Christmas Decorations time frame

Did a search, but did not find specific info.

What day do they start putting up Christmas decorations? Or at what point is it safe to go and see all the decorations up? from what I read it appears the 2nd week in Dec might be a safe bet? But if we can go sooner then that, we would prefer it.

We are going this fall and deciding if we should go in Oct, Nov or Dec. We have been there in Oct before and liked the lack of crowds and the mild temps, now we are toying with maybe going and seeing it all decked out for Christmas. What is the weather like in Dec?

• Give Peace a Chance

Re: Christmas Decorations time frame

Decorations actually start going up in Oct. but you have to know where to look to see them since they are incorporated into the Halloween theme and are well blended. The night of Halloween, the Halloween decorations go down and the Christmas decorations are brought into focus and added to. By the end of the first week of Nov. the Christmas are usually completely up throughout DLR. They remain up until the end of the first week of January.

edited to say: oops! Sorry did not realize this question was pertaining to WDW! I can only speak to DLR.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• I was deleted.

Yes, October.. but most are up by November. You could try early December. It's usually cooler, less busy, and decorated a lot.

• Banned User

and don't forget to visit the resort hotels. they deck them out for the holidays as well. some of the decorations are really cool.

I think 'officially' everything is up by the day after Thanksgiving. Though last year the MK tree wasn't in it's 'normal' place until more than a week later, due to the taping of the Christmas parade.
    MVMCP starts shortly after Turkey day, I don't think the story tellers in Epcot are before Thanksgiving, and not sure about the official start of the Osborne lights, but they're on for good after Thanksgiving, too. And the Yuletide Magic tour starts the Monday after Thanksgiving.

We (2 sisters and a bro-in-law and me) went last year starting the day after Thanksgiving, for a week, and it was a great time to go. If you wait until Sunday, though, you don't have to split your reservations to get Value season for the whole stay.

Edited to add: Weather WILL be cooler than in October. I was in shorts a couple of days, long pants for most of the vacation - but my sister from Oregon was in shorts for quite a few more days then I was (I've become a weather-wimp since moving to the South!)

• Banned User

In my 33 years visiting WDW (some of those as a CM mind you...), I never saw Xmas decorations going up in October... Most of the time, it seemed the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November would be the time to see them pop up. However... This past year, some decor started going up as early as the last week of Oct, and everything was pretty much decorated by the week before Thanksgivings Day. Rumor had it they started earlier last year to capitalize on the Happiest Celebration promotion. So maybe this year...it may or may not happen again...

But to answer the question posted above... It would be safe to visit WDW during the 3rd week in November and see all of the Xmas decor up and running.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    However... This past year, some decor started going up as early as the last week of Oct, and everything was pretty much decorated by the week before Thanksgivings Day. Rumor had it they started earlier last year to capitalize on the Happiest Celebration promotion. So maybe this year...it may or may not happen again...
    That's what I was basing my answer on. As for SOL, they started it right after Super Soap Weekend. They wanted it to go longer and I think they'll plan on doing it again.

Thanks everyone. We will look into going the week after thanksgiving/first week Dec.

Another question if we go at that time. Are the park hours really short during those times? Probably not a big deal as we are probably going to be staying 7-10 days (onsite) but if the parks close at 8, that gives us a lot of down time at night.

Epcot will likely close at 9:30 (Holiday Illuminations starts 1/2 hour later than 'regular'), The Studios will likely close about 8 ish, AK will probably close at 5. MK will close EITHER at 6 or 8 on weekdays, a little later on weekends. The 6:00 closing is when Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is scheduled.

A couple of ways 'around' the early closings: Epcot; Evening Extra Magic Hours; Pleasure Island; and schedule 'dinner' at a resort hotel later in the evening. This is also good so you don't 'waste' park time eating - but the parks do have some good places to eat, particularly Epcot!