Bringing a Personal ECV from home to WDW...

I would like to do this on my next trip, but this is the type of ECV that does not easily break down to fit in a trunk. I've already researched the airlines and they have no problem with loading it onto the plane so that's covered.
    My main concern is finding a rental SUV/Van that would include a ramp to drive the thing into it to get around. I wouldn't want to rely solely on Disney buses. None of the car rental websites say much about this other than offering hand controls, which I don't need.
    Does anyone else have experience with this? Any and all advice is welcome.
    THANKS!!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan
    My main concern is finding a rental SUV/Van that would include a ramp to drive the thing into it to get around. I wouldn't want to rely solely on Disney buses. None of the car rental websites say much about this other than offering hand controls, which I don't need.
    Does anyone else have experience with this? Any and all advice is welcome.
    THANKS!!
    Would you be flying and using Disney's Magical Express? If so I think I would talk to Disney. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. Many groups and individuals probably go through the same thing that you do so they should have some resources.

• Married and happy again!!

Re: Bringing a Personal ECV from home to WDW...

My wife did this 7 years ago when she had just gotten hers it was only a day old when we flew out. The airline compleatly messed it up. The bent metal parts of the frame and ruined the handle bar steering busted one of the batterys. They ended up replacing her whole ecv to the tune of just short of $6000 plus we made them pay for the rental of a ecv at all the parks. If you really want your personal ecv be sure to make sure the airline can truly deal with it not just tell you they can get it on the plane. Honestly if she where still alive and going to the parks we would never take hers down again it was worth the risk.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Wow, so sorry to hear of that fiasco. This thing is like a tank it's so strong and well built, but you're right, that's a definite consideration. Thanks again.

• Banned User

Just wondering.... How much are you being charged by the airlines to carry this ECV into their cargo bins in the planes??? Reason I wonder is... it may be cheaper and less a painin the back to just rent one at WDW for the duration of your stay... Since most airlines are now charging for most everything... (food, oversized baggage, exit and bulkhead seats...) just seem a bit of an inconvenience.

Believe it or not, at least Delta doesn't charge a cent for it. They just want you to bring the instruction manual with you in case THEY need to disassemble any part of it. OK, that alone scare me, a flight being delayed as they tinker with your $10,000 ecv which may or may not work when it gets to Orlando!

Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be easier to rent one there in Florida. It's great that they can deliver them right to you at WDW, but we wanted to do Universal and Busch on this trip too, so the transporting of it is still a problem. I'm now thinking of shipping ahead our ramp from home and having it arrive at the hotel on the first morning.

My mom has flown with her ECV twice now. Both times they have broken the control panel. They pry it off to make sure nothing is hidden under it. Also, it has numerous cracks in it. On the other hand, her friend has never had a problem.

There are taxis that can handle the ECV. We took several the last time we were there and it was really nice. You can also search the internet for handicap accessible vans, but I did not have much luck with that.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan
    I would like to do this on my next trip, but this is the type of ECV that does not easily break down to fit in a trunk. I've already researched the airlines and they have no problem with loading it onto the plane so that's covered.
    ...snip
    I'm going to WDW in December, and I talked to Ameircan Airlines and they said it would be no problem taking my scooter on the plane.

Just curious, when are you going?

I would like to hear your experience before I go.

I have heard of several people who took ecvs on commerical air, no probelm. The first time I heard of any problems was in this thread. Needless to say, I am concerned.

But I read on another Disney forum about a person whose taken his twice and no problem, and he even went one time with several other people, on the same flight with scooters and no problems at all.

The reason I want to take my personal ecv is that I have rented two times, and the scooters are well... rentals. They*ran just fine, but now that I've had my own for awhile, and I am used to it, I would rather have it.

Anybody else have any direct experience with flying with personal scooter?

Thanks,

CU@DL

Andy

He's definintely wanting to have his own chair but I'm still against it because I don't want that thing banged up and, worst of all, somehow limiting our time at the Parks because it arrives broken. THAT would make me furious.

We're going in mid-September. I think I want to do Uni and Busch first so that Disney is more of a "grand finale"