Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Carousel Theater Host

Someone wants changes at the Carousel of Progress, not just Marty

The Carousel of Progress is in the top of my family's "Must See List" at the Magic Kingdom.

In the final scene of the show, over on the right hand side, up on the corkboard, there is a post-it note with the quote, "Marty called - He wants changes!"

Now, obvously, this post-it note is a nod to the show's co-writer and Imagineer Marty Sklar. Sad to say, however I have been learning recently that some large changes to the CoP are under consideration. WDI is seriously considering creating a new attraction in the Carousel building at Magic Kingdom involving the Little Green Men from Toy Story offering guests "Flying Saucer Lessions". This would be kind of a retread of an old Disneyland attraction called the "Flying Saucers", which closed in 1966. As far as I know, this has been in the works for the Carousel building for a few years now, and WDW is looking at 2008 as the year to open the new attraction.

The official word from Disney is that there is no plans to close the Carousel of Progress. If, however WDW does close the Carousel of Progress, that will be one less reason for me to visit.

Any thoughts?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasondlnd
    The Carousel of Progress is in the top of my family's "Must See List" at the Magic Kingdom.

In the final scene of the show, over on the right hand side, up on the corkboard, there is a post-it note with the quote, "Marty called - He wants changes!"

Now, obvously, this post-it note is a nod to the show's co-writer and Imagineer Marty Sklar. Sad to say, however I have been learning recently that some large changes to the CoP are under consideration. WDI is seriously considering creating a new attraction in the Carousel building at Magic Kingdom involving the Little Green Men from Toy Story offering guests "Flying Saucer Lessions". This would be kind of a retread of an old Disneyland attraction called the "Flying Saucers", which closed in 1966. As far as I know, this has been in the works for the Carousel building for a few years now, and WDW is looking at 2008 as the year to open the new attraction.

The official word from Disney is that there is no plans to close the Carousel of Progress. If, however WDW does close the Carousel of Progress, that will be one less reason for me to visit.

Any thoughts?

I love the CoP. However, it just doesn't play well for a modern audience. Disney is looking at replacments because the attraction doesn't pack 'em in any more. Attractions come and go. It is just sad to see the classic ones slip away like this.

It would be great if Disney would start documenting attractions before they close them and then sell a special DVD with the attraction, music, show information, and perhaps a documentrary on the history of the attraction and the people who built it. It would really help take the sting out of losing an old friend.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Whats funny.. is that evr since it went back to full year operation... the crowds have been comming.... (since the crapy stage moved(thought cameback temp...)... the crowds came back more..)

• Minion

At www.d-troops.com, we're asking guests to write in to save the attraction. Addresses and information is available all over the website.

Thanks!

The show is as timeless as ever. Disney doesn't want AA-filled shows anymore. They have to be maintained ... they're costly. Period. Look at how many AAs were in Epcot a decade ago vs. now. Literally, hundreds have been removed. One of Disney's showcase technologies, one thing that has set it apart is becoming an endangered species.

CoP definitely needs to be updated. It was in bad shape when I was on it last a few months ago. But Disney doesn't maintain like it once did.

The reason the so-called crowds didn't pack into CoP is two-fold ... the fact it needs updating, and the fact WDW marginalizes any attraction management wants to get rid of (look at Epcot's WoL now as an example). They let the attractions fall into disrepair, operate them on irregular schedules and take them off guidemaps (or give them scant mention). Then the PR hacks come out and say 'We're replacing [fill in the blank] because guests wanted some new magic.''

I do advise anyone and everyone who wants the attraction to remain and enchant, entertain and educate audiences for years to come, to write a letter or drop by City Hall and leave a note. E-mails aren't the way to go ... unless you're planning on emailing a Disney exec directly.

• VBdad55
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The show is as timeless as ever. Disney doesn't want AA-filled shows anymore. They have to be maintained ... they're costly. Period. Look at how many AAs were in Epcot a decade ago vs. now. Literally, hundreds have been removed. One of Disney's showcase technologies, one thing that has set it apart is becoming an endangered species.

CoP definitely needs to be updated. It was in bad shape when I was on it last a few months ago. But Disney doesn't maintain like it once did.

The reason the so-called crowds didn't pack into CoP is two-fold ... the fact it needs updating, and the fact WDW marginalizes any attraction management wants to get rid of (look at Epcot's WoL now as an example). They let the attractions fall into disrepair, operate them on irregular schedules and take them off guidemaps (or give them scant mention). Then the PR hacks come out and say 'We're replacing [fill in the blank] because guests wanted some new magic.''

I do advise anyone and everyone who wants the attraction to remain and enchant, entertain and educate audiences for years to come, to write a letter or drop by City Hall and leave a note. E-mails aren't the way to go ... unless you're planning on emailing a Disney exec directly.

Same old plan....let the area/attraction fall into disrepair ( WoL / Timekeeper / JII 1 etc.) then claim people don't attend any more. Heck CoP wasn;t even showing on many attractions lists for MK not long ago.....this ride is a classic, and updating it does need, but replacement..No !

• Minion

Carousel of Progress is the closest thing at WDW to a sacred place. Or at least in the aspect that Walt wanted it to be THE permanent attraction and have it in the parks for the rest of their continued existance. Besides, they don't want to disturb the mystic secret underneath there...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Anything with AAs is on the endangered list at WDW with CoP and HoP at the top of the list. American Adventure is safe, just because well ... kind of obvious. Spaceship Earth would already be a thrill ride if WDI could figure out how to safely put one in the geosphere at a reasonable cost (happily that looks like it won't happen). ... Disney is dying to rip out the Great Movie Ride at the Studios as well.

• Carousel Theater Host

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    It would be great if Disney would start documenting attractions before they close them and then sell a special DVD with the attraction, music, show information, and perhaps a documentrary on the history of the attraction and the people who built it. It would really help take the sting out of losing an old friend.
    Although video and audio of old attractions are nice, they don't replace the live, complete experience. I have some unofficial documentaries of the CoP, as well as all of the video and audio I can get my hands on, and well, everyone who watches or listens to the material I have wants to see the show live, regardless if they are a longtime fan or if they have never seen the show before.

For me, videos of Disney attractions remind me of how great the experience is/was, but can not serve as a replacement. To illustrate my point, in 1996, Disneyland made a video of the Main Street Electrical Parade for its "Farewell Season" in California, which included extensive information about the parade. Although the video sold well, it was no replacement for the actual experience of watching the parade, and as a result Disneyland brought back the parade to DCA.

The point being is that something that is presented live provides an emotional and physical connection to those watching, something that can not be obtained by watching a video or listening only to the audio.

• Banned User

I want Flying Saucers! Carousel of Progress is boring and isnt even the original version that Walt Disney created.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    I want Flying Saucers! Carousel of Progress is boring and isnt even the original version that Walt Disney created.
    Go to Disney Quest...

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by General Grizz
    Go to Disney Quest...
    Here, Here!!!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

As Dustysage said, attractions come and go. If they didn't people would stop coming. Sensibilities change. The disturbing thing is that Disney no longer appreciates the AA attractions that made them famous. Roller coasters are fine, but if that's all I'm interested in, I'm not going to go to a Disney park; I can ride all the coasters I want at less expensive parks closer to home. I go for the AA. Now, I'm not a big CoP fan, but unless they're going to replace it with an AA attraction, they shouldn't waste their time. Of course, I'd rather see Timekeeper go first, or if they won't set Alien Encounter back, get rid of Stitch!

• Banned User

Timekeeper go first? Them's fightin' words! Grrr...

• Funnier than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Timekeeper go first? Them's fightin' words! Grrr...
    Come on Bill. I'm not a huge COP fan, but don't tell me you are going to argue that COP should go before Timekeeper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast