Blog Entries

Has anyone ever been a volunteer at one of the shows?

My trip to MGM in January held a surprise for me. I finally got to experience my dream and that was to be a volunteer in one of the shows. I was picked to be the captain at the water effects show on the Backlot Studio Tour. This proved to be one of the hi-lights of my trip and I was smiling the whole way through. My only disapointment was that there wasn't any way for me to get to see the video they made of it. I would have paid money to be able to get a copy of it just to have. Oh well, it was still great fun. Here's a few pics.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Re: Has anyone ever been a volunteer at one of the shows?

My last trip my freind Lewis was picked for this very same show. He hit the ground alot, though.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I've done that twice. Once my dad and I were on the boat as the guys polishing the rails, the time before that I got to be the gu in the engine room on the phone. It's a whole lot of fun!

• Official MC Thread Killer

I've done it before with my sister and friend. It's a lot of fun! Really, it is; and it's especially refreshing on a hot summer day. My sister has also made it to the hot seat on Millioaire, if that counts for anything... boy was that weird watching! haha
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was in Superstar Television back in 1993 (the Cheers scene), and I was picked to be the female "screamer" in the Indy stunt show in 1994. My ear-piercing, wake the dead scream immediately had the MC saying, "Who was that? Get her up here!" LOLOL!!!

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

My two girls got to be Mrs. Potts and Chip during "Storytime with Belle". The cool thing was that my youngest was only 1.5 at the time and they passed her by after slecting my oldest (who was only 3.5). But they realized the two girls were sisters and let them both come up. They held hands the whole time and were just in awe that they were up there with Belle. Afterwards a CM told us they had never seen a child that young get selected before. All the CMs involved with the show were very cool about it and we really appreciated their extra attention.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• On the Highway in the Sky

My wife and I got to do the Monster Sound Show twice back in 1990. That was a hoot! Nothing since though (although my kids always want me to jump up and volunteer at Indiana Jones).......

• Minion

My wife (at the time girlfriend) volunteered me to do some sound effects for an animation thing back in 1994 (I think). I remember the stage had a drum set, a synth keyboard and a bunch of other noise making props. There were red lights on each instrument/prop that gave people the cue to do their sound at the right time. I did shoes running across a floor along with a few lines of dialog. I think the scene we did was from 101 Dalmations where Horace and Jasper chase the puppies around.

Anyway, they recorded what we all did and played it back for us. The kid on the drums didn't do his cues and just went ballistic the whole time basically spoiling the whole thing. Other than that, it was pretty cool.

Anyone remember anything like this? I don't even remember what Park it was in. MGM maybe? I remember doing it, I just don't remember where it was.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I've had my five minutes of fame twice at WDW.

Once when I was around 12 or 13 for Superstar Television, I was one of the commentaries for the David Letterman Show.

The other I have pictures of because it was the coolest thing EVER. I was in one of the shows in front of Cindy's Castle, I don't remember the name of it (Can someone enlighten me?), it was during the 25th Anniversary with the Pepto cake for a castle. LOl Basically they pulled a bunch of families and they had to hold a sign for the year they first came to WDW. However, it wasn't very accurate because they just handed you a year. I got 1995 but I asked for 79' with no luck. Then when they called your name you walked through this arch (see photos) and held up your sign. I have to say it was probably the coolest thing I've ever done there. LOL

Here are my pictures...I'm the one holding the sign over my head while my friend took the photos. LOL

August 1997

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    LOl Basically they pulled a bunch of families and they had to hold a sign for the year they first came to WDW. However, it wasn't very accurate because they just handed you a year. I got 1995 but I asked for 79' with no luck.
    That's right!! My family did that...we still have the photo in our loving room...
    ...god we look so young in that photo...was it really that long ago?

• I was deleted.

The Magical Moment I've been a part of was at Disneyland when I got to be in The Parade of the Stars and dance with Eeyore.

But I know jimmybop and someone he worked with did the Watertanks too. Although since there were only the two of them, they didn't have anyone to caputre the moment by a photograph.

I'm so glad you had fun at the Backlot! I'm sure Stimpy will be excited to read this and hear the news too.

In Feb. this year DH and I got to be in Indy. It was my first time ever. It was Dh 4th time. It was great because kids were in Chicago with the grandparents. I ususally had to stay and watch them while Dad got to have fun. It's really a different view being on stage and seeing how far the stunts and punches are from what they look like in the audience. It was great only no photos and it was the biggest audience I ever played to.

I knew someone who worked at the Backlot Tour and when he saw myself and friends, we were instantly volunteered. We got to be captain and deck crew (myself). It was so much fun, I was laughing the entire time. Plus, he got his manager to be extra mean to us.

I've also participated in the Hoedown in Frontierland, while NOT working. It was fun!
    WDWCP - Spring 2006 - Character Performer
    College Program Alumni - Spring Adv 2005
    Living Seas and Soarin' Greeter

My trip in December they asked my two sisters if they wanted to be volunteers for the Backlot Tour. My youngest sister (who hadn't been to WDW since it was just the MK) didn't want to, since she didn't know what was involved, so I did it with the other sister. We were the deck crew, and it was a lot of fun. At one point, I think we both almost jumped into each others' arms, simultaneously - which WOULD have resulted in both of us hitting the deck.

I've also been in the hot seat at Millionaire 3 times at WDW. The last two times I got the same question at 32 or 64K - AND I didn't remember the answer, so had to use 2 lifelines the second time! Fortunately, I did guess right, going against my 'strangers' guess between the two that were left.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    My wife (at the time girlfriend) volunteered me to do some sound effects for an animation thing back in 1994 (I think). I remember the stage had a drum set, a synth keyboard and a bunch of other noise making props. There were red lights on each instrument/prop that gave people the cue to do their sound at the right time. I did shoes running across a floor along with a few lines of dialog. I think the scene we did was from 101 Dalmations where Horace and Jasper chase the puppies around.

Anyway, they recorded what we all did and played it back for us. The kid on the drums didn't do his cues and just went ballistic the whole time basically spoiling the whole thing. Other than that, it was pretty cool.

Anyone remember anything like this? I don't even remember what Park it was in. MGM maybe? I remember doing it, I just don't remember where it was.
    I think this was the show I got to be in! It was pretty cool...

Monster Sound Show/ABC Sound Studio

Like Superstar Television, this show was also sponsored by Sony. The holding area featured a video hosted by David Letterman.
    Once guests entered the 270-seat theater, the emcee selected members of the audience to be "Foley" sound artists. A Chevy Chase/Martin Short film with lots of sound effects was then shown. The film was then replayed again with the audience members creating the sound effects. The movie was then shown a final time with the newly-created film soundtrack.
    After the show, guests could visit SoundWorks to create their own sound effects. The Eerie Encounters section allowed visitors to recreate sounds from Forbidden Planet. Guests could dub in the voice of Roger Rabbit at Movie Mimics and encounter realistic sounds at Soundsations.
    The show changed format in 1997 and became ABC Sound Studio. It featured Disney's One Saturday Morning lineup. Seven guests were chosen to create sound effects for 101 Dalmatians: The Series. The show later changed to Sounds Dangerous starring Drew Carey in 1999-2000.

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id69.htm