Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

On my first and only visit to WDW, EPCOT's UoE & WP didn't interest me much. Body Wars gave me motion sickness (yet I love Star Tours) and UoE was interesting for the 1st time. I didn't find it repeatable. Plus it takes up SO MUCH space for 1 attraction.

I'm glad to hear rumors they're doing something to these sites.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Body Wars gave me motion sickness (yet I love Star Tours)
    Ditto...and no other Disney ride makes me sick. Body Wars was rough and the whole "in the body thing"...yeah too much.

• Disney-it's a way of life

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Ditto...and no other Disney ride makes me sick. Body Wars was rough and the whole "in the body thing"...yeah too much.
    I totally agree. I was feeling a bit sick after getting off BW as well. But I still love WoL. I just think they need to get another sponser and revamp it. Who would want to see something like The Making of Me go away? haha Seriously though.. it'd be such a waste if these educational attractions were to go dark in place for some other mindless, crap attraction... think Stitch's Great Mistake... I mean Escape. And I'm still sad about seeing Timekeeper go permanently dark...

Eh... if they just actually try to budget, I'm sure they could revamp it, and possibly get a decent sponsor. At least, let's hold on to some hope.

Don't yell at me for posting this, but...

We really hated Universe of Energy. It seemed promising- Ellen DeGeneres, Bill Nye, Alex Trebek, but in the end, it was a complete snooze fest that took way too much time.

First, the pre-show was totally annoying. Ellen jumping from screen to screen for no apparent reason was very frustrating, and made it hard to concentrated. You had to sit on one of the four extremely small benches or on the floor of the huge room.

Second, moving around to watch different movies was silly. It took a terribly long amount of time.

Third, the dark ride portion took forever, and served little to no purpose. It wasn't very realistic, and there was nothing special about it.

Need I go on?

Sorry, but this attraction needs to be updated or needs to go. The ride is annoying, boring, and simply shouldn't be in a high-quailty park like EPCOT- especially when it is surrounded by great rides like Misson: Space and Test Track (and even Spaceship Earth!)

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I don't blame you.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Test Track and Mission Space are many things ... great rides wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind.

• Vehicle rotating backward

UoE needs to change or go. I love the old rides like SSE and am sad to see the Seabase theme of TLS disappear, but UoE is unable to really serve any kind of purpose but a silly timesink. If it were to stay around, it would need to become a pitch for renewable energy to be current for our times. Unfortunately, since it is sponsored by one of the giants of Big Oil (who see such technology as a way of breaking our dependency on them) the message is, dare I say it, polluted.

With markets and analysts predicting demand for current fuels outstripping supply, a ride like UoE is probably on the verge of being rather useful for the world. It would probably impact the attraction directly and for the better if the sponsor was not an active political deterrent of our most likely path of the future. Disney would not want to actually give up taking Exxon's money, though, so I don't know what they would do here.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

^^ As a public relations matter, most of the big energy companies love to brag about what they're doing to promote alternative energy. An example would be BP's ongoing ad campaign. I think ExxonMobil would welcome a venue to showcase new technologies and renewable energy (and I'm sure they would still have to give some props to traditional oil and gas).

But they have to do something. You could burn UoE down and let the children play in its ruins and it would be a better attraction.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Disney would not want to actually give up taking Exxon's money,
    Lol I think ExxonMobile already gave up on giving Disney money...in 2004 I believe.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Unfortunately, since it is sponsored by one of the giants of Big Oil (who see such technology as a way of breaking our dependency on them) the message is, dare I say it, polluted.
    UoE is no longer a sponsored attraction. Exxon removed their sponsorship a few years ago.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Futureworld needs a major overhaul and it's a shame because I love that park more than any other park at disney. UoE and Imagination almost need to be torn down and started over with. Hopefully the coming upgrades to the Living Seas will revitalize that pavilion.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    UoE is no longer a sponsored attraction. Exxon removed their sponsorship a few years ago.
    Ah, well then, renew away. And hopefully with something a little less cheeky than a hybrid Hummer this time.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Tes Track and Mission:SPACE can indeed be called great rides. There enjoyability is not the problem. It's the fact that they don't fit in with the theme of Future World that is the problem. There's nothing futuristic about riding around in a race car, or going to the moon from a technological point of view. There out of place, but not bad or "un-great" rides.

The Dark Ride part of Ellen's Energy Adventure/Universe of Energy is too long? That's the shortesdt part of the whole attaction. It's like three to five minutes. If anything, thats the part of the attraction that needs to be longer.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi
    There's nothing futuristic about......going to the moon from a technological point of view.
    In Mission:Space, you go to Mars in an X2 Spacecraft. That's something I for one definitely view as 'futuristic' being that we have never done that before nor do we currently have a vehicle capable of sending humans to Mars.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

From a technical standpoint we can go to Mars. Financially is another story.

Now it may be something that we can do in the future, but it still isn't quite going along with the thematics of that area of EPCOT which originaly had been a positive look into mankind's future.
    Last edited by Digital Jedi; 03-28-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast