Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Expedition Everest: Why it sucks!

By popular demand!!

Now, first may I say that, I am a Disneyland Annual passholder for seven years and, a former WDW Employee who has attended the openings of Epcot, MGM and AK. And, when a new ride opens at any park, I am usually first in line to attend. Recent attractions I LOVE include Soarin (love Epcots set-up), Rockin Roller Coaster, Indy, Fantasmic, TOT.

Though, I must say that, WDW has hit a trifecta of simply dreadful recent attractions. First off, Stitch Encounter. What a MAJOR step down from Alien Encounter. So, what AE scared children - THEY DONT NEED TO GO ON! They have Mickey's Fair, Winnie the Pooh land, Dumbos, etc, ALL attractions most adults only tolerate for the little ones, so, why could they not tolerate to wait outside while adults have a little fun on a scary ride? Or better yet, take them on AE, make them a man! Anyway, Stich is simply a lame, boring attraction.

Over at Epcot, Mission Space. You have got to be kidding me. It makes me sick. I have NO desire to ever go on this again (while I LOVE Test Track - so original and innovative!). MS is an utter failure which will date poorly in a couple of years.

Then, there is EE at AK. ANd, I must say that, after riding this ride, I can honestly say that, THUNDER is a better ride! Better themed! More dramatic! More exhilirating. EE is a short ride with little themeing (where's the sound effects? Where the animation? Yeti is ok, BUT, nowhere close to the worlds largest AA, which can be seen at Disney Seas a creature buried deep within the superior Journey to the Center of the Earth)

EE is an utter failure when you go up the chain into the anti-climatic drop that takes you to the "end of the track", where you sit for a GOOD 10 seconds while the track switches behind you DOING NOTHING! I mean, what an incredible moment for a gargantuan Audio Animatronic sequence! All we get is a fake, non-moving bird on a sitck! Then, the ride goes bakwards, which, is now a very old concept (been there done this on Zoomerang, Circus World, back in the 70's, Deja Vu, 6 Flags, Mummy USH, I could go on).

Then, the ride goes forward for the finale which is dark and lame. SPACE MOUNTAIN, built in the 70's, MUCH better!

So, WDI, is this all you have in you? This coaster that is slightly better then the antiquated Mine Train at 6 Flags Over Georgia?

What a waste of time! A friend offer a FP after I rode the first time and I said, thanks, but no thanks.

EE - NOT worth the vacation and anyone who says it is is merely settling for mediocrity!

• Banned User

Re: Expedition Everest: Why it sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo
    Now, first may I say that, I am a Disneyland Annual passholder for seven years and, a former WDW Employee who has attended the openings of Epcot, MGM and AK. And, when a new ride opens at any park, I am usually first in line to attend. Recent attractions I LOVE include Soarin (love Epcots set-up), Rockin Roller Coaster, Indy, Fantasmic, TOT.
    WOW!!! You and I both!!! How come I never saw you there during all those grand openings!!! ..and maybe we even worked together at WDW!!
    Did you do Guest Services at the Contemporary too?

...As for the rest of your comments... I agree for the most part.

I do want to say that, I only pointed out that I am a lover of Disney, not to say I am an expert on new rides, parks, etc,. I just wanted to let the world know that, I generally LOVE when new Disney rides open. But, lately, WDI has been tossing bricks. Thanks GOD for John Lassiter to come in and shake things up. John, walk on over to Tokyo Disney Sea and SEE what great 21st century E ticket rides should be.

• Minion

Personally, I loved MS mainly because I've always wanted to be an astronaut and MS is probably the closest I'll get to "the real thing". Cool building too.

Totally agreed with Stitches Encounter. BORING! My 6 year old was bored on that one. Cool robotics and set dressing wasted on a boring concept.

I think E:E is a decent ride that has A LOT of potential. The idea is good, the giant Yeti is great. Set dressing and atmosphere around the ride are absolutely fantastic. Have to agree though on the timing they chose: How about more of the giant Yeti and less of the "bird-on-a-stick" schtick? Oh well. Be interesting to see what the future holds for this and other rides.

• white and nerdy

Bamboo,... and a lot of others on micechat.

You seem like a nice person, but you have to understand that good, bad, hate, love, and a good number of other words are what we call---

Subjective

it means : characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind, or, relating to or being experience or knowledge as conditioned by personal mental characteristics or states.

in other words, not everyone's perception of good is the same as yours. You have made it clear that you, for one, do not like EE. That's fantasmiclytastic, but in the end it is just your opinion. So, while making a thread saying what you do not like about EE is great, pretending that it's a universal truth that it sucks is a tad presumptuous.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Bamboo,... and a lot of others on micechat.

You seem like a nice person, but you have to understand that good, bad, hate, love, and a good number of other words are what we call---

Subjective

it means : characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind, or, relating to or being experience or knowledge as conditioned by personal mental characteristics or states.

in other words, not everyone's perception of good is the same as yours. You have made it clear that you, for one, do not like EE. That's fantasmiclytastic, but in the end it is just your opinion. So, while making a thread saying what you do not like about EE is great, pretending that it's a universal truth that it sucks is a tad presumptuous.
    I have to agree with you. Maybe a better subject line for this post would be "Why I hate Everest", or something like that. Good post, joshualee!

• I was deleted.

Thanks for your opinion on E:E. I have yet to ride it but do appreciate hearing everyone's opinion.

I still want to ride the Matterhorn more! I miss DL.

• white and nerdy

Matterhorn rocks my socks... literally. It was very uncomfortable.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Matterhorn rocks my socks... literally. It was very uncomfortable.
    Eh, that's why I usually only ride one side of it. But it's just my point, as much as I want to ride E:E... it doesn't even compare to how much I want to ride the Matterhorn and I missed seeing E:E open up for previews by literally two weeks.

• white and nerdy

oh, don't get me wrong bigpigletfan, I can deal with some uncomfort for the Matterhorn.

See? bruised and broken, but fun was had by all.

"So, while making a thread saying what you do not like about EE is great, pretending that it's a universal truth that it sucks is a tad presumptuous."

I ma being just as equal to those who say, I LOVE EXPEDITION EVEREST! These "loving" opinions are presumptiuos too. SO, because I learn so well from this site that, IF you LOVE something at Disney, that this will be a comment welcomed with open arms (yet still, a presumptiuous opinion to those who disagree with the love), I am taking the very same approach to this matter that, if I HATE an attraction at Disney, then, it should be as EQUALLY welcomed on this board.

So, I do ask you, please, do not dictate to those YOU personally select in how they should or should not post, as, the reflects quite presumptiuously on you.

" I still want to ride the Matterhorn more!"

Matterhorn is a better ride than EE. Matterhorn does not pretend to be this all new big thing. EE is a mild roller-coaster with next to nothing animation (que line, shmoo line. It's the ride, STUPID!)

• Minion

"So, while making a thread saying what you do not like about EE is great, pretending that it's a universal truth that it sucks is a tad presumptuous."

I ma being just as equal to those who say, I LOVE EXPEDITION EVEREST! These "loving" opinions are presumptiuos too. SO, because I learn so well from this site that, IF you LOVE something at Disney, that this will be a comment welcomed with open arms (yet still, a presumptiuous opinion to those who disagree with the love), I am taking the very same approach to this matter that, if I HATE an attraction at Disney, then, it should be as EQUALLY welcomed on this board.

So, I do ask you, please, do not dictate to those YOU personally select in how they should or should not post, as, the reflects quite presumptiuously on you.

" I still want to ride the Matterhorn more!"

Matterhorn is a better ride than EE. Matterhorn does not pretend to be this all new big thing. EE is a mild roller-coaster with next to nothing animation (que line, shmoo line. It's the ride, STUPID!)
    I totally welcome your opinion, and you, to Micechat! Just don't agree with the way your opinion was delivered in this post.

Let's look at it this way...
    Ride XYZ: Why it sucks!
    versus
    Ride XYZ: Why I didn't like it!

The first way implies fact and that everyone feels this way. The second establishes that you're sharing your opinion. Make sense? I guess it's a matter of a few important words, but those words make a huge impact on the way the post comes across.

Also, if you go back to my earlier post, I totally agreed with you on the Stich ride. I didn't enjoy it either. So that should clarify that not every negative opinion on Disney is greeted with a closed mind.

Getting back on topic, I have to disagree on the queue line comment. Theme park goers spend an awful lot of time (sometimes up to 2 hours or more) waiting to do a 4 minute ride. What separates Disney from most other theme parks is......theming! Keeping riders immersed in the whole experience from start to finish rather than just waiting in a dull line with nothing to look at is, IMO, almost as important as the ride itself.

While E:E needs some work (I do agree there), it's the total experience, from queue line to end, that, in my opinion, makes it a cool ride and a far better ride than the standard, generic, unthemed roller coaster.

Time will tell. I hope Disney management is open to tweaking this ride and making it the stellar ride that it certainly can be.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    The first way implies fact and that everyone feels this way. The second establishes that you're sharing your opinion. Make sense?
    I agree, because what you presented just says to me you were looking for a fight/debate, you really presented nothing subjective.

Over at Epcot, Mission Space. You have got to be kidding me. It makes me sick. I have NO desire to ever go on this again (while I LOVE Test Track - so original and innovative!). MS is an utter failure which will date poorly in a couple of years.
    First problem, you get sick, so it sucks. I don't get sick, I enjoy it very much. And I am your opposite, I don't really like Test Track. I don't hate it at all but it isn't one of my favorites at all. But I don't say it sucks just because I don't like it.

EE is an utter failure when you go up the chain into the anti-climatic drop that takes you to the "end of the track", where you sit for a GOOD 10 seconds while the track switches behind you DOING NOTHING!
    Well I agree it'd be interesting to go backwards while the track is switching, but of course we could only do that once before the train wrecked and the lawyers chimed in.

I mean, what an incredible moment for a gargantuan Audio Animatronic sequence! All we get is a fake, non-moving bird on a sitck! Then, the ride goes bakwards,
    Well the whole point is to save the Yeti for later, so the bid could be more realistic, fine, I'll agree on that.
    And backwards has been done plenty of times, but Everest has a damn good backwards portion. Forwards coasters have been done forever too. Under your reasoning, coasters have all been done and should never again be done.

So, WDI, is this all you have in you? This coaster that is slightly better then the antiquated Mine Train at 6 Flags Over Georgia?
    I have no problem with debates but things like that are not really debates it just makes you sound completely Anti-Everest with nothing to back it up. Wanna compare Thunder to Everest? Fine. Dahlonega to Everest? Gimme a break, a slightly more reasonable comparison would make for less of a blindly-angry post about Everest.

EE - NOT worth the vacation and anyone who says it is is merely settling for mediocrity!
    My opinion: Everest is worth the vacation (or the three thus far). Mediocrity? I recently rode Borg Assimilator (formerly Stealth). Lots of hype for that ride, that was mediocrity.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

By popular demand!!Over at Epcot, Mission Space. You have got to be kidding me. It makes me sick. I have NO desire to ever go on this again (while I LOVE Test Track - so original and innovative!). MS is an utter failure which will date poorly in a couple of years.
    I get sick. I like it. And how do you determine it is an utter failure?

EE is an utter failure when you go up the chain into the anti-climatic drop that takes you to the "end of the track", where you sit for a GOOD 10 seconds while the track switches behind you DOING NOTHING! I mean, what an incredible moment for a gargantuan Audio Animatronic sequence! All we get is a fake, non-moving bird on a sitck! Then, the ride goes bakwards, which, is now a very old concept (been there done this on Zoomerang, Circus World, back in the 70's, Deja Vu, 6 Flags, Mummy USH, I could go on).
    Again, please define utter failure? Apparently Disney wants DAK open longer because people are riding.

John, walk on over to Tokyo Disney Sea and SEE what great 21st century E ticket rides should be.
    The same Disney Sea that wasn't supposed to be expanded for at least five years?

" The first way implies fact and that everyone feels this way. The second establishes that you're sharing your opinion."

Why is my topic name, "Why it Sucks!" any different than someone saying, "Space Mountain, Why it's Great!" I have seen many topics like this on this board with no conflict in the topic name whatsoever.

My topic name is MY commentary, and, I feel that, most here on these boards are intelligent enough to decipher this, thank you very much (vs someone telling us the right and wrong way to name a topic).

Take the poster above who says, " And backwards has been done plenty of times, but Everest has a damn good backwards portion. "

YOu should just as well tell this person, PLEASE, DO NOT SAY it that way, that EE has a damn good backwards portion, as you may be offending those who hate the ride (not me. I am smart enogu hto realize this is HIS opinion, so, I will not waste my breath in telling him his posting mannerisms or off)! If you are going to critcize HOW someone posts a comment, you need to criticize eqaully or lose credibility.

"Everest is worth the vacation (or the three thus far)."

Totally disagree. I urge vacationers not to waste their time (as much as you urge them to visit). See, all is equal.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast