Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Hello, I'm new here. Question about Epcot

I just revisited WDW for the first time in probably 16 years. I believe the last time I was there I was 12. At that point in time, Epcot was by far my most favorite park. I remember just being in awe of all the amazing futuristic stuff. So needless to say I was very excited about visiting Epcot this time around. Especially with the new Test Track because I'd heard nothing but great things.

Well, I was extremely disapointed with Epcot. First, Test Track was closed for a month or so when I got there. I was very upset at this because I had even mentioned how excited I was about seeing Test Track to the lady on the phone when I ordered my tickets and hotel stay and no one ever mentioned it wouldn't be working. I probably would have rearranged my travel times to coordinate with it opening had I known this.

Secondly, the whole futureland concept is so incredibly dated. It literally looked like many of the things they had before as future exhibits hadn't changed in the 16 years since I'd visited. Sure Horizons was gone and I missed that, but it just felt so old.

Spaceship Earth and the Energy ride so need to be redone. (I'm very glad to read the thread saying that Ellen and Bill's days may be numbered at the park.) The Spaceship Earth building has to stay but it needs to be one of the greatest rides at the park, not something dated like it is now. Honey I shrunk the Audience and the imagination ride with figment were just aweful for today's day and age. And the living seas pavilion needs something aside from the crush talk (which I didn't have time to see to make it worth even heading over there.)

Now, I did thoroughly enjoy Soarin, but with Test Track being down and me not even being willing to touch Mission Space with the hundreds of huge signs warning of motion sickness, the park just seemed not worth the admission. (another question, what is Mission Space truly like. I get motion sickness on Star Tours so would this ride kill me? What does it do?)

Now, the world showcase was still as good as it ever was. I love the Norway ride and section, but the Mexico ride needs something different to it. I also think it was a mistake to put the only two rides in that section of the park right next to each other.

Anyhow, enough of my ranting. Aside from not being told that Test Track was down for a long time (Which I'm still very upset about and probably should have complained to someone although it wouldn't have done any good), I still had a good time, but it just strikes me that the future land portion of Epcot needs a revitalization even more than Tomorrow land at Magic Kingdom.

Are there any credible rumors about any renovations to what used to be my favorite park. I'd love to see it get the treatment it deserves to regain that luster it had as a kid for me.

• Disney Prince

Re: Hello, I'm new here. Question about Epcot

it's best you wait and see, EPCOT's 25th is coming up and there have been rumblings about huge things coming to EPCOT.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You're really not missing much with Test Track. It's fun, but not worth all the hoopla.

As for Mission: Space, it's a simulator that's WAY more intense than Star Tours could ever hope to be. So yeah, that would probably "kill" you. I personally have had no problems with it. As long as you follow the instructions you're fine. The problem is too many people get worked up and it's in their head they're going to get sick... so they do.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I get sick on Star Tours, and almost everything else. I did Mission: SPACE and loved. I did, however, have a tiny headache, but I get those all the time at parks.

• Don't Panic

to answer your question about what, exactly, mission space does...
    i would assume you've seen some movie where astronauts are being trained and the are strapped in to a chair and spun around really fast around the circumference of a circle. this is basically what is going on except you are totally surrounded by a "vehicle" type thing. it imitates zero-g (a very amazing sensation.) it sounds intense, but you can't even tell that you are spinning, and there is air blowing on your face the entire time, which helps. there is also a "window," which is your screen, which gives you somewhere to look, and each person in the compartment is given a certain task to do, so that keeps you alert and keeps your mind from wandering too far.

overall, it isn't all the difficult to get through. a lot of what people go through is them psyching themselves out about it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

The trick to handling Mission: Space is to relax as much as possible. Just drop your shoulders and exhale. That'll keep you from getting that headachy feeling lazyboy970 mentioned. If you tense up, you'll feel like crap.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    it's best you wait and see, EPCOT's 25th is coming up and there have been rumblings about huge things coming to EPCOT.
    Don't hold your breath. My sources working for the mouse tell me a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    Well, I was extremely disapointed ...
    First up, welcome to our little disfunctional family . Secondly, you are suffering from "ClassicWDW-itis", a condition that occurs on guests who remember what WDW used to be like versus what it has become. Doctors thinks a dosis of Ouimettlizin syrup could fix the problem...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    The trick to handling Mission: Space is to relax as much as possible. Just drop your shoulders and exhale.
    Don't forget to pull the oxigen mask towards you to start the flow of oxigen, then place it over your head before assiting others seated next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    First up, welcome to our little disfunctional family . Secondly, you are suffering from "ClassicWDW-itis", a condition that occurs on guests who remember what WDW used to be like versus what it has become. Doctors thinks a dosis of Ouimettlizin syrup could fix the problem...
    You really should try comedy ... do some standup ... with your day job and unique perspectives on things, you might have a second career!

And, I'm still waiting on Epcot's 25th ... I've heard a lot of things (some very good), but a lot is up in the air, and at this late date, that seems to not bode well.

I do feel safe in saying that there will be lots of pins for sale along with shirts/CDs/collectibles that celebrate all the great stuff that's been taken away ...

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

First off, with Mission: Space it's really, really hard to say for sure how it's going to affect you. It affects each individual differently. You might get sick. You might get a headache. You might get dizzy. The experience is different for everyone. But for some certainty, it is probably the fastest thing you wil ever ride.

It is not a simulator in the classic sense. It spins you so fast, you don't even know your spinning. Couple that with video screen that are two inches away from your head, and your "tricked" into thinking your truly being rocketed into space. It's the only ride I know of with air sickness bags. But chances are if your prone to sickness on fast moving rides then you'll probably have some problems with Mision: Space. I know that it just makes me feel weird afterwards. Not dizzy. Not sick. Just disoriented. I know I don't feel good, but for some strange reason I'm compelled to ride it again anyway. (Well, at least until I've had a chance to recover) Some people it doesn't bother at all. It's really up to you if you want to "test the waters".

Now I disagre with aimster on Test Track. I love the ride. Most guys enjoy going fast in actual vehicle. In this case, an actual car as opposed to a coaster car. It's certainly not as fast as some coasters. But that doesn't matter. It has a certain set-up and showmanship about it that makes it re-ridable for me. Classic elements of Dark Rides are added to the experience that make it something truly unique from any theme park attraction I've ever been to.

• Illuminated

I'm one of the lucky ones and have never experienced motion sickness of any kind and I went on Mission: Space three times in a row at one point. Jedi is right though I didn't even know that I was just spinning the whole time, I didn't know what to think till I came on here and found it all out. I've always wondered however what that strange smell is just as you get off the ride.
    "I never miss the chance to have sex or appear on television."

• Vehicle rotating backward

The Spaceship Earth building has to stay but it needs to be one of the greatest rides at the park, not something dated like it is now.
    Considering that the ride is a long twisting journey through narrow corridors, how much more can they do? it's pretty amazing they got all those elements to fit in there as it is. I think the sepakers should be replaced but other than making more comfortable cars that don't creek and bump their way through the ball, what else is there?

Honey I shrunk the Audience and the imagination ride with figment were just aweful for today's day and age.
    Truth. Speaking as a SoCal park maven, the Figment ride looks like something I'd expect from Knott's Berry Farm.

(another question, what is Mission Space truly like. I get motion sickness on Star Tours so would this ride kill me? What does it do?)
    Think of a carnival Vomitron spinner with rider pods that are also motion simulators at the same as they're spinning, with loud bass in your eardrum. There you are.

Now, the world showcase was still as good as it ever was. I love the Norway ride and section, but the Mexico ride needs something different to it. I also think it was a mistake to put the only two rides in that section of the park right next to each other.
    What it needs is a bigger Italy and a bigger Japan (how about a ride?). The ones in the corners are understandably smaller, although the UK is deceptively large it seems.

(Which I'm still very upset about and probably should have complained to someone although it wouldn't have done any good)
    Man, what's up with everyone blaming Disney for their failures to check ahead of time any more? I wanted to ride Test Track while it was down too, but I saw it marked as rehab on another site and knew about it since I booked in DECEMBER.

Blog Entries

The only thing I was blaming disney about was the fact that I specifically mentioned to their sales person that it was the main thing I wanted to ride. The ride was down at the time that I spoke to her and planned to be down for about 3 weeks after I left. She should have known that and mentioned it. I checked the official disney websites and nothing was mentioned about the ride being refurbished. In fact, I didn't just check their site, I scoured it. I understand if a ride is just broken for the day, that happens. But a planned downtime should at the very least be noted on their website.

I didn't know about all these other little websites until just the other day. For a ride that Disney uses to hype the park as much as they do, I believe they owe it to their customers to at the very least note on their website that the ride will be down for an extended amount of time. At least then I wouldn't have been majorly disapointed when I got their to find it not working.

• Minion

The only thing I was blaming disney about was the fact that I specifically mentioned to their sales person that it was the main thing I wanted to ride. The ride was down at the time that I spoke to her and planned to be down for about 3 weeks after I left. She should have known that and mentioned it. I checked the official disney websites and nothing was mentioned about the ride being refurbished. In fact, I didn't just check their site, I scoured it. I understand if a ride is just broken for the day, that happens. But a planned downtime should at the very least be noted on their website.

I didn't know about all these other little websites until just the other day. For a ride that Disney uses to hype the park as much as they do, I believe they owe it to their customers to at the very least note on their website that the ride will be down for an extended amount of time. At least then I wouldn't have been majorly disapointed when I got their to find it not working.
    First, welcome to Micechat!

Second, regarding Test Track being closed, I found this link for you. Maybe it'll help for future trips? I used it to plan dates for our Feb. trip. It's on the lower left corner of Disney's WDW main page:
    Refurb Listing
    As far as the operators at Reservations, I'm going to guess that they are unaware of the refurb/closing schedule. Even they are aware of that schedule, I doubt they'd mention anything unless specifically asked. Guest Services might be a better source of rehab/closing schedules. Personally, I use the Disney WDW website as well as Mouseplanet.com to find that stuff out. Hopefully your next trip will be better as far as getting on the rides you want!

As far as M:S goes, I've only ridden it once so far and LOVED IT! Did feel a bit disoriented when the ride first started, but then, after it was up to full speed, and the G's kicked in, everything was fine. The worst part of the ride was listening to all the stupid warnings before getting on.

Blog Entries

Thanks, I wish I had found that link before planning the trip. We still had a wonderful time and I hope to make our trip to disney at the very least a once every two year thing. Later on this year we're hoping to make it back down to see how much Universal has changed since I last visited it about the same time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast