Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Everest on TV.

Four Channels, Four Shows!

Disney aims for new heights
    Everest specials to take viewers on expedition
    Hal Boedeker
    Sentinel Television Critic

April 7, 2006

Expedition Everest, which opens today at Animal Kingdom, is ready for its television close-up, and it's a doozy. The Disney attraction will be featured next week in three specials from Discovery Networks.

"This is a logical extension of a successful business collaboration," said Clark Bunting, president of Discovery Networks U.S. Production. "We've done a lot of bits and pieces over the years. This is taking it to the next level."

The initiative between the Walt Disney Co. and Discovery Networks has yielded dozens of programs over the past 20 years. The new specials are premiering under the banner "Everest: The Experience" across four channels.

"We took the project to them. They created how they wanted to tell it," said Ken Potrock, Disney's senior vice president of global alliance marketing. "If we didn't provide arresting content and access, they wouldn't do the shows. If it's purely Disney wanting to market something, they're not interested in that."

The programs are:

Expedition Everest: Journey to Sacred Lands, debuts at 8 p.m. Sunday on Travel Channel. The special follows Joe Rohde of Walt Disney Imagineering as he visits the Himalayas and researches the Disney attraction.

"Joe takes you on the journey," Bunting said. "He grabs you by the lapels."

Building a Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest, debuts at 9 p.m. Monday on Science Channel and at 8 p.m. Wednesday on Discovery Channel. The program looks at construction of the attraction's 200-foot mountain.

"Discovery wanted to tell the science behind the project," Potrock said. "They wanted access behind the scenes. They are top-secret. But in this instance, because of the requirements to tell the story, we gave access."

Corwin's Quest: Realm of the Yeti, debuts at 8 p.m. April 15 on Animal Planet. Jeff Corwin looks at wildlife in the Himalayas and hears about the Yeti, the creature known as "protector of the mountains" who is portrayed in the attraction. Discovery also partnered with Conservation International, a prominent not-for-profit.

Discovery retains full editorial control and paid for the specials, but it did screen them for Disney to check the facts, Bunting said. "These are not infomercials," he added.

The one-week scheduling of premieres was Discovery's call, Potrock said. "They saw the opportunity of the grand opening as an opportunity to put some heat around making this topical," he said.

Disney is playing up the Discovery connection with six huge television monitors at the entrance to Animal Kingdom and also at a media gathering to promote Expedition Everest.

"When the Disney machine gets cranked up, you know what they can do," Bunting said. "We have to make documentaries that people will watch. It's about moving that Nielsen needle. There are solid business underpinnings to this initiative."

The exposure will continue to pay off for Disney long after the premieres.

"These documentaries will be seen many times," Bunting said. "You'll see them as part of the normal documentary rotation through the course of the year. If you're thinking it's one-time use, it's not."

Hal Boedeker can be reached at 407-420-5756 or [email protected].

Copyright 2006, Orlando Sentinel |
    The first one was on tonight, it was very good. I mean I am not an enjoy-nature-like-to-visit-the-world kinda guy, but Joe saw some great places.
    There is alot of thought in this ride, and amazingly he explained the whole "Forbidden Mtn" aspect and it makes this ride so much more complex (you are entering the Forbidden Mtn on the way to Everest, which is forbidden, even in real life). It was a great show.

Best quote: "We could have just bought a rollercoaster, stuck some fake rocks around it and called it the 'Himilayan Adventure'-but that's not what we do,"

And of course the end of the show showed Joe laughing like a little kid riding Everest all by himself.
    Lucky *******.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Everest on TV.

There's too much on TV tonight! FOX Sunday Night, 10 Events That Unexpectantly Changed America, Gospel of Judas. My TiVos can't keep up.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I set my DVR to record the one tomorrow as it's on the same time as 24. Sorry Disney, Jack Bauer comes first!

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

omg...I amin a pickle...Watch extreme makeover of the everest special...they are both on @ 8.....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    I set my DVR to record the one tomorrow as it's on the same time as 24. Sorry Disney, Jack Bauer comes first!
    Lol, same here!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Hilsbro_Mclemington_III
    omg...I amin a pickle...Watch extreme makeover of the everest special...they are both on @ 8.....
    If you have TiVo or a DVR, set it to record one and watch the other.

I did see the one tonight is repeating a few times later tonight and tomorrow.

• I was deleted.

Its on!!!!!!!

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

i am switching back and forth....my dad complains and says we need dvr...buy he never gets it...lol

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    If you have TiVo or a DVR, set it to record one and watch the other.

I did see the one tonight is repeating a few times later tonight and tomorrow.
    I obviously watch too much TV. Two TiVo's which gives me three lines to record from (only one is hooked up to two signals).

• The Fantasyland guy

Good show on TC tonight. Enjoyed it very much.. more so then I thought I would. Good job TC.

The theming for E:E is extreemly good... in my opionion, its on of the better parts of the ride. (I loved the queue... not to be missed by anyone, screw fastpass.)

I am so glad I got to see into the mind of Joe. Just like with Tower, the theaming gets you into the mood long befoe you step foot into the train. Good job!

• Hooterville, USA

Oh the madness!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Blog Entries

I thought it was excellent. I'm still upset because in January we were given an opportunity to ride Everest for a media event but my wife said no since we'd just gotten to the park on our first day and she didn't want to give them the two hours they required.

So all I got to do was see the mountain. I watched the show last night and loved it. I dreamed last night that I was at DAK waiting in line to ride Everest. Unfortunately I woke up as the ride started. lol

• Happy Memories

A hint for those of you struggling with the confilct of trying to watch all of the shows you are interested in. Most of the time the Discovery Network stations repeat their evening line up. For example, I was not aware of last night's show on Travel Channel until after all of my regular Sunday night viewing. It reaired at 11pm (eastern), so I popped in a tape on my way to bed.

Have to make a note of the schedule for the remaining shows....

• The Fantasyland guy

Did anyone else feel that Joe was a good host for the show last night? I think he was a good TV personality. I feel that Discovery could use him on a regular basis.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Did anyone else feel that Joe was a good host for the show last night? I think he was a good TV personality. I feel that Discovery could use him on a regular basis.
    I agree! The comment I made to my wife during a commercial break was, "Now there's a guy who really, really, really loves his job!" She agreed.

His enthusiasm and love for what he does is really cool. I could see him hosting other shows - even non-Disney related ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast