• Future CEO

Exclamation The Unknown Future of Epcot's Spacehip Earth

For a little while now there has been talk of changing the ride Spaceship Earth that is housed inside of Epcot's architectural gem. As of a few months ago, as reported by www.d-troops.com,

"Disney was considering completely changing the Spaceship Earth attraction. Sources say that an expansive model was created - with laser-cut palm trees - that had tubes (ride track) exiting the sphere and circling around the Global Neighborhood post show building. An additional source has claimed that this plan was designed to be a more "thrilling" attraction that would cause Spaceship Earth to close this October for the change. However, we heard that top WDW executives have shot down the idea, as it was neither family friendly nor reasonable budget-wise. So what is coming to Spaceship Earth?"

This short article insinuates that there is still a possibility that the attraction may be drastically changed. With the coming of Epcot's 25th Anniversary, it seems likely that the ride might be changed so as to lure more guests to the park.

Questions:

Why would Disney want to change one of its most visited and best loved attractions?

What possibilities exist for this space?

How is the structure of the building to be affected in the case of an attraction replacement?

• Original Mice-Chatter

I have never enjoyed something so potentionally boring so much- I love this attraction, and so does my 5 year old. We love the scenes, we love the star field and earth, we love the lights and the music when you are coming "down"- if they do something new, they better to it justice.

• The Concierge

The very best thing I adore about spaceship earth is that after walking around for hours and sweating like a $3 whore in church (pardon the visual) in the Florida sun, Spaceship Earth is a great ride to just relax and take it all in!

And of course, since the EPCOT landmark is Spaceship Earth, any dramatic changes can and will spark a major reaction if its structually changed. I'm sure once AT&T dropped their sponsorship and stripped their name off of it, they realized something had to be done.

Sometimes we need some Spaceship Earth,
    Ric
    Director, Concierge Services
    HOLLYWOOD TOWER HOTEL
    established 1939

and featuring
    TIP TOP CLUB

on the top floor

• Minion

Just a reminder - this project has likely been CANCELLED...a smaller scale attempt to update the ride may result.

• The Concierge

I know, I gotcha. ;-)
    However, they need to do something.

Cheers,
    Last edited by RichardRiga; 03-29-2005 at 05:28 PM.
    Ric
    Director, Concierge Services
    HOLLYWOOD TOWER HOTEL
    established 1939

and featuring
    TIP TOP CLUB

on the top floor

Hmm, let's see. Which character are they going to ditch the Jeremy Irons narration for?

• Fastpass Hater

Quote Originally Posted by BurningStroller
    Hmm, let's see. Which character are they going to ditch the Jeremy Irons narration for?
    Time for Stitch to invade!

• VBdad55
    This ride is a gem -- the closest thing to a classic that exists in EPCOT -- and the suits that rule think making it a thrill ride is a great idea. I have an idea...build a better ending and keep the ride updated....and leave the rest of it alone. Kids actually learn something ( maybe some parents to) by riding thru this journey.....stop the dumbing down of EPCOT and ensure that it's original concept to have fun while educating moves on....not 2 minutes of wheeeeeeee....look how fast we can go maw !

• Santa Barbara, CA

The real design....

The ride will rethemed for the 50th to recount the Michael Eisner Story, in 43 thrilling AA scenes. An epic attraction (sponsored by Pixar), that takes guests from his meteroic rise to the last grotesque "King Lear on acid" bittersweet final scene, depicting his overdue demise.

Leaked WDI storyboards reveal that there will be a scene at the top of the bal where each vehicle enters a scene called "the judgement" an infinite vortex of flying cash. Each guest will be able to grab some of the loot as the echoes of court rulings against the company fill the air.

Another highlight will be from Horizons. It will truly be a thrill to do the "Michael Eisner, choose your own ending" sequence. Ending filmclips include "I'm here to stay with an M16", "Plastic surgery come back as Walt" and the crowd pleaser "Take Paul Pressler's job".

All to the tune "I just can't wait to be King"..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• VBdad55
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    The ride will rethemed for the 50th to recount the Michael Eisner Story, in 43 thrilling AA scenes. An epic attraction (sponsored by Pixar), that takes guests from his meteroic rise to the last grotesque "King Lear on acid" bittersweet final scene, depicting his overdue demise.

Leaked WDI storyboards reveal that there will be a scene at the top of the bal where each vehicle enters a scene called "the judgement" an infinite vortex of flying cash. Each guest will be able to grab some of the loot as the echoes of court rulings against the company fill the air.

Another highlight will be from Horizons. It will truly be a thrill to do the "Michael Eisner, choose your own ending" sequence. Ending filmclips include "I'm here to stay with an M16", "Plastic surgery come back as Walt" and the crowd pleaser "Take Paul Pressler's job".

All to the tune "I just can't wait to be King"..

Now this is some funny stuff.....

and maybe bring back the communication center at the end of the Spaceship Earth ride (AND NO SHOPS pleasssssssssssssssssse!)After all AT&T is not the only communications provider in the world. Maybe Verizon could step in there, Can you hear us now?
    I reeally really loved that ride in the 80's, now it looks abandoned. Even though it still rocks

• Minion

I'd rather have Mikey gedtting killed by a giant monster or have the fab five beat up on him...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki