Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

More WDW observations

I'm impressed. I've been down on WDW CMs for years now, but I didn't have one bad one the entire trip. Met a few wonderful ones too. It's amazing that so many CMs still care considering the way they are treated by their management and many guests.

Guests -- like society -- continue their downward spiral. The only bad thing that happened on the whole trip (and I won't go into detail here as I promised that I wouldn't broadcast this on the Internet) was when a complete stranger exiting the MK Saturday night when I was entering with a friend, decided to try and run my friend over and then uttered an ugly slur. It was decidedly unmagical. Finding security would have been a waste. With today's political climate of hatred being cool in the USA, the guy probably would have walked away with a free vacation and we would have been asked to leave. Mind you, this person had never seen us, never met us, didn't know us from anyone, but decided that my friend's 'type' (whatever that was) didn't belong at the MK because apparently FOX News told him so while he was sitting in the trailer drinking a beer watching NASCAR, waiting for his wife to get home from WalMart and ... suffice to say, people really scare me.

Is Disney moving toward cruise line type limited menus at its best restaurants? It sure seems that way. If they cut anymore, the servers may just ask "do you want the chicken or the beef?'

Six entrees is simply a joke at a high-end restaurant. Narcoosee's calls itself a seafood restaurant with four entree choices from the ocean?!

I'm starting to think the Disney Dining Plan is behind this. It's a major marketing deal for The Mouse, so with so many people on it why offer choices? Just make it simple and further dumb down the product.

Even a location like Nine Dragons, which still has a REAL MENU WITH PAGES, has had its menu cut vastly from when I was last there maybe four months ago. Not good at all.

As I mentioned on another thread, Splash Mountain was a pleasant surprise. It looks better than it has in years, although some effects will likely never be fixed. But the MK as a whole still feels very, very empty. Way too much prime real estate just sitting wasting away. I spend less and less time there on every trip.

Pirates is under rehab, but there's no sign of what's to come. Just a simple rehab sign out front, and indeed the parrott is history, its perch empty. I also have heard the attraction will NOT, contrary to some reports, open again this week. But I'm not real sure my source knows ...

EPCOT is starting to look truly wonderful with the Flower and Garden Festival on the horizon. And what can I say about Illuminations: RoE that I haven't before. I could watch that show every night and not tire of it, but I am still eagerly awaiting the new one.

Biggest downer at Epcot was the sorry state of Soarin. I took a friend on it who had never been either here or at DCA and, first I was sickened by all the graffitti carved into the metal railings and grates in the queue. So Six Flagish. But again, guests can do whatever they want.

Then, we get strapped in and ready for our flight and UGH!!!! the movie has huge dust particles on it. It looks like alien spacecraft are descending on San Francisco. AWFUL SHOW! This just shows how much Disney cares about presentation. Impressions de France, a movie filmed in 1981 that debuted a year later, looks better than a film installed a year ago. Pathetic. Needless to say. My friend wasn't overly impressed.

Roaring Fork has reopened, half of it anyway has, and looks much nicer. New sandwiches are freshly made and are found at a counter near where the old register was located. The grill also was rehabbed. Both have some very nice tilework with fish appropriately on them.

Tried to 'sneak' up to the seventh floor of the WL to check out the new concierge lobby. Well, it seems some idiot that works for the company is afraid someone might come up and steal a can of coke or a few cookies and ALL the stairwells are LOCKED from the inside. I can't imagine that's legal. If there was a fire, people could be in real trouble ... SAFETY GUYS!!! It comes before profit.

Parks were generally not crowded despite folks at WDTC saying rooms were sold out across property. I'm starting to wonder if rooms are held back, just like table are left empty at restaurants, because Disney simply doesn't have the staff to clean/care for them. I saw hundreds of empty rooms at PO (both halfs), but Disney said they were all sold out.

America's Funniest Home Videos had some huge setup for a taping in Town Square last night. Have no idea what that was about.

Epcot and DAK both looked worlds better cared for than the MK does. How Phil Holmes keeps his job truly boggles my mind.

Lawyers are at it again. In their never-ending quest to prevent litigation, which naturally is impossible even bubble-wrapping Disney guests, Disney has pumped up the lighting at ALL pool areas and jacuzzis. I first mentioned this a year ago or so and my good buddy, Bill, 'splained it away as temporary. Nope. It's not. They've added them in many places, like one horrendously bright light at the PO-FQ jacuzzi that shines right in your eyes and could blind you.

You may notice this trip report is light on talk about park attractions and that's simply because this was a quick long weekend all about relaxing and enjoying the great spring weather before our miserable summer arrives, so attractions weren't a must ... did a lot of swimming, a lot of walking, a lot of eating and drinking ... and watching fireworks and visiting with friends.

It was a great weekend, but not one spent doing a lot of rides ...

Any questions or comments, bring 'em on!

Re: More WDW observations

Forgot about the bugs ... actually roaches ... big ones on the TTA moving walkways ... causing the high school girls to scream ... you know, like girls.

But I've been seeing bugs a whole lot more on property then I ever have. Disney will deny it, but I'm quite sure they cut back on insect control just like everything else.

Mosquitos were a problem at Epcot and I don't ever remember that happenning ...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    As I mentioned on another thread, Splash Mountain was a pleasant surprise. It looks better than it has in years, although some effects will likely never be fixed.
    Strange. Bill seemed to think here that it was in bad shape.

But the MK as a whole still feels very, very empty. Way too much prime real estate just sitting wasting away. I spend less and less time there on every trip.
    Agreed. The "where's the new E-ticket?" crowd need to remember that opening a D or even C-ticket in some abandoned space ought to be job 1. I don't want to walk past one closed ride, two seasonal rides, and a shuttered food location to go ride the big new Fastpass Adventure Mountain.

Forgot about the bugs ... actually roaches ... big ones on the TTA moving walkways ... causing the high school girls to scream ... you know, like girls.

But I've been seeing bugs a whole lot more on property then I ever have. Disney will deny it, but I'm quite sure they cut back on insect control just like everything else.
    !!!!!!!!
    You know I cancelled an earlier vacation plan in December because of all the talk about those things, right? Thank heavens that the whole week I was at WDW I never saw anything more offensive than a squirrel. If I saw Monster Roaches or Monster Spiders or gators outside of their home at the DAK safari, I think there'd be a bloodcurdling scream and then the lights kept on all night for the rest of the trip. But I'm a complete sissy like that.

• Banned User

Lawyers are at it again. In their never-ending quest to prevent litigation, which naturally is impossible even bubble-wrapping Disney guests, Disney has pumped up the lighting at ALL pool areas and jacuzzis. I first mentioned this a year ago or so and my good buddy, Bill, 'splained it away as temporary. Nope. It's not. They've added them in many places, like one horrendously bright light at the PO-FQ jacuzzi that shines right in your eyes and could blind you.
    Hmm... those lights are gone from the Wilderness Lodge. At least those were temp. lol. Those are the only ones I knew about if I remember correctly...

• Banned User

the giant roaches are called palmetto bugs and with the dry weather we are having here, bugs are looking for food so they tend to migrate where the food sources are. and mosquitos are also a fact of life down here however i must admit there seem to be fewer of them at WDW than in my backyard !! a good bug repelent with deet should do the trick especially at night.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

FOX News told him so while he was sitting in the trailer drinking a beer watching NASCAR, waiting for his wife to get home from WalMart and ...
    Not justifying whatever they said...but it sounds like there is just as much hatred going other way (not that that description is often off down here in the south) but still...

I'm starting to think the Disney Dining Plan is behind this.
    That is probably really good speculation.

and indeed the parrott is history, its perch empty.
    Bastards.

ALL the stairwells are LOCKED from the inside.
    You are talking from inside the stairs to get out to the 7th floor? That wouldn't be illegal as long as the 7th floor people can push the door into the stair well and the doors at teh base of the stairs are all unlocked.

Parks were generally not crowded despite folks at WDTC saying rooms were sold out across property. I'm starting to wonder if rooms are held back, just like table are left empty at restaurants, because Disney simply doesn't have the staff to clean/care for them. I saw hundreds of empty rooms at PO (both halfs), but Disney said they were all sold out

I heard from friends it was packed...but if rooms were empty than I am pissed...I couldn't get one and I had to go to Paramount.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Strange. Bill seemed to think here that it was in bad shape.
    Yeah, that was a few days ago as well. I went on Splash last night, and to my surprise, many of the fountains had been fixed, Brer Rabbit was hopping, and some lights were replaced. But the Leapfrog Fountains still aren't working correctly.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Mosquitos were a problem at Epcot and I don't ever remember that happenning ...
    You know maybe I just don't notice and while I live here, I have never had a problem with bugs except for maybe a red ant or two and that was in my back yard!

The geckos, yes there are a ton of them but they are cute, I don't mind them so much.

The big cockroaches I see one maybe every 6 months, now maybe I am just not looking close enough but I have never had any memorable situation at WDW that involved a bug, unless you count It's Tough to Be a Bug at AK, which doesn't count.

While I think bugs exist everywhere, I'm sure that Disney does whatever they can to ensure that the little animals don't disturb others. With Epcot and their prized Flower and Garden Festival, I would think they would up the bug spray as to keep the bugs from eating their beautiful displays.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I heard from friends it was packed...but if rooms were empty than I am pissed...I couldn't get one and I had to go to Paramount.
    It was packed when we went on 03/26 but not unbearable, then again we can handle a lot.

With Spring Break I imagine its insane and its only going to get more hot and more crowded.

• Vehicle rotating backward

OT talk about bugs in Orlandos with the locals, if I may...

With all the talk I've read on WDWDontCallItMagicDotCom about the roaches, spiders, etc, is there a season where they tend to disappear?

Here in Vegas there's a ton of german cockroaches throughout the valley but I spray and clean and they never get past the garage. In the summertime they run up the driveway like a stampede and hit the line of poison at the door and die in the garage.

However, around November they all disappear for months and months. They should start appearing again soon, I guess. We are also supposed to have tarantulas and scorpions, too, of course, but they only appear if a developer builds on a nest of scorpions or someone builds new homes out on the edge of the desert. My built-in-1989 home sees nothing like that, and a younger co-worker who has lived here all his life only sees such things when he leaves the city and goes out into the desert.

So, are the scary bugs about as deterrable or unseen as they are here, or does the sub-tropical climate mean they're all over the place year round? I actually hate the things so much I would schedule any future WDW vacation around avoiding them if I may.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Hmm... those lights are gone from the Wilderness Lodge. At least those were temp. lol. Those are the only ones I knew about if I remember correctly...
    Well, the temp lights at DAK Lodge are still there a year (or more) later and horribly destroy the peaceful ambience.

ANd PO has added lighting as I said, and turned the wattage up in all the old light stands to "blinding.''

My very educated opinion sez this is all the work of Disney Legal unless I hear credible news to the contrary.

Not justifying whatever they said...but it sounds like there is just as much hatred going other way (not that that description is often off down here in the south) but still...
    Yes. I am VERY intolerant of the intolerant. Anyone who would hate my friend because of some preconceived idea of who/what he was, I do hate. He was a worthless redneck and my only hope is that his trailer burns to the ground with him in it.

It scares the pooh out of me how our current political climate fosters open hatred because ultimately we have a prez that cares about you only if you either share his religious beliefs, are a veggie on life-support or are a fetus.

The other night I watched a young gay couple holding hands while walking thru Fantasyland at the MK and all I could say to my friends was 'I sure hope no one bothers them. They need to realize they aren't in Anaheim. They're in Jeb Bush territory.'

You are talking from inside the stairs to get out to the 7th floor? That wouldn't be illegal as long as the 7th floor people can push the door into the stair well and the doors at teh base of the stairs are all unlocked.
    Yes. That's what I was talking about. It seems to me it could be very dangerous if firefighters had to get thru that door from that stairway. There's no good reason for those doors to be locked except to keep the DVC riff-raff out from stealing cookies and Cokes and beers!

Are u serious? Because every resort I went to (about 5 total) all had plenty of empty rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Yeah, that was a few days ago as well. I went on Splash last night, and to my surprise, many of the fountains had been fixed, Brer Rabbit was hopping, and some lights were replaced. But the Leapfrog Fountains still aren't working correctly.
    A lot more stuff was working than on my last ride, which was at least a year ago as the condition just depressed me so much. The soundtrack also seemed louder and more in synch with the AAs.

The projection of Brer Bear and Brer Fox near the start was still missing. Haven't seen it in years. Also one of the AAs that drops from the ceiling before you head up the big lift was missing ot stuck in his hole. Brer Fox also wasn't talking in the scene where he has BR tied up. But overall, the attraction looked better than I had seen it in a long time. And I got to ride three times without getting off, so I had plenty of time to look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    OT talk about bugs in Orlandos with the locals, if I may...

With all the talk I've read on WDWDontCallItMagicDotCom about the roaches, spiders, etc, is there a season where they tend to disappear?So, are the scary bugs about as deterrable or unseen as they are here, or does the sub-tropical climate mean they're all over the place year round? I actually hate the things so much I would schedule any future WDW vacation around avoiding them if I may.
    No. Bugs are a way of life in Florida. Some are bigger than British tourists.

WDW has plenty of swamp and natural areas around so bugs are a way of life ... you have to expect them.

My problem is that bug control clearly isn't what it once was. I have probably spent an average of six-eight weeks a year at WDW over the past 20 years and I can honestly say that other than in Fort Wilderness, bugs of any kind were never a problem before a few years ago. I never had a mosquito bite at a park. NEVER. EVER. I never saw a roach anywhere. NEVER. EVER. Now I have seen them overrun a boat dock at FW, all over the Peoplemover walkways and crawling on the dessert tray at the entrance to the Grand Floridian Cafe over the past few years. Oh, and I came back from WDW with skeeter bites.

So, pardon my cynicism, but since every other part of WDW has seen budget cuts in the past decade, I am pretty safe in saying pest control has as well.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

No. Bugs are a way of life in Florida. Some are bigger than British tourists.

WDW has plenty of swamp and natural areas around so bugs are a way of life ... you have to expect them.

My problem is that bug control clearly isn't what it once was. I have probably spent an average of six-eight weeks a year at WDW over the past 20 years and I can honestly say that other than in Fort Wilderness, bugs of any kind were never a problem before a few years ago. I never had a mosquito bite at a park. NEVER. EVER. I never saw a roach anywhere. NEVER. EVER. Now I have seen them overrun a boat dock at FW, all over the Peoplemover walkways and crawling on the dessert tray at the entrance to the Grand Floridian Cafe over the past few years. Oh, and I came back from WDW with skeeter bites.

So, pardon my cynicism, but since every other part of WDW has seen budget cuts in the past decade, I am pretty safe in saying pest control has as well.
    I have lived here since 1989 and while I understand your assumptions I don't agree with some of them. Bugs are a way of life anywhere, the only bugs I have ever really had a problem with are mosquitoes and red ants WITHOUT pest control coming out to my house to spray.

I personally, other than you standard gecko, have never had a problem with bugs to the extend of the infestation you are mentioning at WDW. No, I don't live my life through rose colored glasses either.

Unless we can back up the budget cut with some basis of fact or documentation I will still keep to the same opinion that I did before, that there is no way to determine that they have lowered the pest control in and around the parks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast