Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking I'm taking my first trip to WDW in May, had some questions.

I'm getting married May 20th, and the two of us have decided to honeymoon in WDW for our first time. We are both HUGE Disney fans. We have been to DL and DCA California alot recently, but now we are ready to try our hand at WDW.

What will I need to know about vacationing in May? I know all about the POTC, Riverboat, etc closers. But what about "wait times", overall crowd expectancies, and little insiders tips? (That even includes "shortcuts" to get from one place to the other quicker) How long should I expect wait for shows, and fireworks?

Should I be worried about crowds in May? I'm staying a full week, Sunday 21st through Sunday 28th. I know that WDW is ALOT bigger than the Disneyland Resort but I would like to have the feeling that I've done everything by the end of the week, and not feel rushed getting to that point. Any suggestions?

What about money? We will definitely be stopping for drinks and churros throughout the day, and I would like to do at least one really nice restaurant that week.

3-4 meals a day (for 2) at places like "The Hungry Bear" (If you've been to Disneyland) (Burgers, fries, and med drink), Churros and Drinks randomly, then the one really nice dinner (I'm thinkin' Cinderella's Royal Table thing). What should I anticipate spending? Then I'll factor in how much I would like to spend on SWAG!
    Wait! Here is an easier way to explain this;

3- 4 meals a day (7 days)
    snacks randomly (7 days)
    1 nice dinner (1 day)
    Pleasure Island (Including Drinks) (2 nights)

I know this whole post is alot to answer but "GIMMIE ALL YA GOT!"
    </IMG></IMG></IMG>

• Minion

Re: I'm taking my first trip to WDW in May, had some questions.

One BIG question for you: Where are you staying?

First off, don't rush. You might be able to hit many of the highlights in a week, but by no stretch will you be able to see everything. Decide what you want to do, what you want to see, and plan from there.

Here's how I usually budget my food money when I go to WDW. Mind you, this is just for one person, but I always have money left over:

$10 Breakfast I'm not much of a breakfast person
    $20 Lunch
    $50 Dinner

Adds up to $80 a day. And like I said, I usually wind up having money left over, but I do try to have at least 1 "good" meal a day. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

BTW: I don't think you'll find churros in WDW.

Fantasmic seating starts 90 minutes before showtime. It's different than Disneyland in that it is presented in an ampitheater, but it's still first come, first served.

You might want to pick up "The Unofficial Guide to Disney World." It's huge, but invaluable.

Have a wonderful time. And congratulations!
    Last edited by disneybearcub; 03-30-2006 at 03:00 PM.

• Where Schemes Come True!

One tip from me because I just got back from a honeymoon at WDW is that you better make sure the hotel, the restaraunts and just about everybody knows you're on your honeymoon (wedding ears are a must) if you want anything special done for you...if not you may just end up summing up your trip as a wonderful vacation but a horrible honeymoon... that's what my wife said about our trip because if you don't they won't do a single thing for you outside of what they do for normal guests...

btw, you might want to start calling in for reservations for Cinderella now if you want to get in at a decent time..

-dB
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• Beans are Evil

I got married at Orlando County Courthouse on May 20th (14 years ago) on the first day of my WDW Vacation.

Jim

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneybearcub
    First off, don't rush. You might be able to hit many of the highlights in a week, but by no stretch will you be able to see everything. Decide what you want to do, what you want to see, and plan from there.
    You can do quite a bit in a week. But there's so much stuff to do beyond the theme parks, it's impossible to do it all.

Here's how I usually budget my food money when I go to WDW. Mind you, this is just for one person, but I always have money left over:

$10 Breakfast I'm not much of a breakfast person
    $20 Lunch
    $50 Dinner
    Breakfast is considerably more expensive if you sit down for it instead of doing quick service. Depends if you do the Character Breakfasts or not.
    Adds up to $80 a day. And like I said, I usually wind up having money left over, but I do try to have at least 1 "good" meal a day. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

BTW: I don't think you'll find churros in WDW.
    Umm, yes, yes you will find them. Frontierland in Magic Kingdom, Mexico in Epcot, my mind escapes me if they can be found in AK or MGM.

Fantasmic seating starts 90 minutes before showtime. It's different than Disneyland in that it is presented in an ampitheater, but it's still first come, first served.
    It's only an hour now. Not 90 min.

You might want to pick up "The Unofficial Guide to Disney World." It's huge, but invaluable.
    I must say, that book can be dead wrong about some details in WDW. Don't use it as your only source.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis
    What will I need to know about vacationing in May? I know all about the POTC, Riverboat, etc closers. But what about "wait times", overall crowd expectancies, and little insiders tips? (That even includes "shortcuts" to get from one place to the other quicker) How long should I expect wait for shows, and fireworks?

Should I be worried about crowds in May? I'm staying a full week, Sunday 21st through Sunday 28th. I know that WDW is ALOT bigger than the Disneyland Resort but I would like to have the feeling that I've done everything by the end of the week, and not feel rushed getting to that point. Any suggestions?
    You're going to WDW on a generally insane weekend. Memorial Day weekend. That entire week has very large crowds, and the first week in June is Gay Days which attracts tons of guests. So keep that in mind.

Now, because you're from DL, you can get lost in WDW. Here are some tips to make it easier for you.

The Castle in the Magic Kingdom is your point of ref. for the entire park. You can almost always find the castle. Don't look for the Matterhorn, there is none.

At Epcot, it's shaped like a figure 8.

MGM has no real organization to the park.

AK is like a big circle for most of the park, but it was designed as a firework. (being that you can't cross from Camp Minnie-Mickey to Africa without going back to the middle. It has been corrected for the other lands though.

• Inappropriate

Star Wars Weekends. You'll be there for Star Wars Weekends. ANd it's great!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• I was deleted.

One piece of advice, if you don't want to be rushed you can avoid some "clone" attrations like Bug's Life, Star Tours, etc. Try to get FPs for the big things such as Splash if it's warm out.

Oh and good luck finding a churro. There's a cart out in front of the hat at Studios and a cart in Frontierland. But they aren't as good as at Disneyland. I'd say save your money, buy some candy, a pretzel, a DOLE WHIP or something else fun. They just aren't like at Disneyland and I have NO idea why!

One more thing. Had dinner at Cindy's Castle. AMAZING! Loved it! Loved it! Book it early though! I also love Ohana's if you eat outside of the parks. Prime Time, Sci-Fi, Hollywood & Dine (buffet), and Brown Derby are all great Studios options, especially if you're looking into the Fantasmic dinner package at all.

HAVE FUN! Use photopass as MUCH as you can. It's free, you can also buy a CD with high res. pics from your entire trip and since it's your honeymoon it might be a good investment. (You can only buy it at Epcot and it's $99.) They can fit a LOT of pictures on there, so don't hesitate to take "cute ones" or take the extra 10 minutes taking pictures. Each time I did, I loved it. Even if you don't buy the CD it still gives you plenty of options!

Definetly ride The Great Movie ride. It is one of the most original and ambitious rides that Disney has ever attempted (gee ya can't tell I work there can you?). Be sure to check out Illuminations over at Epcot and don't miss Spaceship Earth at Epcot either.
    Tricia Jones:When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    Brodie: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Dont expect to much from MGM's fantasmic...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Where Schemes Come True!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Dont expect to much from MGM's fantasmic...
    Quoted for truth..

-dB
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

If you plan on budgeting that much money for food, and you are staying on Disney property, I would suggest that you book a package with dining.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    If you plan on budgeting that much money for food, and you are staying on Disney property, I would suggest that you book a package with dining.
    Yeah, that's why I asked where jawnjarvis was staying. If you stay on Disney grounds, the Disney Dining plan can save you a bundle on food, as well as taking a lot of the hassle out of figuring out tips - they're included in the Plan. Doing this easily saved us $150+ on our recent trip. Depends on how much you're going to eat, how many people, cost of Dining Plan etc. Worth looking into at least.

Great minds think alike, right Barbaraann?

• Banned User

I just want to say Have a magical time, and please show us pictures. God bless you and your new wife and Have a magical time!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast