Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I'm taking my first trip to WDW in May, had some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    One BIG question for you: Where are you staying?
    One of the Disney's All Star Resorts

• Hello there

Blog Entries

One of my favorite resturaunts in MGM is the Brown Derby. The Cinderella Royal Dining is A++ also- just a good time.
    Also- in Fantasyland- the serve the best icecream sundae's, Not sure of the name of the place. But always a must when I go.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Former Epcot CM

Okay, well I suggest you take it easy. Spend a lot of time reading www.allearsnet.com and www.mouseplanet.com, they both have many helpful hints on how to utilise the theme parks to their full potential.

Plan out your night-time entertainment; Wishes is a beautiful end to the day, IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth is possibly the most awesome fireworks display ever produced by Disney and Fantasmic! is a good show in its own right, you may want to watch it for comparisons to Disneyland its big stadium seating. But of course I would prioritise the first two over F!, cos you have probably seen the best version already.

I would suggest the best way to save time and to savour what is best about WDW is to prioritise original attractions over DL clones - I know you may have an urge to try out say, the Haunted Mansion, maybe for nostalgia or purely because it is in a different facade, but the Magic Kingdom has more delights to offer. I would suggest experiencing Tomorrowland in great deal, as it may be completely different in a few years, and I think it would be interesting to try out the original Space Mountain - in it's 1974 format .

What am I am mainly referring to are things like Soarin', and DINOSAUR - either exact clones or simply re-themed of Disneyland classics. Brilliant attractions, but why do them again?

I would definitely spend a lot of my time in World Showcase. Possibly the most themed, detailed, intricate, massive piece of classic Imagineering in any Disney property, there is still nothing like it on the planet after 24 years. On my first few trips to WDW, I just walked through the pavilions, occasionaly checking out the shops - it wasn't until a couple years ago I truly saw the wealth of things to do there. Walking through Morocco, you can actually get lost! The dining is the best in WDW, and I could recommend a few sites to watch IllumiNations from, especially for honeymooners.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess
    One of my favorite resturaunts in MGM is the Brown Derby. The Cinderella Royal Dining is A++ also- just a good time.
    Also- in Fantasyland- the serve the best icecream sundae's, Not sure of the name of the place. But always a must when I go.
    The Enchanted Grove. Scrummy!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    You can do quite a bit in a week. But there's so much stuff to do beyond the theme parks, it's impossible to do it all.
    But there is little outside the parks that is important as what is inside the parks. They should be the focus.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis
    One of the Disney's All Star Resorts
    Excellent! Definitely check into the Disney Dining Plan.

Like others have said, I also suggest taking a slow pace there. You'll have a lot more fun and will get a chance to appreciate the details you'd otherwise miss if you rushed from attraction to attraction. I especially like to stop every so often and admire the fantastic architecture and theming in all the Parks. Especially Epcot.

Have a great time there!

I just got paid today, so I plan on adding that dining package to my week, I've also booked a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table.
    "You weren't kidding about it fillin' up fast!"
    Janell is going to be physked! (she loves Cinderella, and doesn't know that the restaurant exsists)
    As for the Wedding Ears, we've seen them around and are planning on pickin' up a pair, but where should I look for em'? Emporium on Main St.? What could I look forward too while having them on?
    (Kinda like the birthday sticker?) 'No worries' (We'll get them no matter what)
    I didn't even think about Memorial Day! Oh well... How will the week days be leading up to it?
    I don't plan on doing alot outside the parks. (Parks are our main focus) and we will be hittin' all of our old favorites still. (I know alot of them will be copies, but I don't care, It's something formiliar all the way across the country to remind me of home)
    Except "Soarin'" I'm not terriably excited to see that one. It's cool yes, but it just doesn't compair to how (Big Thunder for example) has changed from DL to WDW.
    I am really excited to see how Disney World does things. I'm a large mansion fan, so to see it in a new setting is really exciting. We aren't even focusing as hard on the wedding anymore, just looking forward to an exciting week alone in florida.
    I know I'm cuttin' some cornors when it comes to money $ (Like staying in a "value resort" on my "once in a lifetime" honeymoon) But I really don't care, (there is nothing wrong with trying to save money, right?) the two of us are planning on "livin' it up!" the second we touch down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    I especially like to stop every so often and admire the fantastic architecture and theming in all the Parks. Especially Epcot.
    We are both AMAZED at how disney does rides. Can't wait to see Tokyo Disney! The Technology is {speachless} well... Amazing! and nothing makes a ride like it's theming and atmosphere. And NO ONE does it better then Disney!
    Last edited by jawnjarvis; 03-31-2006 at 11:09 AM.

What is so great about the Cinderella's Royal Table? I haven't heard much about it besides it's located on the "2nd story" of the castle.
    Is it a Character Dinning?

• Former Epcot CM

Fantastic views of Fantasyland, the grandeur of the interior, the quality of the food and service, and YOU'RE EATING INSIDE OF THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED OBJECT IN NORTH AMERICA.

BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• I was deleted.

What is so great about the Cinderella's Royal Table? I haven't heard much about it besides it's located on the "2nd story" of the castle.
    Is it a Character Dinning?
    It depends. Cinderella can be found there but not usually for dinner although she is known to make one last appearance in the lobby area. Other than that you might run into other princesses, princess, and fairygodmothers alike. No one knows for sure except for entertainment casting.

As far as what to expect with the ears... you should also be able to get buttons in City Hall or Guest Relations if you wish. But just expect a lot of "congrats," etc. from CMs and maybe some preferential seating or something. It really depends on the timing more than anything.

As far as saving money, I totally understand. There's nothing wrong with the All*Star Resort since you'll be spending many hours in the parks. Have fun you two and I can't wait to see pictures!!

On a scale of 1 -10 what would you rate our week, crowd wise?

21st Sunday - ?
    22nd Monday - ?
    23rd Tuesday - ?
    24th Wednsday - ?
    25th Thursday - ?
    (Memorial Day Weekend) 26th Friday - ?
    (Memorial Day Weekend) 27th Saturday - ?

I can't help with the crowd levels, but you might want to check out www.tourguidemike.com for help with that. He breaks down which park is best on which day and why. He also has tons of other touring tips. He has a money back guarantee, so if it doesn't work for your style, you don't loose anything.

CRT is character dining in the regular sense at breakfast and lunch. At dinner Cindy might be in the lobby and the fairy godmother and mice make an appearance but don't go to each table for the meet n' great. Remember that on the dining plan CRT is signature so you'll need to use 2 table service credits for it.

If you haven't made your other ADRs (advance dining reservations) for your table service meals you might want to make some. Waits at table service restaurants can be long without ADRs.

Personally, I'd highly recommend making an ADR for the California Grill. It is a signature restaurant and so worth it. The view alone is amazing.

• The one, the only...

All I can say is that restaurant experiences at WDW are some of the highlights of the "World." I would do more than one. I would skip lunch and do a nice dinner each night. Trust me. There are so many choices, you could have a different adventure every night. Explore the great food of Africa at Boma. Take a meal in an aquarium tank and have lunch at Coral Reef. Enjoy Hawaiian hospitality at 'Ohana's. Feast your eyes on a belly dancer while feasting at Restaurant Marrakech. Take up a beer and sing along to the German band in Germany. Have a wild west waiter entertain you with silly antics at Whispering Canyon cafe. Be made fun of because you did not eat you vegetables at [i][b]50's cafe[i][b] at Disney Studios. Do you get the idea?

In the meets section, I have posted some ideas on food and restaurants, you might want to view what is written there.

If I had one word of advise, PLAN EACH DAY of your trip. There is so much to see, you cannot fit it all in. Research what is offered and then schedule it. It is the only way to do it. On my first trip I did not plan. I ended up sitting a couple times in my room wondering what there was to do. Don't let that happen to you!

Epcot takes AT LEAST two days to do. Future world takes about 3/4 of a day and World Showcase takes more than a day to do.

Disney Studios can take more than one day. There are mostly shows here, so you can miss out on several things because you did not plan ahead to see the shows.

Don't miss the Adventure's Club in Downtown Disney. It is a blast of an evening!

If you are a Disneyland frequent flier, then do only a half day at the Magic Kingdom. I prefer nighttime at MK. Don't miss Wishes. The fireworks are great! I might do a morning at the Animal Kingdom and then evening at the Magic Kingdom.

AVOID parks that are doing Extra Magic hours that day. The crowds are much thicker. Even if you are staying at a Disney resort, it still works out to your favor to be at ANOTHER park that day.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, make sure that you take some time to enjoy the resort. So many people rush off to parks everyday, but never just explore the treasures of were you are staying.

Those are some things to consider.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

We are both AMAZED at how disney does rides. Can't wait to see Tokyo Disney! The Technology is {speachless} well... Amazing! and nothing makes a ride like it's theming and atmosphere. And NO ONE does it better then Disney!
    Actually ... the Oriental Land Company does. (As well as many of the top Vegas resorts)

But that's a dirty little secret that only Disney geeks and world-travelers know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast