Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

Airport Extends Deal to Keep Disney's Magical Express

http://micechat.com/forums/micechat-news-archive/21930-orlando-airport-extends-disneys-airport-deal-wkmg-news-3-15-06-a.html

Comments anyone?

Personally, I think this is great. DME is such a great service & I'm glad the airport didn't fall to the demands of the limo/taxi drivers. Good Job MCO!

Here's a bit more info from the Orlando Sentinel
    The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority voted today to extend Disney's popular Magical Express shuttle service through 2011 - with a few changes.

Starting next year, the passenger fee that Disney pays the airport will increase from 50 cents to 75 cents, with an option to increase it in 2010. The shuttle buses also will move next year from the "A" side of the airport to the "B" side, and Disney will be allowed to put shuttle "greeters" on the airport's second level.

Since the free service began as a test in May, it has transported more than 1.1 million passengers and their luggage between the Disney resort and the airport.
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 03-15-2006 at 08:06 PM.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Re: Airport Extends Deal to Keep Disney's Magical Express

I love Magical Express, even though I don't use it much. It's a great service.

Now, whether it's good for all the local businesses ... that's another matter.

• Having a Grand Day!

If it wasn't for WDW they wouldn't exist anyway. Consumers still have the choice to use their services, but Disney has the right to provide a competitive service.

• On the Highway in the Sky

It is a FANTASTIC service! Even though we usually rent a car on a WDW trip, we use the DME service to the resort and back to the airport (rented the car for the days we wanted it from the Car Care Center rental fleet). Not having to fool around with the luggage at MCO and then just dropping the bags in the lobby (and checking in for the flight!) on the flight home. It's awesome.

As for local business, have they REALLY lost anything? The people who rent cars are still renting cars, the people who took Mears are taking DME - and by the way, has anyone noticed who ACTUALLY operates the DME buses - it's Mears. There are tons of people who do not stay at a WDW resort (why they do not is another question) so they are not getting the DME service.

And finally, as for the big brouhaha a few months ago about DME Reps "soliciting" guests in the airport. Give me a break. If a resort guest arrives in MCO and did not realize about the service (maybe they booked through a travel agent who did not know or had some incentive to not help arrange the service) - what is wrong with informing the guest that this is a service that is covered in the cost of their accomodations?

YIKES!

Glad to hear that this is going to remain.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    If it wasn't for WDW they wouldn't exist anyway. Consumers still have the choice to use their services, but Disney has the right to provide a competitive service.
    At the risk of opening up a can of worms, this is like saying that Walmart has the right to open up competitive services. And when all the little guys are gone, then they jack up their prices.

I understand that DME is a great service for those who use it. But I can't help but feel for all of the small businessmen that have been feeding their families for years, and are now being driven (pun intended) out of business by the big giant Disney.

• Banned User

The way buisness works if offering a good or service at a certain rate... If the other companies offer something similar then they would survive better...

The problem was how disney did get prefered things, but now some of the services seem fair... That and disney will start charging or raise room rates to cover the charge.

• Disney Memory Maker

I think the other rental/limo companies are just going to have to acknowledge that this is competition. If they don't want Disney to put them out of business, they are either going to have to lower prices or think of something they can do that Disney is not doing. And if they can't do that, there business will go way down. Don't mean to be insincere, but let's look at computers. Computers put a heck of a lot of people out of a job. But it also created a heck of a lot of jobs.

And I too am glad that the greeters will be allowed back. It was so nice to see the people with the big Mickey hands on.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

But they will not be allowed to wear the hands...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...dlines-tourism

Orlando International Airport and Walt Disney World officials agreed Wednesday to a plan that will keep Disney's popular Magical Express shuttle and baggage service -- which has attracted national attention -- running through 2011.

An analysis by an airport consultant found that the first-of-its-kind service caused the airport to miss out on $204,000 to $1.1 million last year because the free Disney shuttle impacted rental-car and other transportation revenues.

To even out the financial impact and ease concerns about overcrowding at the airport, the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority voted to approve several key terms for the future:

Disney's per-passenger fee will increase from 50 cents to 75 cents beginning next year. From May through December of 2005, Disney paid the airport more than $500,000 and carried more than 1.1 million passengers. The fee could reach $1.50 in 2010.

Magical Express will relocate from the terminal's A side to the B side, where more bus parking spaces are available. Six spaces will be assigned to Magical Express.

If the service exceeds 2.2 million passengers, Disney will begin a second operation on the opposite end of the terminal's B side.

Disney's uniformed greeters -- minus their original oversized Mickey Mouse gloves -- will be allowed back on the terminal's second level to help passengers find their way. Last year, airport staff confined Disney's greeters to the first level.

Disney cannot establish any other similar shuttle and baggage services at other airports within 100 miles of Orlando International.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Under the new terms, the fee that Disney pays the airport per passenger will increase from 50 cents to 75 cents next year, with an option to increase it again in 2010
    And slowly Disney builds up more and more to start justifying adding a charge to use DME in the future...and then slowly that charge will go up and up while they get more and more people hooked on it and used to it. "The first sample is free".

I'm a fan of the FREE part in the service. Saves me money. Didn't find it quick, effiecient or any of that...I'm not a fan of the overall service. Dissenting opinion here on MC I know, but they are keeping it around? Whatever. The moment it goes from free to any type of charge I'm not using it.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I used the service and I generally like it, but they need to stop making it "free." That's the part that looks anti-competitive. Considering that there's nobody else transporting for "free," it is clearly nothing more than predatory pricing.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

^^ Thank you!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

And why did Disney decide to start offering this service...

To keep guests On Property, and away from other business in the area (Such as Universal, SeaWorld, and shops and restaurants).

Disney wants folks to get off the plane, go straight to Disney, empty their wallets and then head back to the airport to fly back home.

Can Universal set up a Universal Express Bus service from WDW to their parks.. NOPE!!! Since it is private property, Disney controls who can enter.

But Disney is allowed to do it on Public Property, which is being paid for in part by the taxes paid by Universal, SeaWorld, and all the other businesses in the area.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Can Universal set up a Universal Express Bus service from WDW to their parks.. NOPE!!! Since it is private property, Disney controls who can enter.

But Disney is allowed to do it on Public Property, which is being paid for in part by the taxes paid by Universal, SeaWorld, and all the other businesses in the area.
    Now now, you're comparing apples to oranges. That's like saying Universal would allow Disney busses at Universal Orlando. No, it's not the same. There is nothing preventing Universal to offer a free shuttle from OIA to Universal. And Disney pays a lot more tax than anyone in the area. So enough with that.

Now, as far as the whole concept goes, it has a very positive effect to OIA and Orlando as a whole. More busses equals less traffic made up of limos and cabs. I'm sorry, but if they're not in demand, then that's really too bad. The market is changing, and unless you adjust, you're going to be lost in the change. It's the only way progress can happen. And you may not see it right now, but it does benefit the Orlando Economy as a whole. Just give it a little time to see the positive effects.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Darkbeer: Is there some sort of lock-out that keeps Universal/SeaWorld, et al from creating their own system from MCO to their parks? It seems to me that the restrictions are on Disney to not service other airports (which I'm sure isn't a big issue for them.)

It seems to me that if Universal and Sea World wanted to cooperate and make such a system to service their neighborhood, they could. They don't compete with each other as much as Disney competes with the both of them.

• Banned User

Sea World has strong attendance on its own. It's Universal that really needs to compete. lol

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast