Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Anyone REALLY miss Alien Encounter

oops i forgot the people mover. yes we keep the people mover. I agree that it's a relaxing few minutes.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    I never got to ride this ride.
    Alien was not a ride. It was the same theater style show we have now as Stitch's Great Fiasco. Personally I don't miss it one bit, and nor do I care for the Stitchy remake.

• Drunk On Disney

I actually think Stitch is an improvement over AE. I thought the effect was the same just more fun (I do like scary rides, I just liked Sitch evem better.)

BTW, I am glad Skippy stayed!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Blog Entries

I knew it wasn't a ride. I tend to use that word interchangebly with attractions which would probably be the better use. Mission to Mars wasn't a ride either in the real sense of the word, but I've always thought of it as one.

• Minion

Blog Entries

i miss the fact i didn't get to ride/do it and it looked great! ah well....i guess it's my fault for living on the wrong side of the country

While I never had the opportunity to experience this attraction, from a story and theming standpoint it was definetly superior. The theme matched Tomorrowland of '94, and the whole story had great continuity. It was a crowd pleaser, I remember in 2000 the line was always huge. When I was on the CP in 2005, the line got long at times, but more times than not it was a walk on. I hate the use of animation on the attraction, it makes it feel awkward and wrong. Also, I really don't like having a prison in a Utopian Tomorrowland. It's supposed to be a great big beautiful tomorrow, not a place where residents of the galaxy get brought to a detention center for jaywalking or raiding a bakery. That's just stupid.

Alien Encounter was a unique attraction, and while it may not have belonged in a family park, the same argument could have been made for Pirates of the Caribbean or the Haunted Mansion. AE would have scared my sister, but the HM did too, what's the difference? Truth be told, parents knew before hand that it was scary, hell, I don't think there was a person out there who didn't know that. If they wanted to bring their children on an attraction where they were told it would scare them, that was their perogative, but then they have no right to complain when it does.

Stitch is an abomination. It had potential, but instead it just presents a lame, toony, preschool story, in a manner that would scare anyone who honestly cared what that story was. It has no continuity with the rest of Tomorrowland, and creates a very unnecessary bottleneck on Avenue of the Planets.

AE was a much better alternative, at least it got some great PR.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

The first time i rode it I was 7 and it scared the hell out of me.
    The next time I rode it I was older and still a little freaked
    Last time I rode it was 3 years or so ago and I was finally of the right age to enjoy it beyond all reason.
    Next thing I know there's stitch there doing a half @$$ job of scaring me out of my mind (actually a non-existiant job cause it's just a sad ride more than anything).
    I miss AE!!

• Beans are Evil

I only went on it once but I liked it. It was fun and decently done.

Next time I went back to WDW, it was gone.

I havent been on the Stich ride yet.

Jim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I went on it once and it scared the living bejebus out of me (my then boyfriend laughed at me... and got a major azz-kicking as a result). Even though I never went on it again, I thought it had a great story and all.

Haven't been on Stitch yet but from what I heard I know I'm not missing much. I just want to see the AA in person. He looks amazing in the videos I've seen.

• Disney Memory Maker

I loved AE. I loved the humor and corniness of the whole show. I loved the overacting and the preshow. Don't get me wrong, I really like Stitch, but I also really liked AE.

Now do I miss it? Not so much. I didn't like it for the visuals, I liked it for the script, and being that I can listen to the show on a certain Disney internet radio station, I don't miss it that much.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Never heard of it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I've never been on Stitch, but I wasn't a big fan of AE anyway. It had nothing to do with the storyline or the quality of the effects. I simply don't get into the whole "immersive" thing where you get poked and prodded in your chair and sprayed with water to startle you and simulate various effects. It always seems fake and doesn't enhance my experience. It just irritates me.

For those of you who've been to Vegas, I don't like Borg Encounter at Star Trek: The Experience for the same reason.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    Truth be told, parents knew before hand that it was scary, hell, I don't think there was a person out there who didn't know that. If they wanted to bring their children on an attraction where they were told it would scare them, that was their perogative, but then they have no right to complain when it does.
    This was one of my problems. I'd bet many parent saw the scary warnings and thought "oh, this is Disney, where the scariest they get is Pirates or the HM. How bad could this AE thing be?" It was so much more terrifying to the little ones than HM ever was, and it really killed me to see little kids coming off the attraction sobbing with fear. That's never been the Disney way, and had no place in a Disney park.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    oops i forgot the people mover. yes we keep the people mover. I agree that it's a relaxing few minutes.
    What about the Carrosel of Progress?

As for AE? I was scared of it when I went on it a few times...as a teenager, but I still think it was better than Stitch. I would still go on AE from time to time, but Stitch I think I will avoid very often....

And my favorite quotes from AE?

"Seize the future with X-S"
    "It looks like my mother in law!" (My brother and I, when we first went on, thought someone in the audience really said this---thought it was the most hilarious thing! Still do actually. Every once in a while we still say it to each other and laugh)
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    That's never been the Disney way, and had no place in a Disney park.
    I agree and the fault lies COMPLETELY with the parents. Disney can't do anything about utter stupidity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast