• Santa Barbara, CA

Snorin' over the Land

I just read the posted article and wonder why EPCOT does not address this better. Soarin' could have been really fun making us appreciate in a more positive way why rely so much on the land. No one is getting this right now and we are facing our own demise..This article is scary..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...447863,00.html
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

While not necessarily poo-pooing on their warnings, I seem to recall similar predictions made 50 years or so ago that predicted that the cataclysm would arrive in the 1980's.

On the other hand, I could see a pandemic wiping out hundreds of millions in the thrid world

• Minion

Perhaps the Cataclysm is just delayed. I watched a program on NOVA last night (PBS) on tsunamis and they mentioned that the recent quake was forceful enough to have disturbed the earth's rotation by some millioneths of a second and caused a bit of a wobble while shortening the day.

My understanding from years ago in science class was that a major Cataclysm can occur when the earth changes its axis causing severe weather changes and even a relocation of the poles. It can be caused by some tremendous force from within or a gigantic meteor slamming into the planet. Some theorists believe that's what happened in the age of the dinosaurs and makes one wonder what might be buried beneath the ice caps.

• Been there-Doing it again

Maybe it's because Epcot is a theme park that doesn't want to promote areas of science that are still in dispute that say were are all going to die. Not exactly family fun. Science is important but every scientist has a world view that effects the nature of his research and the questions he asks. Global warming is about to kill us or it's junk science. My expert can beat up your expert. Remember when it was decided coffee caused liver cancer? Science came back and said "never mind".

Why should Epcot pick a side? It's where you go on vacation. They can present information without picking an extreme side of an issue.

Im not promoting Epcot utilizing such information or not. But, I dont think there is much of a 'side' to take. That information is accurate .. and its something that we all need to understand. Just looking at the VERY simple fact that we (as humans) are 'regenerating' at a FAR greater rate than we are dying is very simplistic proof that the earth will not be able to sustain our life forever.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

That is why nature invented Plaques.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I just read the posted article and wonder why EPCOT does not address this better. Soarin' could have been really fun making us appreciate in a more positive way why rely so much on the land. No one is getting this right now and we are facing our own demise..This article is scary..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...447863,00.html
    ahh yes

I swear what is with the WDW forum and stomping all over my hopes for the future :P sheesh I'm still young and you must remind me of what kinda material I'm going to be working with. First Jobs now this :P

anywho this reminds me of a story I used to enjoy as a child
    http://www.geekteacher.net/lorax.html

ahh poor Lorax if only you were here today