• Bending Unit

Recent WDW moments that exceeded expectations?

Hi all,

We're off to WDW in September! I'm currently planning our trip and was wondering...

Have any of you guys got fond memories of recent WDW moments where you went 'wow!', 'we have to go there again!', or 'I have to tell everybody about that!'.

Thanks!

PS. Here's one of mine: Mickey waffles (at the Royal Plaza hotel breakfast buffet). Simple, but I'd never seen them before.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Recent WDW moments that exceeded expectations?

Well my magical moment was getting home from WDW in 5th grade humming "Theres a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" and deciding I was going back. I have yet to stop going back.

• Former Epcot CM

Watching Wishes on the last night of my holiday last October. It certainly went out with a bang.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• The one, the only...

Seeing Wishes for the first time was memorable for me.

I think that seeing the Osborn Family lights was a magic moment for me this last year.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez
    PS. Here's one of mine: Mickey waffles (at the Royal Plaza hotel breakfast buffet). Simple, but I'd never seen them before.
    They have Pooh characters (including Piglet!) on the waffles at the Crystal Palace. Just an idea for your next visit.

Good thread idea. Exceeded expectations? Hmm.. well, since I knew a lot of people when I was there last it's hard to find a guest-specific situation. One was on Jabberwocky's last day at the MK (literally going to the airport in hours) and wanted to ride Big Thunder one last time. He had a MK attraction re-entry pass and asked if he could use if for multiple guests since it was his last day. The FP CM said no and since he probably sensed he was a leaving CP he traded with him for a rider switch pass. That was really nice.

Another time was during the first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party that I went to. I love meeting and playing with characters and so as we went to Big Thunder was saw Bre'r Bear there, said a quick hello and went on the attraction. After Bre'r Bear played around with me outside of Big Thunder and in the Splash Mountain playground area for 25 minutes. A few other guests came up and he played with them too but he kept coming back to me. He got to go into the playground with him and I tried to get him into it too, but of course due to his size he couldn't always. He got me to dance and I told the kids who met him who he really was. There was also a young girl who was with her mother waiting for their party to get off of Splash who kept telling him to go back to playing with me when other guests came up or he went to other guests. It was funny and super cute. Then the parade started and we both went our separate ways. So I guess that is one of my best WDW "exceeded expectations" moments.

• Minion

There are so many moments. I'll try and keep these short...

The first time I entered WDW grounds. I had a sense that WDW is a special place. Difficult to explain and can't say I've ever felt that anywhere else except for Disneyland. The bait is there in front of me...

The first time I saw Illuminations: RoE. That was when I realized there was so much more to Disney than just the Parks and Disney wasn't just "a bunch of stupid kid stuff". ...and the hook is set.

The following rides exceeded expectations(in no particular order): Soarin', Mission: Space, Expedition Everest, Horizons (man, I miss that ride!), Space Mountain.

On our 2002 trip, a CM, without being asked, went out of her way to help us find a better spot to watch a parade at MK. That was really cool and made us feel very special.

Character breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Princess lunch at the Castle. Awesome food and tons of fun!

The architecture at the Parks and resorts. Stop somewhere and take a look around. The attention to detail is just astonishing...the backside of E:E notwithstanding!

• Bending Unit

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Well my magical moment was getting home from WDW in 5th grade humming "Theres a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" and deciding I was going back. I have yet to stop going back.
    Hey, that reminds me: is CoP still open? Will it still be open by late September? I'd love to catch that ride before it retires completely, if it hasn't done so already or in case it ever does! I vaguely remember riding it once, but a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    After Bre'r Bear played around with me outside of Big Thunder and in the Splash Mountain playground area for 25 minutes. A few other guests came up and he played with them too but he kept coming back to me.
    Sure beats the pushing and shoving we've endured in Paris! It's usually the little things that make you go wow. Another, for me, was the moment the ToT lift moved forwards -- totally unexpected. And then at the end it turns.

Speedway and JiminyCricketFan: Wishes has been duly noted.

Pacha and BigPigletFan: So... we were debating to have a character breakfast in the Crystal Palace or at the Royal Table. We are finalising dates and about to book, so any tips would be appreciated! Do you guys rate Crystal Palace over the Royal Table?

I've just remembered another moment: the first time we could see (as children) Epcot from the bus.

Riding the front of the monorail is always a good one too. I also love Buzz for its re-rideability. In the past we got a fastpass and queued up so we could ride Buzz twice in succession.