Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Self Congratulative

WDW Vacation Planning Video VS. DVC

So, in early January I went online and ordered both the new WDW Vacation Planning Package and at the same time ordered the Disney Vacation Club package. The differences are quite amazing.

First, the DVC video showed up 3 days after I ordered it. The WDW video showed up last week. Over a month in transit? The Video is very professional, low key, informative(to a point), and just a good promo.

DVC called me a week and a half after I received my DVC video to ask me if I got everything and if I had questions, requests, etc. All that I said was that I would like some pricing info. The next day, a FedEx overnight package with my full color, hardback, glossy page and embossed cover DVC coffee table book showed up. It is A M A Z I N G! I have never been blown away with the quality of Disney advertisements like this before. They're either really focused on quality service here, or really smell a sucker and are hungry for my moolah.

Well forward a month or so later, I got my WDW package. Over watching it for the first 35 seconds, the WDW video is obnoxious, loud, and has annoying people taking you around the parks. The quality was very good, but it just was annoying to the point of me just turning it off. The "Thrill Seeker" guy just made me want never go to WDW again... not really.

Does this obnoxious stuff actually work for Disney? It just seems that every year, the DVD's get more and more like this. Next year they'll have someone on fire walking around the parks or Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men or something. I much more love the way the DVC vids do their junkety junk.

Does anyone actually like the new WDW video?

BTW. I'm a DVC member now and I love it!

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Re: WDW Vacation Planning Video VS. DVC

I agree, I find the new WDW video to be quite obnoxious. I much preferred the previous edition that centered around the "Magical Gatherings" promotion.

I also recently requested and received a DVC package but apparently did not get the same "white glove" treatment that you did. But I agree that it was well done.

It's obviously aimed at a different demographic so I expect it to be different in tone and style. But they really need to go back to the drawing board with the WDW video.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    But they really need to go back to the drawing board with the WDW video.
    Yeah, and punch the guy who came up with the "duuuude" thrill seeker guy concept.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Are these videos the same as last year's? It sounds like it. The WDW vid you're talking about is lightyears beyond last year's DL vid, which was so poorly produced that I'm suprised it actually made it to mass manufacturing. I was laughing at how bad it was. At one point some Powerpoint slide appears from the production company that says "DISNEY_VIDEO_001" or something. Mind-blowingly bad.

Mine also took quite a while to arrive.

• Self Congratulative

Well it depends on what you consider "last years" I have one from last year which came in a purple box with the "magical gatherings" slogan, and then I have the new one which has "50 years of magic celebration" on the cover and references to the 50th anniversary.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

The "purple box" magical gatherings dvd is the one that I thought was pretty good.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

The last WDW video that really impressed me was the one for the Millenium Celebration in 2000. The soundtrack was excellent, the choice of presentation was very well thought out, and I think it was a very good advertisement for the resort.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    Well it depends on what you consider "last years" I have one from last year which came in a purple box with the "magical gatherings" slogan, and then I have the new one which has "50 years of magic celebration" on the cover and references to the 50th anniversary.
    Ah, so you have the same one that I do then.

Yes, all the actors a bit obnoxiously perky, but that's the image Disney likes to send across. We're so happy that we could just burst into mountain of flavorful jelly beans!

I noticed all the things you did, Taggart.

I chalk it up to Disney putting money into its cash-cow (DVC) to snag new victims. They don't feel they need to do anything to get people to come, so they put out a loud, amateurish, obnoxious vacation planner...

To answer your question, I could have dealt with less dramatics from the actors. I just received mine yesterday, and it too, took a month to get to me.

I don't want to eat up with the information, because the fact is that it's a propoganda video. It did plant something in my mind that I want to go from a value resort to a moderate. I'm not excited about "food court" food at the value. But is it worth it? I watched the DLR video in the extras, and they made DLR look really, really good. So...

• Drunk On Disney

Yeah, and punch the guy who came up with the "duuuude" thrill seeker guy concept.
    LOL!

Of course, that was the one I had the most in common with. Duuuuude!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    BTW. I'm a DVC member now and I love it!
    I actually do like the current video, within limits. I'm not fond of the duuuuddde, but then he's not targeted at me. If I had a 17 year old son I'd ask him. I think the lady that concentrated on kid stuff did a nice job. Dave the leisure guy was kind of a throwaway. The actor that played him does a lot of corporate stuff and is a very funny guy, but they didn't really give him that much to do. I'm totally in love with Erin, though - cute, perky, smart, energetic, and not cloyingly over the top.

My biggest problem with the newer videos is with the pacing. They're being driven by the MTV style of no shot longer than 2/3 of a second, and it just doesn't hold my attention like the older videos that took more time on each park and each attraction.

But I would really like to compare this video to the DVC one you mentioned. Just look at the target audience for that one - not the kiddies, not the duudde teens, but the adults with disposable income who might be interested in a long time, multi-thousand dollar committment to the company. OF COURSE it's going to be more elegant, more thought provoking, more in tune to what we adults would like to see. And you're right on both counts, Taggart - they are both focused on extreme quality and on your overflowing wallet!

^^Danny, why did I know you were going to like the planning video?

We've got to find you a woman ... or a gay cowboy ... or maybe a puppy.
    (INSERT KNOWING SMILEY)

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Nah, I don't need any of that stuff. All I need is my WDW planning video. And this remote control. And this thermos. And this chair . . .

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    \My biggest problem with the newer videos is with the pacing. They're being driven by the MTV style of no shot longer than 2/3 of a second, and it just doesn't hold my attention like the older videos that took more time on each park and each attraction.
    Actually, that also bothered me! Disney is doing this in everything they produce now. As an ex-film employee, I'm not fond of the direction that most "modern" film editing is going. You never see shots longer than 1/16th of a second anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast