• Robot Chicken Rules!

Remembering Horizons

Does anybody remember the ride at Epcot called Horizons, obviously in it's place is mission space. I remember when I went down with my family back in 1987 and waiting over 2 hours to go on that ride. I have memory of it, but it is very faint. What I do remember is it had alot of animatronics in it almost like carousel of progress, however it took a peak into what the future was like. Also correct me if I am wrong was'nt there at one point in the ride you got to choose which scene you wanted to go again?
    Like i said I don't remember too much of it, but do maybe you have a better memory of it then I do.
    what do you remember?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Remembering Horizons

Horizons is a topic often covered on various Disney boards...A lot of people, myself included, lament the loss of the AA experience, to be traded for quick thrills. The reason why it was so reminiscnet of the Carrousel of Progress was because it was a sequel of sorts, bridging the gap between the immediate future ending of the COP, and the distant future of Horizons. There even was "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" playing in one of the scenes in Horizons.

As for the ending, it ws the only ride, according to a few sources, that let you choose your own ending, land, sea, space. While the ending I always felt was something of a let down, I still miss the simple charm of the attraction. Horizons, the World of Motion, The original Journey into Imagination, Kitchen Kaberet, were all EPCOT's classic attractions, of which are slowly being replaced by the thrills. While I enjoy the thrills, I see no reason why the two can't coexist peacefully. The only ones we really have left are Spaceship Earth, Energy (to an extent), Living with the Land, and Imagination, (A shell of its former self). But I digress.

Yes, I think I speak for many people when I say I remember Horizons, and I miss it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I loved it, I miss it.
    I discovered it one summer, 1998, we decided to do it because we never did or it was closed whatnot. We were amazed! It ws fun, we loved choosing our own ending, and it was just so "EPCOT". We went on it I think 14 times that week, it never had a line, we enjoyed it, and it was long and cool inside (our first summer we were dying in the heat).
    Looking back on it now it had great music, used many good effects, and it was a true AA E-Ticket, it's problem was it was an EPCOT Future Ride...seen as boring right from the start. Pirates, well everyone likes the thought of Pirates so PoTC gets to be fameous. Anyone can do the "future"...so it was never saved. But EPCOT needed more thrills (and while I love Mission:Space) and all of EPCOT's thrills come at the cost of AA spectacles.

Remember it? I grew up with it! It was great...like World of Motion, and the original Journey into Imagination, it represented the best of Epcot. Audio-Animatrics, great sets, and original music! Wonderful!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I miss it, a lot, and hate the fact that when I go back there this October for the first time since 1996, it wont be there

It was one of the best Disney dark rides ever created IMHO. The thing I enjoyed about it most was that it embodied the optimistic view of the future Walt Disney carried throughout his illustrious years. We are missing that at EPCOT now...Future World isn't much of a Future World if you ask me.

If you look closely in the queue area of Mission Space, the middle of the turning space station has the Horizons logo in the middle of it. That's one of my favorite details placed by the Imagineers at EPCOT.
    -J

Subscribe or listen to The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Real Life Audio Adventures in the Parks

Click for a Short Promo

You Don't Need an IPOD - Anyone Can Listen - Download the MP3 or listen right over the website for FREE!!
    http://www.meanderingmouse.com

OR...Search for "disney" within the ITunes podcast directory and subscribe there!!

The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Streams of Consciousness from the Happiest Place on Earth!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

If I might nitpick one minor detail here, it wasn't Land, Sea and Space, but Desert, Sea and Space that you chose at the end. Since it was in these three enviornments that the ride looked into making habitable living spaces for man's future.

The two things I loved the most were the beginning and the absolute very last show scene:

The beginning had various recreations of man's vision of tommorow from the perspective of different decades. Jules Verne's moon voyage was reanacted in a couple of places. Remember the space capsule in the Man in the Moon's eye just like in the old silent movie? And there was a 1950's perspective that had a lot of nean lights and hla hoops and cars with fins. I think they said the future was swinging in the 50s or something to that effect.

And, of course, the very ending of the ride after you travel through your selection of Desert, Sea or Space (glad I got the chance to do all three) is a one of the most impressive future cityscapes I've EVER seen. The city was massive, not just in prespectibve, but in actual scale. The hues of blue have inspired the Sci Fi locations of some of my comic creations. I don't know if they destriyed that cityscape or incorperated it into something else, but I will always miss that finale'.

• Minion

I only got to go on that ride a few times - twice maybe - and loved it! As much fun as I had on Mission:Space, I also wish Horizons was back.

Hmmmm...I also wonder if they saved any of the props, like the above mentioned city, from the ride. Perhaps we'll find some of that stuff in a future ride/exhibit?

• Robot Chicken Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by meanderingmouse
    It was one of the best Disney dark rides ever created IMHO. The thing I enjoyed about it most was that it embodied the optimistic view of the future Walt Disney carried throughout his illustrious years. We are missing that at EPCOT now...Future World isn't much of a Future World if you ask me.

If you look closely in the queue area of Mission Space, the middle of the turning space station has the Horizons logo in the middle of it. That's one of my favorite details placed by the Imagineers at EPCOT.
    That's right i saw the horizons logo too, that was a nice touch or tribute to the old ride!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi
    If I might nitpick one minor detail here, it wasn't Land, Sea and Space, but Desert, Sea and Space that you chose at the end. Since it was in these three enviornments that the ride looked into making habitable living spaces for man's future.
    True, but land, sea and space just flows so much nicer

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

And, of course, the very ending of the ride after you travel through your selection of Desert, Sea or Space (glad I got the chance to do all three) is a one of the most impressive future cityscapes I've EVER seen. The city was massive, not just in prespectibve, but in actual scale.
    I think you're mixing a couple of attractions. I remember the cityscape at the end of World of Motion, but I don't remember any city after the filmed endings of Horizons. In fact, I'm pretty sure that as soon as you landed and the dividers moved out of your way, you were at the unload.

Check out this video - http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/e...ns/default.asp

"If we can dream it, then we can do it, yes we can, yes we can...."
    "If we can dream it, then we can do it, yes we can yes we can..."
    "Have you ever looked beyond today, into the future?"(theme song)

Aaaahhhh, the good old days! What a neat thread! Boy do I remember Horizons. New Horizons was to be the original name but the "New" was dropped at the last minute. Presented by General Electric and I remember watching them build it. I must have been 9 or 10 when that ride opened and at the time, we used to go to WDW every summer. I remember being SO excited to finally get to see Horizons, and to all you younguns out there, that was before the days of the internet, so you actually had to wait to see the pavilion. Now days somebody can take progress pics and post em on line. Technology, amazing! Anyway I remember at the begining of the ride going thru all the funny predictions of what different people had thought the future might hold. (the Jules Verne rocket tube with the dog floating, the 50's neon scene, the scene where the robot is vacuming the room, aka doing the guys hair) You had this guy and his wife that were the narrators and they also were AA characters on the ride. Man I can hear the music in my head from that ride still. You also had a couple of scenes where you went thru and Omin Max theatre (I think that's the proper name) I remember after getting to choose the ending when you were exiting they had this beautiful painting/mural on the wall that showed the old US/USSR/Paris, etc. in crumbles with everbody (citizens of the world) holding hands in unity looking at a new city that EVERYONE had built while the old cities were in rumbles. I guess you guys can see that Disney really had an impression on me when I was a kid.

I really am looking forward to my trip this May!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I think you're mixing a couple of attractions. I remember the cityscape at the end of World of Motion, but I don't remember any city after the filmed endings of Horizons. In fact, I'm pretty sure that as soon as you landed and the dividers moved out of your way, you were at the unload.

Check out this video - http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/e...ns/default.asp
    No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the vids to play. Computer problems. Suffice it to say I may be wrong. Seems like I remember the city while traveling sideways and hanging and I only remember the illusionary future cars you where placed in when you pass the mirror wall in World of Motion's conclusion (ala The Haunted Mansion). Could it have really been all that long ago?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the vids to play. Computer problems. Suffice it to say I may be wrong. Seems like I remember the city while traveling sideways and hanging and I only remember the illusionary future cars you where placed in when you pass the mirror wall in World of Motion's conclusion (ala The Haunted Mansion). Could it have really been all that long ago?
    Nope futue city was in World of Motion, another long gone, but often remembered ride.

sigh.