have contracted bird flu. Not that I really care what happens down there anyways. 8
    Oh you *SHOULD* care.... Bird flu cases might be happening in Southeast Asia and Europe but bird flu can arrive at your neighborhood as expeditiously as a 12 hour transpacific flight... or a 9hr trans atlantic flight. No topic to joke about.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    maybe Disney can use bird flu as a new excuse for why they removed all the exotic birds from the GF, Poly and CBR resorts as well as Epcot ...
    ...And here I was thinking the reason for that was actually that they needed to replaced the dead birds that have lost (or run over with the safari trucks) at DAK over the last few years since the park opened.... My bad.

• Banned User

It's against state law to have live animals in a restaurant. (Though there is a large group trying to get pet restaurants approved, there is a large opposition)

I think if you were able to find a location in Animal Kingdom where you can see the animals through glass and have a restaurant, it would work very well. I love the idea. Just, no animals inside please. Maybe animatronic ones. lol. But not real.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Not being a nature person I have to say anything that is living (or organic) in the restaurant better be on my plate, not coming around to visit me.

Personally I like the idea of an Asian restaurant. You have a Japanese and Chinese restaurant in WS...but there is more Asian food than that. They already have a few African restaurants in AKL. How many more does WDW need?
    I dunno. I still like the idea of fish your own dinner for AK. Or maybe an Edible Safari where you go out, view some animals, then come back and try them.

• Banned User

Well... the latest I have been able to find out on this points towards an Asian style restaurant in the Asia area of DAK, to be operated by the same people who operate the Rainforest Cafe. Summer 07 is what I've been told... Plus possible Jurassic restaurant coming to DTD as well...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Well... the latest I have been able to find out on this points towards an Asian style restaurant in the Asia area of DAK, to be operated by the same people who operate the Rainforest Cafe. Summer 07 is what I've been told... Plus possible Jurassic restaurant coming to DTD as well...
    Ah, a Jurassic Restaurant. We spared no expense. lol

• The one, the only...

If they have a Jurassic restaurant, who is going to be eating whom?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

If they have a Jurassic restaurant, who is going to be eating whom?
    Imagine the clever menu items...

I'll have the Jurassic Pork please....

It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast