Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Self Congratulative

Universe of Energy may be on its way out

As long as the plan goes forth with no budget problems, it looks like Ellen will see her last days soon (maybe the end of 2007). It kinda sucks because I like the ride, but whatever is going to replace it is supposed to be huge so we'll see I guess.

Does anyone here work at Epcot and know more?

• Banned User

Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out

where did that rumor come from? Unless they get a new sponsor, don't see why they would close it. not with wonders of life closed. If they kept the energy theme I think it would be cool to update something like adventures through inner space and become an atom and explore nuclear energy and other renuable sources. besides disney gets a tax break for having solar pannels on the roof. or they used to and I think the new energy act allows for that too.

• Disney Memory Maker

What are your sources? Right now, I consider this the same as I consider a revival of Beastlie Kingdomme, an insertion of a Harry Potter Ride or an addition of a 5th gate
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• time to go

UoE has mostly been a glorified PR campaign for Big Oil. While the Second Coming with Ellen and Bill Nye the Science Guy was a vast improvement over the snooze fest of the original, I'd still like to see something altogether different on that enormous piece of Epcot real estate.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

Thank God . Universe of Energy and Wonders of Life both needed to go. There is a rumor on Screamscape that one MASSIVE pavillion will replace them both sponsored by Dupont but I guess we'll see. I really want some new attractions at Epcot.

Re: Universe of Energy may be on its way out.

Sources, please.

Screamscape is throwing around the DuPont rumor but I tied that into the WoL and not UoE. I guess we'll find out when Disney wants us to find out

• Banned User

I do know the word is to not keep the Energy ride system. It's been far too buggy. Attempts to modernize it have even been canceled. In short, if it closes, that ride system is a goner.

The building itself is not doing so well either. The massive hydraulic doors that seperate the various scenes have been failing with more frequency and have gone months being unrepairable.

So, the whole ride system and the building is considered almost entirely unrecyclable.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by KNRG
    So, the whole ride system and the building is considered almost entirely unrecyclable.
    Not to mention the show.

Eh... good riddance, UoE!!

I hope the rumor about creating one H-U-M-O-N-G-O-U-S show building for a new pavilion is beyond blue sky. Epcot needs sooooo much work! And none of this 'Sprinkling of C-Tickets' flim-flam.

The DuPont sponsorship could be scary. But a new 'House of the Future' made entirely from Corian™ would please the soccer moms and clean queens.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    What are your sources? Right now, I consider this the same as I consider a revival of Beastlie Kingdomme, an insertion of a Harry Potter Ride or an addition of a 5th gate
    Would someone check out my butt right now, please? I want to make sure pigs aren't flying out because yet again, I find myself in total agreement with Mikey.

I've got plenty of connections at Disney and have heard plenty of rumors, many that I've posted on and a few that I've been asked not to lest they be traced to their source, but I haven't heard anything about this.

I just don't see it happenning.

Quote Originally Posted by KNRG
    I do know the word is to not keep the Energy ride system. It's been far too buggy. Attempts to modernize it have even been canceled. In short, if it closes, that ride system is a goner.

The building itself is not doing so well either. The massive hydraulic doors that seperate the various scenes have been failing with more frequency and have gone months being unrepairable.

This sounds like the same BS they brought out when they got rid of the Horizons building.

The UoE is almost 25 years old. I'm also reasonably sure that it's largely been ignored in the maintainance/modernizing dept over the past dozen years.

No one will convince me that in 2006 they can't modernize/retrofit a building built in 1982 anymore than anyone will convince me that CoP will have to close because they simply can't keep the turntable turning.

This, if true, is more about Disney wanting empty warehouse/soundstage buildings that don't cost much vs. truly unique structures that cost more.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

You know, the ride was just fine the way it was. The opening movie was a simple cartoon that set up the travel back in time quite nicely. I liked the blocks that used to flip back and forth in the preshow, although that could have been a lot more interesting. The only thing that absolutly killed the experience was the 40 minute closing movie. For crying out loud, let me out of the ride already! It's the ony atraction I've ever fallen asleep in.

The Ellen and Bill addition was nice, but as a result, the prehistoric era kind of lost it's edge. I liked the sense of danger from the original story. And wasn't one of those dinos supposed to drool on you? I never saw it happen. Not to mention the end was still waaaaaaay tooo loooong.

My wish would be for there to be more ride and less movie. I don't know the spatal relationships, but if they could make it more a pre-historic adventure with a lot more of it taking place in the "cars" then I'm certain it would be more successful.

• Self Congratulative

Wow, I didn't think this post would start so much commotion. Geeze. My sources are solid.

However, I guess I should add that this is a very hushed operation because as of right now it is totally a blue sky plan. But if you ask anyone who works near the Universe, they can tell you about WDI folks fishing around the good ol' attraction.

Trust me, I love the UoE to death and would hate to see it go, but apparently, whatever they have planned is huge and needs the space.

Here's an interesting tidbit that someone mentioned to me, however I'm not sure how much I believe this. I was told that this might be a roller coaster type attraction which is fueled by the original idea for the hypothetical project "gemini." I'm not sure I believe that one though.

I do see a trend in WDI getting rid of the old pavillions for some new thrill attraction though. Look at Test Track and Mission Space. What's next in line?

I was just putting this info out there, please respect that I was just starting conversation and not looking for criticism of what "my sources" may be. I just thought you would like to hear it. We're all friends here, right?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    The DuPont sponsorship could be scary.
    I know...especially scary if they tried to design an attraction to fit DuPont's product lines...how could anything turn out good?

No Pigs WDW1974.

Okay, for EPCOT Disney built a geodesic sphere when they said it couldn't be done...you're telling me Disney can't replace hydrolics to open a door?

Trust me, I love the UoE to death and would hate to see it go, but apparently, whatever they have planned is huge and needs the space.
    I'd like to see anything that needs the space of two pavillions actually get the go-ahead in modern Disney.

I was told that this might be a roller coaster type attraction which is fueled by the original idea for the hypothetical project "gemini." I'm not sure I believe that one though.
    See that pisses me off. EPCOT has amanaged to go 23 years as the 3rd most visited park in the country without a single coaster. I hate the thought of something as unoriginal as a coaster coming to EPCOT.

• Banned User

I think its gonna be Time Racers but its NOT a roller coaster. It has slow moving scenes mixed in with fast rocket rod type scenes.

• Self Congratulative

I doubt the whole Time Racers thing. From the people I talk to, they made the Time Racers concept seem like it was never really a solid idea anyway.

who knows.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast