Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Floridian or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

So I am going to Disney World this summer and have to book my trip soon. I have my options saved in the Disney Vacation section of the Disney World website. The question is, which hotel would you guys advise me to stay at? I am looking for luxury and something that will impress. Both look like amazing hotels with beautiful atmospheres.

I was considering the Floridian's classy immenities as well as its proximity to the Monorail, Seven Seas, and MK. But the Animal Kingdom Lodge looks incredible and a savannah room would be awsome. But I can't make up my mind. Anyone have advice as to which one to stay at?

Also, the last and only time I have been to Disney World was back in 1990.

Re: Floridian or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Who else is in your group?

If you have kids, I was going to lean toward AKL, since it's so unique - but then the GF has the monorail going for it....

Personally, I'd go for the AKL and use the money saved on a nice bottle of wine or two. (I'm pretty sure Savanah view is still cheaper than GF, haven't specifically checked, though)

If anyone in the group is at all 'into' nature, I'd go for the AKL.

• Married and happy again!!

Well I have been to both. I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge and so does my son but my mom and daughter love the Grand Floridian. I will say for my money I have been lucky enough to have a room that faced the savannah. I will tell you watching the sun rise over the savannah is breath taking. I enjoyed that so much. The Grand Floridian does have wonderful amenities though and is well worth the stay (we where there at christmas time and it was very beautiful).
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

If you want to spend a lot of time at Magic Kingdom and Epcot, then I say you should stay at the Grand Floridian. I am staying there for 2 nights in July. The first 6 nights of my trip, I will be at Caribbean Beach, and then I am switching over to the GF. I am very excited. I absolutely love the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. There's just better access to everything at the GF. You have the monorail and the boats, and of course the buses. You have better access to more restaurants.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is only close to Animal Kingdom. You may benefit, from going on the Official Disney website and looking at the pictures. A rental car would benefit you more at ANimal Kingdom Lodge, than at the GF.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

• Former Epcot CM

Check out www.allearsnet.com for comparisons and detailed photos and reviews.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

I've done both - I LOATHE the GF.

I hearts me some AKL though, and the WL too.

I've honestly never had as bad of an experience as I had at the GF. The room was gross-dirty, check in went horribly wrong (my room was NEVER ready), and even when I asked for a manger I was told "well, none are available..." and no one would do anything.

I'll never stay there again.

Besides, all that white victorian looking stuff is cheap plastic, much like vinyl siding from Sears.

Bleh :P

AKL all the way.

ETA: I got one of the few formal apologies from Team Disney after i detailed the events of my GF experience. I worked for the mouse and the GF managers tried to get me fired saying I was lying about the experience, or that it was a conflict of interest not to support the place.

• Merry 2014!

Why not split up the nights and stay at both? I read that Barbarann did that and I am thinking about staying at two different hotels now too. Maybe stay a few nights at the AKL and then a few nights at the Floridian. I think the hotels have a luggage transfer service? Anyone know for sure?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

Yup, they have (free) luggage service. Just make sure you tip the guy who comes and takes your bags away. Got one cranky-pants once between Poly and WL when we forgot (It was 6am) and he tossed one of our bags in a corner. WL hunted it down for us and apologized profusely. WL porters rock.

• Merry 2014!

Too cool. Such a great service! Well that really puts the edge on staying in a couple of places during my fall trip. *note to self- tip the porter*
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

If you fly in Fantasmico, to Orlando Airport, the mouse will get your bag off the plane, stick you in a bus (with Disney stuff playing on TV) drop you off at your resort, and then put your bags in you rroom within a few hours - for free.

It's called Magical Express and totally cool. Much better than paying for some Town Car or Taxi - it's free with a stay at a WDW resort.

• Merry 2014!

Cool, cool, cool! This trip will be hassle free! LOL I will have to stay on property then. Thanks for the info!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

Fall trip...?

Goto: www.mousesavers.com

If you buy a package from Disney (I assume you'll need both the hotel and park tickets) you'll get the Dining Plan free for stays during Aug-Sept.

Dining plan usually costs about 35 per adult and covers 1 full table service meal, 1 counter service meal (including desert!) and 1 snack (Mickey premium bars for example) per night of your stay.

So, if you can be in the dates for that deal, you'll be seriously in bliss.

• Merry 2014!

Aug.-Sept.? Noooo! I am planning on early November! We were going to do the dining plan too. ARg!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Well my response would be Grand Floridian...because lets look at hotel to park amenities.
    GF- Boat to MK. Monorail to MK and EPCOT. Busses everywhere else.
    AKL-Busses only. Right there that hurts it (to me at least)...everyother deluxe has a boat to somewhere, or a walkway or something special. AKL doesn't.

GF and AKL both have nice lobbies, and in general the hotels are very pretty...equally so. But the Grand Floridian had grounds to walk around outside. AKL doesn't. You have the parking lot, and the pool/playground/foodcourt/observation cove. That's it, the rest is animal area. And myself not being an animal person that didn't justify the price for me.

Though the signs on the AKL's slider telling you the balconies are being watched is a cool thing.

• out & about

The floridian is stuffy and snobby. Sure its high-class but to me it seemed stuck-up. Its nice looking but lacks personality.

AKL on the other hand was very impressive. it was unexpectedly charming, mysterious and magical. It has way more going for it in the way of depth of immerssion and personality.

My vote is for Animal Kingdom Lodge all the way.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast