• Banned User

Post 3-29-06 WDW Update With Photos

Greetings MiceChatters! Coming to you live from the place Where Magic Lives is... ME! Here is this week's WDW update. And as always, there's a link at the bottom of this post for photos.

General WDW Updates

Western Way
    Well, we now will have Western Way. Western Way is the new rear entrance to Walt Disney World from the new Western Beltway expressway. It opens April 4th to connect to Buena Vista Drive next to the Coronado Springs Resort. The four-lane, divided boulevard will give Disney a western entrance for the first time, allowing tourists coming in via Interstate 75 to enter Central Florida on Florida's Turnpike and the Western Beltway (State Road 429), then enter Disney without ever entering Orlando or driving on Interstate 4.

Roy Disney
    Roy Disney is staying at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa this week. Various people have reported meeting him, and I walked right past him in Epcot tonight. (No, I didn't see him, otherwise I would have stopped him. I found out after the fact, and he was in the UK IllumiNations Private Viewing Area.)

Land For Sale
    Disney has decided to sell certain areas of land that WDW no longer wants or needs. One area has been sold near Disney's Animal Kingdom, and another area near Animal Kingdom Lodge is up for sale. Another area North of the Magic Kingdom was sold. For the full story from the Orlando Sentinel, click here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ostemailedlink.

Magic Kingdom Park Updates

Pirates of the Caribbean
    I got a glimpse of the rehab while I was at Magic Kingdom this week. Looks like a normal cleaing to me. I did find out that the parrot is gone from the entrance, and he will not be coming back. Instead he will be replaced by a talking skull and crossbones.
    Main Street U.S.A.
    The buildings on Main Street need a major rehab. Paint is coming off, wood is rotting, and the cement is cracking and breaking. I know they already started on a major replacement for the cement, but it really needs to get done more quickly. And I can see the back of the newer Emporium building from inside the park... it looks like a warehouse. Why have I never noticed this building before?

Adventureland
    The camel near the Magic Carpets of Aladdin isn't moving its head to spit on nearby guests as they walk through Adventureland. He's spitting in the same place. And some hippos on the Jungle Cruise aren't working at all.

Frontierland
    The Hopping Brer Rabbit still doesn't work on Splash Mountain. The jumping leapfrog fountains in the Laughing Place aren't working on Splash Mountain. Half of the other water effects aren't working in the Laughing Place on Splash Mountain. Splash Mountain needs help. The settler's cabin on Tom Sawyer Island is no longer burning.

The Haunted Mansion
    The interior graveyard scene is still not in sync. (the singing busts aren't in sync with the opera singers, etc.)

Tomorrowland
    The lighting effect above Stitch's Great Escape is still not operational. The TTA still calls the Prison the Convention Center. And the Timekeeper has been turned over to WDI.

Epcot Updates

Fountain of Nations
    The Fountain is being repaired. Many nozzles have been out for a long time, and they are finally being fixed!!

Norway
    The Children's Viking Play Area is being refurbished.

Reflections of Earth
    The torches are now being lit a full 15 minutes before showtime. Previously it had been 2.5 minutes before showtime. I just took some photos.

Disney-MGM Studios Updates

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    The Evil Tower U R Doomed is still missing from the box.

Great Movie Ride
    In the line queue, Narnia costumes have replaced the holographic chess board from Star Wars.

Star Wars Weekends
    A Star Wars Weekends Stage has been setup outside Star Tours. Coming every Fri, Sat, and Sun from May 19th through June 11th.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Park Updates

Expedition: EVEREST
    A new tower of TVs and camping gear is now at the entrance to the park, a display for the upcoming Discovery Networks Everest Series. The ride itself still does not have steam at the station, it has no fog inside the mountain, it is still fairly light inside the mountain going backwards, and a roar of the yeti was added to the end of the ride, making it a much more complete journey. Once the problems are fixed, it should be much better. The new lighting at night is pretty impressive, and I'll have some photos tomorrow.

Asia's New Eatery
    The bus in Asia has been moved between the Restrooms and the Everest FastPass Distribution area. The new restaurant will open in the old location of the bus, taking over the nearby gazebo and the seating area for the McDonald's Fries.

Tree of Life
    The Tree is having its lighting fixed up to restore it to its original glory. The tree in more recent years has had more generic lighting at night, and now it's getting more color.

Kilimanjaro Safaris
    The geysers are now almost all operational at Kilimanjaro Safaris, and many enhancements are planned in the future.

Downtown Disney Updates

World of Disney
    Well, if you've been reading up, you know that we have a brand new Princess Room as well as a Pirates Room at the World of Disney. They are very cute, and each feature a limited animatronic as the center of each room. Go check them out if you're down here. They're both pretty cool.

Pleasure Island
    Major Construction should start in April. I'll keep you informed.

Photos

For all photos, please click here:

http://ucf.facebook.com/album.php?ai...ee5&id=5121309

Anyway, that's my WDW update for this week.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Disney-MGM Studios Updates

Great Movie Ride
    In the line queue, Narnia costumes have replaced the holographic chess board from Star Wars.

Star Wars Weekends
    A Star Wars Weekends Stage has been setup outside Star Tours. Coming every Fri, Sat, and Sun from May 19th through June 11th.
    Wait.. the letters are *gasp!* gone? WHY?!?

And Disney replaced Star Wars with Narnia at GMR right before another Star Wars Weekends? Weird. Stupid weekends. Glad I'm not there to work this one after Super Soap..

Thanks for the updates Bill!!!

• Banned User

Re: 3-29-06 WDW Update With Photos

Wow.. nice images... makes me wish I was there right now.. (Is it friday yet?)

• Vehicle rotating backward

Land For Sale
    Disney has decided to sell certain areas of land that WDW no longer wants or needs. One area has been sold near Disney's Animal Kingdom, and another area near Animal Kingdom Lodge is up for sale. Another area North of the Magic Kingdom was sold.
    Uhmm, for those who have paid attention to WDW business far longer than I have, is this as scary as it sounds? I wouldn't think they're in such need of cash to do that.

The settler's cabin on Tom Sawyer Island is no longer burning.
    Sounds like it's joining the DL cabin. It was off for me, too, and I honestly thought it had been that way for a long time. What with all the talk on the train spiel about the friendly Indian tribe, I figured they made the same PC changes and made the cabin an abandoned house that just happens to have holes in it.

The TTA still calls the Prison the Convention Center.
    I can understand their reluctance to change it. By what I've read in discussions and heard people say amongst themselves, mroe people know (knew?) that building as the "Alien building" or "the Stitch ride building" and not as a convention center or jail or anything like that. So the spiel just goes over as many heads now as it did before and life goes on.

And "You are now travelling over a prison" doesn't sound as magical, does it?

The new lighting at night is pretty impressive, and I'll have some photos tomorrow.
    I've seen it already, and let me just say now that the little rotating Photoshop contest between myself and Mike and Taggart isn't far off from what happened. Would you like a heaping slice of Mountain Cake with some extra frosting? There's plenty to go around!

Kilimanjaro Safaris
    The geysers are now almost all operational at Kilimanjaro Safaris, and many enhancements are planned in the future.
    Are the bulldozers still around?

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for update it rocked

• Banned User

Uhmm, for those who have paid attention to WDW business far longer than I have, is this as scary as it sounds? I wouldn't think they're in such need of cash to do that.
    I don't think it's a need for cash but the price for land in the orlando area has skyrocketted especially land near disney so they are selling some of the land that they feel they won't be needing. IF you aren't building more parks or more resorts, you don't need the land. what was sold was parcels at the edge of the property. and it was only a few hundred acres. Disney property encompasses 26,000 acres. so if you aren't planning on development and the price is right, you sell the land.

Thanks for the update, Bill ... I'll be posting some of my own over the next week or so.

• Former Epcot CM

Thanks Bill.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• See you there!

Very good update, nice photos, thanks!

CU@DL

Andy

• Where Schemes Come True!

Great Update..makes me think of my trip that I just got back from..

-dB
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

Thank you, Bill!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I did find out that the parrot is gone from the entrance, and he will not be coming back. Instead he will be replaced by a talking skull and crossbones.
    Peg Leg Pete isn't returning?!?!?! Oh not cool.

And I can see the back of the newer Emporium building from inside the park... it looks like a warehouse.
    Well warehouses do look like warehouses in Disney...where did you glimpse it from?

Norway
    The Children's Viking Play Area is being refurbished.
    Phew...I was hoping the lawyers didn't get to it.

Lame.

Great Movie Ride
    Lame.

Star Wars Weekends
    Well maybe it'll become a permanant thing in a more permanant place.

it should be much better.
    And it's damn good enough as it is too!

Asia's New Eatery
    The bus in Asia has been moved between the Restrooms and the Everest FastPass Distribution area. The new restaurant will open in the old location of the bus, taking over the nearby gazebo and the seating area for the McDonald's Fries.
    Thanks for that info! I was wondering where it was going to go.

Kilimanjaro Safaris
    How about the jeep?

• Banned User

To answer the two Kilimanjaro Questions... yes, the CAT is gone. And the Jeep is still not operational, though that element may be permanently removed.

• Banned User

Everest at night photos are now up.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Not seeing them, Bill. Maybe I'm just dumb.