Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

New Tomorrowland 1994

Over the weekend I decided to go around and see how much of New Tomorrowland is left in WDW...I was very dissapointed.

You still have the Astro Orbitor, and the TTA with it's NT narration. Space is sorta the same, minus all the FedEx added things.
    Alien Encounter? Gone.
    Metro-Retro's Dreamflight? Gone (not too upset here though)
    Timekeeper? Gone.
    The Avenue of Planets is still there, but it has no tie to anything anymore. Pretty much the posters on AoP, the TTA, Rockettower Plaza and CoP's last scene are all that are left. I was quite suprised, because it dawned on me at once the New Tomorrowland was gone, even the background music too.
    Anyone else miss this incarnation? Anyone glad it's gone? Any memories of it?

• Banned User

Re: New Tomorrowland 1994

Timekeeper was da bomb. I miss that. And coming soon, the new, improved, Star Wars themed Tomorrowland, where we turn the entire land into the Death Star.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Uhm, I like the Tomorrowland as it is.

From looking at my downloads of the background loops, it looks like they didn't switch loops for the new Tomorrowland and just kept using the old one. The new current one I think fits really well. The segment that's "Miracles to Molocules" makes me raise my eyebrow a bit because Inner Space was only a DL ride, but I was pleased to find it anyway.

Like other TLs, it's not even trying to be a serious vision of the future anymore, but as an old-school Tomorrowland fan I have little to complain about. I can't go back in time to see what it was like before my first and only visit, but after being so critical of what I saw at DL in 99 I was pleasantly suprised.

By the way, there's a blank, empty space between Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress, I think, I'm going from memory. It seems like there's some shuttered doorway there with an empty name plaque adjacent to it. What was this?

• Former Epcot CM

I felt that the entire New Tomorrowland premise, with the storyline, the integration and the attractions was a prime piece of Disney storytelling at its best. After all, that is what Disney parks, and what Imagineers do - tell stories. It was something that the Imagineers could be proud of, and really did stand out as the best Tomorrowland of them all - I preferred it even to Discoveryland at DLP, which I fear is going the same route as this Tomorrowland. It all starts with Buzz, then the themeing goes upside down.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    By the way, there's a blank, empty space between Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress, I think, I'm going from memory. It seems like there's some shuttered doorway there with an empty name plaque adjacent to it. What was this?
    I believe what you are referring to is the old Skyway building that connected in Tomorrowland. Not sure though.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

That Was URSA's Major Minor Mart...a shop underneath the old skyway station.
    I agree about the story telling. The Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center, Metrolpolis Science Center, Rockettower Plaza, Tomorrowland Metro-Retro Historical Society, it all blended together so nicely.

I always thought that was rather corny, myself. You can't use fiction to convince people that theming is something other than theming. Like if the countries in World Showcase actually tried to pretend that they were the actual countries instead of representative pavillions.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I always thought that was rather corny, myself. You can't use fiction to convince people that theming is something other than theming. Like if the countries in World Showcase actually tried to pretend that they were the actual countries instead of representative pavillions.
    Don't be such a party pooper, it's all in good fun.

I for one thought the premis behind New Tomorrowland was really great. "The Future that Never Was is Finally Here"
    Everything was colorful, bright, optimistic, and overall it was just really, really fun. It really is sad the way they let it fall apart.

I first visited WDW in Spring '95, I was about 9, I loved everything about Tomorrowland, I was huge into Disney parks even then, and I soaked up the story, the atmosphere, everything. I remember the Metropolis Science Center most of all. Now, when I'm much older and wiser, I love continuity in theming. Tomorrowland doesn't have that anymore. The Convention Center is now a Prisoner Teleportation Center (how Un-Disney is that!), the Science Center is a place to visit Buzz Lightyear (yea, ugh, cough, puke!). The funny thing is, the little sign by the spinning globe still mentions everything where they used to be.

The nice thing is, with a little TLC, it could be nice again. Maybe Stitch Encounter will be a hit in HK and they can retro-fit WDW's theaters to hold it, give it a new theme besides a prison.

On another note, I really didn't like the Skyway, so I was glad to see that gone. I saw how it fit into Tomorrowland, but I thought it really took something away from Fantasyland, plus the MN State Fair has had one of those things since the sixties, so I failed to see it as futuristic anymore.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

The Future That Never Was was my all time favorite section in theme park history. So much imagination in that one spot. It just didn't get any better. You felt like you were in a totally different section apart from the Magic Kingdom and you were in Tomorrowland - a city. From the Convention Center to the Metro-Retro Society, from Rocketower Plaza to the Metropolis Science Center, everything was perfect. Great original attractions were there and everything wasn't all about cashing in on the latest Disney animated hit. You had characters like Chairman Clench, S.I.R., Skippy, Spinlock, Dr. Femus, Timekeeper, Nine-Eye that were futuristic and retro at the same time. These characters were the heart of the land and they are missed dearly. Even when Buzz replaced Take Flight, the land still had the same feel. Now all that is left is the newer CoP version that might not last long either. Tomorrowland used to be my favorite place to be at Disney World. I could spend all day there and let my imaginations run wild. Now I'll stop by Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear a time or two and take a spin on the TTA and that's about the length of time I spend there for an entire trip. Tomorrowland right now feels like a rundown city that has seen better days and we can only hope that it will shine again one day.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom was an unrivaled "Promised Land". Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress were a dynamic duo. Today, DL's Tomorrowland is rising from the ashes, while that of MK's seems to be becoming the land of the unforgiven. Down parascope.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

I have heard ... things ... I'd expect some major, Incredibles news soon ... and don't be surprised if there are some Monsters under the bed too! And I hear there may be some major demolition work on a certain Mountain to make way for a new road ...

T-Land will have some new life in the not-so-distant future. Right now, it's kinda sad.

• Banned User

Yes, WDW1974 is correct. You'd be amazed at what is planned. The next big rehab will cost just as much as the transformation into New Tomorrowland did.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    major demolition work on a certain Mountain
    WHAT?!

Oh, that would be just all kinds of wrong...

The whole "Tomorrowland is an actual city and/or a place that stays 'alive' after the theme park is closed" routine was just a little bit too cheesy for me to swallow. It reminds me of the days when the employees at our local Paris were called "Citizens of Paris" and spoke in fake French accents. OK, they're not quite the same level of corny theming, but the point remains: General theming is cute, but don't go overboard. If it was supposed to be a city, nobody knows why it was only a mile long?

The 'town' feeling of Main Street USA or that seaside town in DisneySea with the Mayor and other characters, works better than that because the theming does look like an actual town rather than a collection of rides glued together by a common theme of science, which is what TL always has been.

Future World could get by on being a faux community, particularly with all the renevations it's looking at down it's pipeline, but it's still trying to live up to that World's Fair vision.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I have heard ... things ... I'd expect some major, Incredibles news soon ... and don't be surprised if there are some Monsters under the bed too! And I hear there may be some major demolition work on a certain Mountain to make way for a new road ...

T-Land will have some new life in the not-so-distant future. Right now, it's kinda sad.

ohhh I like changes!! I just hope they don't hurt SM to badly. I'm sure they won't remove it but then again they did take out Alien Encounter And Incredibles huh? Very nice although I don't know how they will fit that into the Tomorrowland atmosphere. We shall see...
    Better start taking pictures of my favorite rides now I guess.

• Banned User

Can they take out Mickey's Toontown Fair with the old Tomorrowland as well....? Please???

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast