Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Arrow Quick Question Regarding Spaceship Earth

Nothing major here. Just something I've always wanted to know.

For what reason did they add the "Please remain seated...your vehicle is turning for your return trip..." announcment at the apex of the ride? Anyone know the real reason? Speculaton states that someone freaked out that their car was turning around and injured themselves, but I can't imagine that this was somethin that happened that often to warrant such an albatross of a warning.

It totally ruins the fantasy of the ride and takes away form the dramatic scene that, scriptwise, was meant to be viewed during a narrarator's dramatic pause and during dramatic background music. I mean, this is like having an announcment in a movie theater warning you to "please remain seated, the dinosaur attacking the main character is part of a plot device...".

So anyone know the real deal? Thanks.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Quick Question Regarding Spaceship Earth

I've looked this up before and after reading talk from CMs that work at SSE, this is what happened:

On an alarmingly regular basis, people would feel the cars turning around and up in the planetarium scene and climb out of them to the floor below. Reasons for doing this ranged from "it scared me" to "I didn't know this ride was going to be a roller coaster at the end." So, eventually they installed a switch at the controls with the audio spiel playing up there.

Months later, the problem didn't go away because people were still getting out of their cars and causing problems. Management thought that CMs were turning the spiel off in order to give the full effect of the show and took away the switch to turn it off, making sure the spiel loops on to infinity.

Except people STILL kept getting out of their cars even with the warning on repeat. Finally someone did a little math and realized that 95%+ of the people getting out of their cars do not speak English. That was when the TV screens were added to the lift tunnel with a graphic of the CGI cars spinning around under the stars.

The TV screens have really solved this problem once and for all and the spiel at the top is no longer needed, but management won't turn it off and CMs don't have the ability to.

Damn Foreigners

• Solar Flare Foamer

I had a feeling that language barriers had something to do with it. Thanks.

One has to wonder what kind of chicken you have to be to think that that a slothy 90% turn qualifies as "roller coaster-ish". Even if it does startle you at first, odds are if you have the time to get out of the ride, it isn't going as fast as you think. But I digress. I never understand why anyone does the things that they do.

• Where Schemes Come True!

What's funny is that I didn't really notice it was turning. It wasn't startling or jarring..it just kind of spun around slowly...when you realize that it's easier on people to go down a hill backwards (with all the pressure on your back) then forwards (and feel like you're going to fall out) it only makes sense...I guess that I'm in the minority.

-dB
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• Solar Flare Foamer

I fairly certain that you would fall out of the ride if it went down foward!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

People, foreign or not, are just STUPID to get out of a moving ride vehicle going downhill backwards. Where do they think they're going to go?

• Where Schemes Come True!

That's no worse than the foreigners I had standing behind myself and my wife on IASW who were so close to us that we felt fairly certain we could feel the change in their front pockets..
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    On an alarmingly regular basis, people would feel the cars turning around and up in the planetarium scene and climb out of them to the floor below.
    Well its a darn good thing they had a floor below or people'd have taken a nice fall.
    I never get why people get so scared of SSE. Maybe because I don't get claustrophobic in it...

Blog Entries

It's never even crossed my mind to be scared on that ride. I guess some people expect a thrill everytime your back is turned.

• Minion

Thing I don't understand is that you have to wait for the door to open before getting in the vehicle. Wouldn't it make sense to wait for the door to open again before getting out?

• Vehicle rotating backward

For some reason when the cars reach the top and begin turning around, people realize that there's nowhere else for them to go and begin thinking that there's high speeds and huge drops coming up. Pay no attention that the vehicle has no restraints at all. That would be thinking rationally.

• Solar Flare Foamer

It certainly is interesting to see people who either don't pay attention to the visial saftey ques, or people who just simply don't understand that those where saftey warnings due to language barriers on some attractions.

I once rode Back to the Future behind a European dude who didn't seem to understand the part about not taking pictures during the ride. This was back when Video Camera's where still the size of a hard drive and I kept wondering if it was going to slip out of his hand and smack me in the head.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    Thing I don't understand is that you have to wait for the door to open before getting in the vehicle. Wouldn't it make sense to wait for the door to open again before getting out?
    In a state of panic people don't think like that. They just want out!

Thanks for the story MickeyMania. It makes me want to jump out of the car now myself. Just to go on a little adventure. Too bad it won't happen now. I have no excuses to do so.

• Omnimover Groover

Quote Originally Posted by DiRTyBuNNy
    That's no worse than the foreigners I had standing behind myself and my wife on IASW who were so close to us that we felt fairly certain we could feel the change in their front pockets..
    Ewwww - sorry you had to go thru that, man.
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast