Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
  1. #46

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi
    From a technical standpoint we can go to Mars. Financially is another story...EPCOT which originaly had been a positive look into mankinds future
    Let's look at Epcot's original attractions:
    Sea Base Alpha: Besides the preshow, there was nothing futuristic about it
    UoE: not any more futuristic more futuristic than the current version
    WoM: Except for the last few moments of the ride, everything looks at the past.
    SSE: Again, only the very end offers any glimpse into our future
    Horizons: Just like M:S (although in a different way), definitely looks into our future
    WoL: With the exception of Body Wars (which even that I wouldn't call futuristic), nothing here was futuristic
    Imagination: No matter what version, nothing here is futuristic
    The Land: Nothing overly futuristic here

    Epcot never meant Future World as in futuristic. Any and all futuristic things are in Tomorrowland. Future World is half edutainment and half 'our-future.' Going to Mars is our future (whether or not technology today is available). Test Track is Edutaining. EEE does have our future (at the end) and is edutaining.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  2. #47

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    UoE and Imagination almost need to be torn down and started over with
    Indeed. Let me amend my previous statement:

    "You could burn UoE AND Jouney into Imagination down and let the children play in their ruins and they would be better attractions."
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  3. #48

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,821

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Let's look at Epcot's original attractions:
    Sea Base Alpha: Besides the preshow, there was nothing futuristic about it
    UoE: not any more futuristic more futuristic than the current version
    WoM: Except for the last few moments of the ride, everything looks at the past.
    SSE: Again, only the very end offers any glimpse into our future
    Horizons: Just like M:S (although in a different way), definitely looks into our future
    WoL: With the exception of Body Wars (which even that I wouldn't call futuristic), nothing here was futuristic
    Imagination: No matter what version, nothing here is futuristic
    The Land: Nothing overly futuristic here
    Uh...no.
    -SeaBase Alpha, we don't have any tourist sites on the ocean floor yet.
    -UoE I can agree with.
    -WoM showed past present and future. It worked.
    -Like you said, SSE works.
    -Horizons was 90% future.
    -WoL, yeah not too futureistic. Though Body Wars was.
    -Imagination...Not really.
    -Everything in the land's greenhouses are being grown and treated in ground breaking ways. Thats what EPCOT is about. The Land is (maybe was more in the past).
    Future World was futuristic. Much of it is gone. Some of it is still there.

  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Epcot never meant Future World as in futuristic. Any and all futuristic things are in Tomorrowland. Future World is half edutainment and half 'our-future.' Going to Mars is our future (whether or not technology today is available). Test Track is Edutaining. EEE does have our future (at the end) and is edutaining.
    I would characterize it as Future World is about Man's progress and the future and "edutainment". WoM and SSE both chronicle(d) human progress in transportation and communication, respectively. The Land fits because it showcases innovative/experimental ways to grow food in the future (or the present). M:S clearly fits because it simulates manned planetary space exploration, something that's technically possible now but is still in our future (or at least we should aspire for it to be part of our future, which is also part of the point of having the attraction, imo).

    In short, I guess I've always thought of FW as the world's coolest Science Fair.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  5. #50

    • Solar Flare Foamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    558

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Epcot never meant Future World as in futuristic
    Oh contraire...
    Sea Base Alpha: Besides the preshow, there was nothing futuristic about it
    Nothing futuristic about a look into mans ability to harness the resources and power of the earth's ocean?

    UoE: not any more futuristic more futuristic than the current version
    At the time, yes it was. Solar panels used to power an entire attraction was somehitng noone had ever seen before. Solar energy was the wave of the future at that time.

    WoM: Except for the last few moments of the ride, everything looks at the past.
    As with all looks into the future, it examined it by looking into our past and extrapolating what the future would be like. It didn't matter that it wasn't the major portion of the show. What mattered was that that's where the show was taking us.

    SSE: Again, only the very end offers any glimpse into our future
    If you consider half of the ride the very end of the ride. This spent less time using the same plot devise that World of Motion used. It examined communications over time to see where it would go in the future.

    WoL: With the exception of Body Wars (which even that I wouldn't call futuristic), nothing here was futuristic
    There is an actual scientific principle behind shrinking. Even though science doens't believe it is currently possible, they do believe that there is a princicple that would make it possible. Aside form all that, what isn't futuristic about a ride that injects you into the human blood stream?

    Imagination: No matter what version, nothing here is futuristic
    The original version used technology that no one new exsited at that time. The entire attraction was ahead of it's time in what it was capable of doing, so the imagination was inspired by what one could potentialy do with his imagination.

    The Land: Nothing overly futuristic here.
    Uh, what? Their looking into growing crops in space and in deserts? That's not futuristic?


    The point is that each attraction looked into tommorrow the same way the Carousel of Progress did. Carousel of Progreess spent more time on the past then it did on the future, but it did so by taking us on a journey through each generation and looking at how we viewed the advances of our time. Then when it did all that, it took us to the future. Each ride in Future World was designed on the same premeise, to give us a glimpse into a bright and positive future. The most recent attractions, do not follow this theme. They are gret rides to be sure, but they follow the themetics of a bottom line more closely then they do the themeatics of "a great, big, beautiful tomorow."



  6. #51

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    ^^ Like I just said, it's about progress!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  7. #52

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Nothing futuristic about a look into mans ability to harness the resources and power of the earth's ocean?
    Again, just the preshow. The rest of the pavilion was just one giant aquarium. Was there anything after you stepped off the hydrolators that made you feel like you were harnessing the resources and powers of the ocean?
    Solar energy was the wave of the future at that time.
    And now, they talk about fusion power. Either way, I still see old & new as more edutaining than futuristic.
    If you consider half of the ride the very end of the ride.
    I consider the Futuristic portion to start once Irons says "Wondrous new tools..." and ends with the Global Neighborhood announcement. That is 2.5 minutes out of the 11.5 minute attraction. That is not half the attraction.
    The original version used technology that no one new exsited at that time. The entire attraction was ahead of it's time in what it was capable of doing, so the imagination was inspired by what one could potentialy do with his imagination.
    Spin it whatever way you want, it's not futuristic.
    Aside form all that, what isn't futuristic about a ride that injects you into the human blood stream?
    Again, I said with the exception of Body Wars.
    Uh, what? Their looking into growing crops in space and in deserts? That's not futuristic?
    Well, if the attraction wasn't there for over 10 years, I'd agree with you.
    Each ride in Future World was designed on the same premeise, to give us a glimpse into a bright and positive future. The most recent attractions, do not follow this theme.
    Being able to go to Mars isn't a bright & positive future? M:S even has families going to space & if I remember correctly, they had colonies on the moon.

    And not every attraction in future world had to do with the future (Kitchen Kaberet, Food Rocks, Imagination, Magic Journeys, HIStA, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    -SeaBase Alpha, we don't have any tourist sites on the ocean floor yet.
    Just like with MS, we don't have any manned missions to mars.
    Future World was futuristic. Much of it is gone. Some of it is still there.
    I don't see how any 'futurism' is gone. Let's take away Imagination, UoE & SSE as the future level of old vs. new is the same. Let's take away LS too since we really don't know where they are going with it & will take away WoL too, since it hasn't changed. What we have left is...
    M:S vs Horizons- I classify both as equally futuristic
    TT vs. WoM- A little less futuristic (the postshow area is somewhat futuristic)
    Old Land vs New Land: I'd call Living with the Land more futuristic than Listen to the Land. The rest of the attractions (both old & new) aren't really futuristic.

    Okay, so some future was lost with TT but was regained with Living with the Land.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  8. #53

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    I love the hovercraft aspect to this ride and I love the riding into the movie screen effect... (I hope they keep these two things...) but I do feel this ride needs to be updated. The whole Jeopardy thing is kinda old...

  9. #54

    • Been there-Doing it again
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    77

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    I like UOE Ellen version better than the original, while I'm not an Ellen fan I thought it was improvement. I think they should keep it. It's nice to have a ride that you don't spend an hour in line for a two minute ride.

  10. #55

    • Meega, nala kwishta!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    187

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out.

    Quote Originally Posted by KNRG
    I do know the word is to not keep the Energy ride system. It's been far too buggy. Attempts to modernize it have even been canceled. In short, if it closes, that ride system is a goner.

    The building itself is not doing so well either. The massive hydraulic doors that seperate the various scenes have been failing with more frequency and have gone months being unrepairable.

    So, the whole ride system and the building is considered almost entirely unrecyclable.
    I guess that would explain why the ride brokedown last time we were there.

  11. #56

    • Channeling Walt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Planet7
    Posts
    817

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    -UoE I can agree with.
    -WoM showed past present and future. It worked.
    -Like you said, SSE works.
    -Horizons was 90% future.
    Uh, guys, you don't get it. Spaceship, Universe of Energy, Horizons, World of Motion, Living with the Land, Symbiosis, and Living Seas, while presenting diverse topics and in widely varying media, all shared a common trait. They all showed the past, present, and a projected future for each subject area. I can cite specifics for each attraction if you'd like. But since we're talking about Energy here--and since many here apparently didn't get Energy's message--let me recap.

    (This references the original version, not the dumbed-down and disjointed Ellen version):

    In Preshow--perhaps the first pre-show ever to be an intergral part of the main show, and not something just to fill time--was an "energy primer", explaining what energy is, what forms it takes, and how it behaves. Btw, if you were sitting on the benches or the floor (risking be stepped on), you largely missed the power and beauty of this presentation. For some reason, you really have to stand to fully appreciate it.

    Theater I - The Energy Creation Story - the largest-format animated film ever produced, depicted the formation of fossil fuels.

    Diorama - Took guests from the film to the "reality" of what they'd just seen. This was more for entertainment value than education, but I have no problem with that. The idea of Future World was to inform while entertaining. It also served as a continuity element, to bridge the timeline. At the end of the Theater I film, the story was 360 million years in the past. The Diorama starts at that point, progressing to 65 million years in the past. There is a jump 65 million years to the present--but there the transitional elements (fog, lighting) help, just as they originally did on Spaceship.

    Theater II - we've seen the past--and now we open with a look at the present, one with a nod toward the future--with a sweeping view of Solar One. I'll be the first to admit that the film was (due to Exxon's influence) too fossil-fuel-centric, but beyond that they did extensively cover alternative energy sources, including things that many people would never have heard of. Aside from wind and solar, there were things like biomass, with a visit to WDW's own (now defunct) biomass program. Finally, a glimpse at the future, with an all too brief and dream-like "city of the future" (bearing a strong resemblance to Horizons Nova Cite). The film quickly moves on to nuclear fusion, which still may be our best hope.

    Finale - The Theater II film's finale ties everything together, before thrusting the audience into a bright, colorful, energetic vision of the future in which truly have harnessed "the Universe of Energy"

    To those of you who found it too "boring" or slept through it, you don't know what you missed. It never failed to touch me, just as Spaceship and Horizons did.

    If you'd like to discover what you missed--or just learn more about this landmark pavilion--I invite you to visit www.energy.planet7.org
    G7

    It's your future. Make it a great one.
    http://planet7.org/

  12. #57

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by Planet7
    Uh, guys, you don't get it. Spaceship, Universe of Energy, Horizons, World of Motion, Living with the Land, Symbiosis, and Living Seas, while presenting diverse topics and in widely varying media, all shared a common trait. They all showed the past, present, and a projected future for each subject area. I can cite specifics for each attraction if you'd like. But since we're talking about Energy here--and since many here apparently didn't get Energy's message--let me recap.

    (This references the original version, not the dumbed-down and disjointed Ellen version):

    In Preshow--perhaps the first pre-show ever to be an intergral part of the main show, and not something just to fill time--was an "energy primer", explaining what energy is, what forms it takes, and how it behaves. Btw, if you were sitting on the benches or the floor (risking be stepped on), you largely missed the power and beauty of this presentation. For some reason, you really have to stand to fully appreciate it.

    Theater I - The Energy Creation Story - the largest-format animated film ever produced, depicted the formation of fossil fuels.

    Diorama - Took guests from the film to the "reality" of what they'd just seen. This was more for entertainment value than education, but I have no problem with that. The idea of Future World was to inform while entertaining. It also served as a continuity element, to bridge the timeline. At the end of the Theater I film, the story was 360 million years in the past. The Diorama starts at that point, progressing to 65 million years in the past. There is a jump 65 million years to the present--but there the transitional elements (fog, lighting) help, just as they originally did on Spaceship.

    Theater II - we've seen the past--and now we open with a look at the present, one with a nod toward the future--with a sweeping view of Solar One. I'll be the first to admit that the film was (due to Exxon's influence) too fossil-fuel-centric, but beyond that they did extensively cover alternative energy sources, including things that many people would never have heard of. Aside from wind and solar, there were things like biomass, with a visit to WDW's own (now defunct) biomass program. Finally, a glimpse at the future, with an all too brief and dream-like "city of the future" (bearing a strong resemblance to Horizons Nova Cite). The film quickly moves on to nuclear fusion, which still may be our best hope.

    Finale - The Theater II film's finale ties everything together, before thrusting the audience into a bright, colorful, energetic vision of the future in which truly have harnessed "the Universe of Energy"

    To those of you who found it too "boring" or slept through it, you don't know what you missed. It never failed to touch me, just as Spaceship and Horizons did.

    If you'd like to discover what you missed--or just learn more about this landmark pavilion--I invite you to visit www.energy.planet7.org
    touching...perhaps...but not to a 7-year old, which was its problem. It wasn't family-friendly and Disney is supposed to be that way. World of Motion and Horizons were at least family-friendly (as were really all of the other pavillions).
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


  13. #58

    • Channeling Walt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Planet7
    Posts
    817

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Just like with MS, we don't have any manned missions to mars
    If Mission:Space really was themed as "Mission to Mars", this statement would be valid. But it itsn't. They make a very specific point that you're on a "training mission"--the finale even drives that point home to the extent that it's a complete anticlimax. It could have been a fun experience, but you've just been reminded that you went absolutely nowhere, and it was all completely pointless. Now of course, we all knew we weren't really going to Mars--but what makes an adventure work is the "suspension of disbelief", which they completely shot to hell.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    M:S vs Horizons- I classify both as equally futuristic
    M:S takes us on a training mission using current-day technology. Horizons presented a cohesive and enagaging storyline, where we visit a family of the future, living in a futuristic city, an undersea habitat, in a desert colony (complete with orchards of genetically-engineered fruits), and even in outer space. There is absolutely no comparison here!

    The even bigger problem that I have with M:S, is that there is zero emotional connection. The story, and the emotional connection, is what sets the great Disney rides apart from their counterparts. Sadly, Disney seems to have forgotten this over the last 10 or 15 years.
    Last edited by Planet7; 05-05-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    G7

    It's your future. Make it a great one.
    http://planet7.org/

  14. #59

    • Channeling Walt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Planet7
    Posts
    817

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    World of Motion and Horizons were at least family-friendly (as were really all of the other pavillions).
    I worked Energy for close to two years, so I have a pretty good idea of what the demographic was like. It was definitely a family attraction. Even if smaller children didn't understand everything, they loved the dinosaurs, and the upbeat music and visuals were enough to keep the interest level for many. There were no age, height, or other restrictions.

    Compare that to Mission: Space, Test Track, Body Wars, and Soarin'--all of which have ride restrictions, and some of which (M:S and Body Wars in particular) actively discourage guests of all ages from visiting.

    There is very clearly a trend away from attractions that the whole family can enjoy together (especially in the realm of "E-Tickets"; I'm at a complete loss to think of an E-Ticket in the last 10 years that has no ride restrictions).

    If you didn't enjoy Energy, that's fine, that's your experience. But suggesting that it's family-unfriendly simply doesn't hold water.
    G7

    It's your future. Make it a great one.
    http://planet7.org/

  15. #60

    • Channeling Walt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Planet7
    Posts
    817

    Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out.

    Quote Originally Posted by StitchIsKing
    I guess that would explain why the ride brokedown last time we were there.
    Energy's ride system is complex, and as such, has always been somewhat problematic. But I'm glad they didn't shy away from using what was, at the time, cutting-edge technology to present a show unlike anything else in existence. They're still doing that today, with rides like M:S and Test Track. While I don't think they're the best Disney has to offer, I'm glad to see that they're still embracing technology as a means of presenting a good show. With that comes a certain level of unreliability, which I accept as a reasonable compromise.
    G7

    It's your future. Make it a great one.
    http://planet7.org/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WEDway Radio Episode 20 - Universe of Energy
    By Wedway Radio in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 07:08 AM
  2. [Question] Why isn't there a store at Epcot's Universe of Energy?
    By mikeland in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM
  3. Who has ridden the Universe of Energy?
    By Monkey joe in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 02:05 PM
  4. FINALLY - Some info on the Universe of Energy refurb!
    By fjhuerta in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 05:49 AM
  5. Why is Universe of Energy not sponsored by Chevron?
    By pancakesaregood in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 08:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •