View Poll Results: you make the call...

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fix what needs to be fixed and open F! stat! Work on the other stuff later.

2 8.70%
  • Since its down fix and maintain all the scheduled improvements and open with a better looking show!

21 91.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Fantasmic! Canceled Last Night.

uhm.. it technically belong on TSI, where it is such a better ambience!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I'm going to be the the one person who thinks they should fix what needs to be fixed and open it back up stat. I'd rather they plan a full scale refurb/repaint than just put it together now. Besides, there are much better times of the year to close the show. So I think they should fix the structural problem now & reopen it stat. Then scedule a real refurb in August/September.
    The thing is that they do have everything they need for the re-furb/fix-up but they have just chosen to take their time with it. thats why we were saying that they should just do it while the show was down. but its a moot point now since the show is up and running. i saw it tonight.

Since were on the subject... you know what grinds my gears?... that they cant get the indians torches to work right on the canoes. i mean how hard can that be? freak... it just bugs me.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    uhm.. it technically belong on TSI, where it is such a better ambience!
    True that... preach on brother!

WplusK.com

• Banned User

WRDup! I am going to sneak up behind you and surprise you at MGM one of these nights.... Can't wait!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    WRDup! I am going to sneak up behind you and surprise you at MGM one of these nights.... Can't wait!
    Wish I could tag along.

But yes! I heard about this from a friend. The guests were quite upset, to say the least. I would think that they should try their best to continue to fix the stage and lighting as they can while the show continues to operate. I think that is what is the best for guests and keep it down for a minimal amount of time for the rest of the work. But that's just me. I bet poor Chris had a terrible night. He's great. He tries so hard and actually does his job! He "taught me everything I know" about projections. (Or so he liked to say.)

And Bill.. do you mean FAN at Epcot or MK?

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    All right, do what you gotta. I'm just saying that anytime I see anyone say anywho, it brings Jim to mind (and that's not a good thing!).
    Amen!

• Banned User

Fantasmic belongs in the Magic Kingdom on the Rivers of America. Unfortunately the parade route would need to chage in order for this to work, and that's really not possible in the Magic Kingdom =(

But that's where Fantasmic! belongs. Really, you could do Fantasmic! in Animal Kingdom and Joe Rohde would have his dragon. Which is really not a bad idea, though it really doesn't fit the park animal wise, and the boats wouldn't be able to be as large. Fantasmic! was built into an apmlitheater at the Disney-MGM Studios because there are no locations in any WDW park that would allow the nightly conversion into Fantasmic! Because of this, the show suffers without the transformation factor found at Disneyland that WOWs guests. I don't think Mike understands that... you need to get out to Disneyland Mike. Then I think you'll see what Fantasmic! is supposed to be like.

• Banned User

I hate to disagree (okay, even I have to laugh at that sarcasm) but Fantasmic was made for the amphitheter.
    Actually, the amplitheater was made for Fantasmic! because it wouldn't fit anywhere else at WDW, don't get it confused.

Imo, it doesn't get any more magical than seeing Sorcery Mickey on the mountain. But I guess this is for another thread.
    Ah, excellent idea. Okay, Bob Iger, if you read this, make a note. If you want more Magic, just put a statue of Sorcerer Mickey on top of the Forbidden Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, and replace the dead tree with Mickey on the top of Chick-a-pin Hill. And put him on the Matterhorn in Disneyland too. Yup, that should increase the magic factor for everyone. And there's a problem with people not knowing the actual name of the hill you go down in Splash Mountain, so, why not build a wand over it saying Chick-a-pin Hill? Then you can top off the actual Mount Everest with a giant hat and turn Big Thunder Mountain into Big Thunder Pepto Cake. Yeah, if that's not magical, I don't know what is. lol

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Fantasmic belongs in the Magic Kingdom on the Rivers of America. Unfortunately the parade route would need to chage in order for this to work, and that's really not possible in the Magic Kingdom =(
    You'd have to change a bunch, like getting rid of the cool board walkway right by the Rivers. I'm not fond of this idea - I like the uniqueness of WDW's Rivers area.

Fantasmic! was built into an apmlitheater at the Disney-MGM Studios because there are no locations in any WDW park that would allow the nightly conversion into Fantasmic! Because of this, the show suffers without the transformation factor found at Disneyland that WOWs guests.
    Nothing wrong with your opinion, but I don't agree. I don't think there's anything inherently special about the transformation of the Frontierland area. Yeah, it's cool, but not that big a deal. That said, if I had to pick one of the locations, I do enjoy the DL location better, but I don't see the theater in MGM as really hurting the show. But as to the show itself, DL's version totally trumps MGM's copy!

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Ah, excellent idea. Okay, Bob Iger, if you read this, make a note. If you want more Magic, just put a statue of Sorcerer Mickey on top of the Forbidden Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, and replace the dead tree with Mickey on the top of Chick-a-pin Hill. And put him on the Matterhorn in Disneyland too. Yup, that should increase the magic factor for everyone. And there's a problem with people not knowing the actual name of the hill you go down in Splash Mountain, so, why not build a wand over it saying Chick-a-pin Hill? Then you can top off the actual Mount Everest with a giant hat and turn Big Thunder Mountain into Big Thunder Pepto Cake. Yeah, if that's not magical, I don't know what is. lol
    Yeah I don't think thats what he meant, and you know it. So there really is no need for this sarcasm. I agree with him, the best thrill I get from Fantasmic! is seeing Mickey at the top of the mountain. Not seeing him there like a statue, but appearing 'from nowhere' to an amazing musical score and pyro, and being part of a crowd who are as equally in awe as I am. But you knew that anyway.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup
    looks like our opinion matters not as Fantasmic was shown at its regularly scheduled time tonight. sadly, it looks like the improvements will wait.
    Well I suppose Disney did the right thing. The least they could do is make minor adjustments during the day and please the thousands of paying guests as well at night.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Well I suppose Disney did the right thing. The least they could do is make minor adjustments during the day and please the thousands of paying guests as well at night.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. Think if you weren't watching it every night Wes! It's hard to imagine since you were once so close to DLR and now you're living at WDW. But think if you were on vacation and weren't being paid to watch the parade and Fantasmic daily. mhmm... Exactly!

• Self Congratulative

Sucks, I was there the night before it fell.

My problem with Fantasmic is its location in "Adventure Avenue." It is a nightmare having both RnRC and Tower of Terror right at the foot of the entrance and exit to such a huge show where half the park's population is trying to funnel through. Everyone wants to stop in the middle of park flow to take pictures, contemplate riding ToT or RnRC or whatever. It's so frustrating!

• Former Epcot CM

I get frustrated with the times. I think RnRC and ToT should be open for at least an hour after the show, I think the Tower would be so cool to ride in the dark and it looks stunning. The shops are open, why not the two rides near the show's exit? Path ways to the left of the GMR could be blocked so strictly the right side of the park is accessible, and only two attractions open.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. Think if you weren't watching it every night Wes! It's hard to imagine since you were once so close to DLR and now you're living at WDW. But think if you were on vacation and weren't being paid to watch the parade and Fantasmic daily. mhmm... Exactly!
    Dont get me wrong. I think the show should be open everynight if possible. But when the mountain fell apart we were, initially, unsure of how long it would take to fix it. It wasnt until after i started the thread that we knew it could be fixed in one night and there would be no need to close the show for a longer period of time. I was thinking that if it was going to take 3 or 4 days to fix the mtn and 4 or 5 days to fix everything else then they should do it all at once (especially if they had a quality alternative, i.e. sorcery in the sky...). but since it was such and easy one-night fix i wouldnt expect them and would be shocked if they kept the show closed longer.

btw... it makes me chuckle to think of how fortunate (and almost spoiled) i am everytime i hear someone say, "you live at wdw".

WplusK.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast