Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

Mission:Space claims another

It's not currently up yet on MP or LP nor do I see it on WESH, but word is going around that yet another Guest has died on Mission:SPACE today.

Any info?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Mission:Space claims another

http://www.wftv.com/news/8653845/detail.html

As sad as it is for the family, I also hope this goes well for Disney. last time it seemed as if everybody was going after Disney long before the results were out.

• Banned User

My sympathy to the family.

I hope the ride burns to the ground for this. I have hated it since it opened. It is an extremly poorly made attraction and the faster it gets replaced the better it will be for all of us.

• I am a Pluto lover

How sad... my sympathies and prayers to everyone concered.
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

This is a terrible accident. I thoughts and condolences go out to the family. However, nothing has shown that this is the fault of the ride (or that it isn't the fault of the ride.)

Think of the millions of people who have ridden Mission: Space and enjoyed it. People are amazed with this attraction. It blows people away. It a very advanced attraction with nothing else like it in the world. It is a very well-made and planned out attraction, in my opinion. The theming is exquisite, as is the story. The ride itself is amazing.

• The one, the only...

I am very saddened for the family, but it is important to note that the last child who died had a congenital birth defect. No one could know. I cannot blame the ride for that any more than I could blame basketball for the player who collapsed and had a similar defect.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Exactly. We must wait before we can begin to judge who was at fault. For now, it's best to keep the family of the woman in mind. How unfortunate.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Sock Puppet

That's really sad about that woman.

Overall, though, I think you're a lot safter riding Mission: Space than you are riding some of the rollar-coasters at Six Flags, say.

• Disney Memory Maker

I feel very bad for the woman and her family.

That said, I hold the same stance I did last time this happened (which by the way, I was right about). More than likely, this was due to a preexisting condition and is not Disney's fault.

And when the media releases this (which you know they will), I can only hope they also publicize the results. With the child's death, they blew the story way out of proportion and when new came that it was not Disney's fault, the only place covering that was Orlando Sentinel.

I hope the ride burns to the ground for this. I have hated it since it opened. It is an extremly poorly made attraction and the faster it gets replaced the better it will be for all of us.
    Don't go speaking for anyone else in your post. Your opinion is not held by everyone else. I for one think Mission: Space is a fantastic ride and hope it stays for a long time. 99% of the illnesses (not including this death as we don't know the cause yet) is due to the stupidity of the guests. People go on it who know they shouldn't because they think it's Disney, so it can't be that bad. These are idiots who don't follow the rules & don't read the warnings.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    99% of the illnesses (not including this death as we don't know the cause yet) is due to the stupidity of the guests. People go on it who know they shouldn't because they think it's Disney, so it can't be that bad. These are idiots who don't follow the rules & don't read the warnings.
    Not even that, they hear the stories and convince themselves that they are going to get sick.

• Sock Puppet

While I'm not really a fan of Mission: Space (It just didn't do anything for me...I didn't get sick or anything) I definitely don't think Disney should scrap it. Not that it's really an issue, I'm sure.

• Disney Memory Maker

The Orlando Sentinel reports that the woman may have had high blood pressure and other health problems (which are clearly noted on all the warning signs). If this is indeed true (they are just suggesting it right now), it was not in any way Disney's fault.

I know that when I go to Disney World in a few months, just like last year (where I went just a month or two after that accident), I will go on Mission: Space as many times as I can. Last year I went on it 5 or 6 times during my vacation & you can bet I'll be doing that again this year. I like the attraction too much not to.

I'm just really hoping for something major to happen in the news tomorrow (Bin Laddin get's captured, Michael Jackson has a baby, etc) so the media won't go overboard with this.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

An interesting question to ask is how close to the 'thrill line' can disney go w/o actually being culpable. Clearly it is _very_ hard to claim that 'dynamic forces' of Small World would kill someone. Indiana Jones and by relationship have upped the thrill threshold and have been rumored to have killed or injured folks. Rides since then have continually marched towards an intensity that puts 'more and more' people at risk. And as other have said, Disney tries to publicize the warning signs.

How would the parents of the little boy know about their risk factor?

So what happens when the thrill threashold moves up to 6-7gs? How many people in the 'normal population' are going to understand just how many g's they can withstand?

• Sock Puppet

If in doubt don't ride. Nobody is putting you at risk but yourself. Disney isn't forcing you to ride their rides. And I think as a general rule you know what you can and can't handle, if spinning makes you sick, don't ride Mission: Space, etc, etc..

Of course, this all changes if they're running the ride improperly, but until then, it's up to you to keep yourself safe.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by B52Hbuff
    How would the parents of the little boy know about their risk factor?
    Some things you can't blame anyone for. The previous accident illustrated that perfectly. It was nobody's fault. That boy though didn't just have any old pre-existing condition. He had a very rare heart problem where he could have died instantly virtually anywhere. He could have died on Small World, he could have died on the monorail. It wasn't a case that the ride was too intense for him, he could have died anywhere.

As for how intense Disney can go. It all depends on whether people read the warnings. If they have an undiagnosed pre-existing condition, there's nothing they or Disney can do.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast