Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Does Disney still have the disney radio station

I'm not talking about the one on XM that plays kids music. When I was a kid, Disney used to have a small radio station (it may have even been an AM one) that played along the interstate near the park. It played all kinds of radio advertisements for the parks, rides, etc... As a kid, I would demand to listen to that station even if we weren't visiting Disney. I remember as a fact we were driving down south to palm beach one year and my dad got so excited about hearing about MGM (my incessent whining may have helped as well), that we stopped at a hotel in Kissimmee and went to MGM the next day before proceeding on to Palm Beach.

I looked for ads all over the place the last time I was down there for that station but didn't see it anywhere. I remember as a kid, I used to wish the station got broadcasted nationwide because I so wanted to hear it whenever I wanted, much like I wish I could watch the Top Seven and shows like that whenever I want.

So, do they still have that station?

• I am a Pluto lover

Re: Does Disney still have the disney radio station

I dont know about where you are, but in the bay area of California,
    its 1610 am.

Good luck!
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Huh?

Melly, I think you're thinking of Radio Disney. Kcnole is speaking of the Resort radio, a pretty short-range resort-only station.

You know, I don't think I noticed it my last few trips there, either. They used to advertise the station at the entrances to the resort. Possibly shut it down since resort TV is becoming more of a standard for getting the info out.
    -Tim

Blog Entries

I don't remember what it was called. It was basically the same thing as the resort tv, but it was advertised up and down the interstate and used as another way to advertise the resort.

I just always enjoyed listening to it when driving down the interstate near Disney and I haven't seen any ads for it anymore so I'm assuming it was nixed recently.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

I can't tell you if they still have it but you cazn find those type of low wattage radio stations at the low and high end of the AM band. Next time you go that way, search for it.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

WDW Resort Radio has been history for at least 15 years. It was available only on property and maybe a few miles off it on I-4 ... certainly not all over Central Fla unless there was some weird atmospheric condition.

How I loved driving up World Drive as a kid through a sea of pine and scrub palm forests listening to Jack 'The Voice of WDW' Wagner welcome me and my family to the Vacation Kingdom of the World, while providing operating hours, special events, hotel availability etc ... great memories.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    WDW Resort Radio has been history for at least 15 years. It was available only on property and maybe a few miles off it on I-4 ... certainly not all over Central Fla unless there was some weird atmospheric condition.

How I loved driving up World Drive as a kid through a sea of pine and scrub palm forests listening to Jack 'The Voice of WDW' Wagner welcome me and my family to the Vacation Kingdom of the World, while providing operating hours, special events, hotel availability etc ... great memories.
    The same Jack Wagner, I presume, that did much voice work at Disneyland too over the years...and was the guy who ran the "Campus Malt Shop" where Ricky Nelson used to hang out on the Ozzie and Harriet show!
    One of the great voices in the history of broadcasting, Disney, both actually.

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Blog Entries

Thanks, it's been a long time since I drove through their and listened to it, I can't believe it's been that long. But yep, that's it. I distinctly remember listening to it as we drove down the interstate, but it may have just been those sections of I-4 right by the resort at the time.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

It was available only on property and maybe a few miles off it on I-4 ... certainly not all over Central Fla unless there was some weird atmospheric condition.
    Au contraire, my friend. It was indeed available along I-4. As soon as you turned south from I-10 you could get it. They had a series of low power transmitters along the freeway, and the signal would fade in and out. But they had billboards all along the freeway, inviting you to listen to Disney radio. It was about a 30 minute loop, and featured a buy identified as "Bud" who would fill you in on the latest stuff. He would throw to "Walter Wonderful" from time to time for in depth (comic) reports on the goings on. It was all pretty cheesy, but it was still a fun thing, helping to build the anticipation of the last leg of a long drive.

I don't know if it was also broadcast south of WDW, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And no, sadly it's not on the air any more.

Blog Entries

Yep, that's it. Man do I wish they'd bring that back. Even if we weren't able to go to the park, I always felt like I got a bit of the disney experience just while driving through.

Like I said it's been a long time ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Au contraire, my friend. It was indeed available along I-4. As soon as you turned south from I-10 you could get it. They had a series of low power transmitters along the freeway, and the signal would fade in and out. But they had billboards all along the freeway, inviting you to listen to Disney radio. It was about a 30 minute loop, and featured a buy identified as "Bud" who would fill you in on the latest stuff. He would throw to "Walter Wonderful" from time to time for in depth (comic) reports on the goings on. It was all pretty cheesy, but it was still a fun thing, helping to build the anticipation of the last leg of a long drive.

I don't know if it was also broadcast south of WDW, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And no, sadly it's not on the air any more.
    Nope. What you guys are talking about is something different completely. It likely was an early 90s deal ...

WDW Resort Radio was only available on property and immediate vacinity on I-4 and it was just one continuous loop of maybe 5-10 minutes worth of Jack Wagner with current info. That's all it was.

• Banned User

That is correct. You could only hear this station after exiting I-4 and once you were on Disney property on either World Drive or EPCOT Center Drive. Signs along these roads instructed visitors to tune in, but these are long gone now since the low frequence radio broadcast is NO more. Another original WDW feature now history. Danyoung is not correct on this one.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Nope. What you guys are talking about is something different completely. It likely was an early 90s deal ... WDW Resort Radio was only available on property
    Read back through the thread. No one was talking about "WDW Resort Radio" but you. You brought up that title first. What kcnole and I are talking about is the service that I described and kcnole confirmed.

So yes, WDW Resort Radio was only available on Disney property. But this other service (I think it was simply called Disney Radio) played on I-4. It had its own set of jingles, hosts and reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Read back through the thread. No one was talking about "WDW Resort Radio" but you. You brought up that title first. What kcnole and I are talking about is the service that I described and kcnole confirmed.

So yes, WDW Resort Radio was only available on Disney property. But this other service (I think it was simply called Disney Radio) played on I-4. It had its own set of jingles, hosts and reporters.
    Please forgive my transgression, Danny.

I just got back from WDW and am floating on pixie dust as I ready for DLP.

Was just thinking about happy memories from childhood ... if you strain real hard, I'm sure you'll recall your own ... back in the 1940s ...here it is, just for you !

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    One of the great voices in the history of broadcasting, Disney, both actually.

Barry
    And he left behind a pretty amusing blooper reel, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast