Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

are little green men invading Tommorrowland?

ok read a rumor, ( or am I starting one??) that the little green men are invading tommorrowland with their flying saucers. I seem to remember an attraction just like this that was at DL I think way back in the 60's. the saucers rode on cusions of airand they were like bumper cars. Had technology advanced enough to update something like that? If it has I think it would be a cool concept to have. and am sure it will be popular with the kids and even some teens I know. not so sure about safety issues but that is for the suits to figure out.

• Huh?

Re: are little green men invading Tommorrowland?

With Lasseter in... I very much doubt it. The rumor is to move it into Caroussel of Progress, but I doubt Lasseter will let the bumper cars come in, even if he does let the caroussel close.

After all, he is very much into the whole "no more mediocre attractions" thing.
    -Tim

• Self Congratulative

Tony Baxter will save us all.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I think one Buzz/Toy Story themed ride in Tomorrowland is enough. Otherwise it's just going to become "Buzz and Stitch" land. Perhaps that is all it is now.

I'm not necessarily opposed to Tomorrowland becoming a sci-fi fantasyland, but as a trade-off I would want them to put a little more thought into EPCOT Future World in terms of what future attractions they put into it.

But I also agree that it doesn't seem likely that Lasseter would approve of this long-rumored attraction.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Banned User

i didn't realise that lasseter was named president of WDW. as far as I know he isn't part of the company until the deal is finished and even then he is running the studio and is a consultant for wdi. Matt is president of DL resort and Al weis is still head down here till Iger names a successor and frankly I hope it's soon. I think that Mr. L is going to have his hands full running pixar and WDFA. he won't have a whole lot of time to run the parks as well.

• Huh?

He's not head of WDW. But this new "ride" would be an Imagineering project. And he's basically heading that -- nothing goes without his approval. So, I doubt he would approve that since it falls under "mediocrity." Even if WDW would approve it, they can't do much unless they go around Imagineering and get an outside company to do absolutely everything.
    -Tim

• Vehicle rotating backward

People seem to forget how a park attraction comes to be. It's not that the WDW President says "Hey, we want a ____ here." Imagineering comes up with an idea and shops it around to the different resorts, including OLC in Japan, as well as Disney corporate. Maybe a park has enough money in the budget to take that idea and build it. Maybe none of them do. Tokyo DisneySea is the result of a bunch of different projects sold to Disneyland over the years, from the Long Beach park to a Disneyland expansion to a roller coaster inside a volcano. Over time, OLC snapped them up.

When the bosses make a demand, it's usually for a whole new park. MGM started, if you remember, when Imagineering presented an idea for a movie pavillion in Future World, and Eisner told them to expand that into a whole park.

THis attraction has been plotted for years as a replacement for CoP, but I see no way of it happening now. John Lasseter and the Pixar crew aren't looking to diminish their characters with crappy attractions like Disney has with its (Stitch anyone? Figment? Pooh?) own stable of creations.

• Banned User

the story of mgm had little to do with WDI in the beginning and more with inside info that eisner and wells had based on their old jobs. so WDI proposed the subs at DL? funny thing I don't think that the saucer idea is mediocre at all and that teens as well as kids would love it and it fits right into the tommorrowland theme.

• Banned User

Lasseter has the power to greenlight or cancel any project in any Disney Owned Theme Park Worldwide. Same with everything that Disney animates.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Lasseter has the power to greenlight or cancel any project in any Disney Owned Theme Park Worldwide. Same with everything that Disney animates.

Wow... He is almost the most powerfull person on earth...
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

Actually from what ive seen of the new Flying Saucers..it looks to be a pretty fun ride (a cool D-Ticket I would say). Not sure how little green men factor into it. Also it probably wont replace COP (even though it was originally supposed to) It looks more likely now that it will replace Timekeeper. As for COP, I hear its going to get torn down along with some other stuff inTL to make way for an AMAZING new e-ticket. The COP family will be either moved to Epcot or back to Disneyland.

• Banned User

the little green men part was because I was under the impression that it was going next to buz. I have always thought the saucers would be a great addition to tommorrowland and I am sure that the technology has improved from the 1960's version I remember. there are two ways to go with tommorrowland. the first is to make it just that futuristic world with futuristic rides ( ie mission space) the problem with that is obvious, the future changes too quickly and the attractions become obselete. the other way of course is to envision an area where attractions are more how the future was envisioned. ( ie the house of tommorrow) that way attractions don't have to be changed out too often. that being said, I would love to see a virtual reality attraction somewhere in tommorrowland. I remember they tested one in epcot awhile back and I think they have them at DTD. but I think it would be cool and not take up too much room either.

• Vehicle rotating backward

The 1960s one was really lousy. They broke down very often, they didn't really move all that well. Mouse Tales says that if ran occured they could create a small tornado which would then blow through Tomorrowland. If you want an idea of what it was like, imagine riding on a giant air hockey puck, but with even less control. When it worked.

DLR had a virtual reality thing going sponsored by GM at Tomorrowland 98's Innoventions. It was pretty much the only thing interesting upstairs and it's departure was pretty much the death knell for any reason to go there. The line was way too long as you sat around watching a bunch of kids in chairs with goggles over their eyes slowly leaning left and right.

• Banned User

they had VR attraction at innoventions in florida as well. It was based on alladin's flying carpets and you travelled through agrabah..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast