Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

What Would You Do To Improve ANY WDW Ride/Attraction?

Yeah, it's another thread about Everest. If you don't like it, too bad!

OK, let's make this constructive criticism folks! If you want to bash Everest, please do so in that other thread.

I'll start...

The bird on a stick thing: OK, nobody I know likes that thing. Not sure what to do with it. Any ideas? I guess the thought was to use it to establish an aura of foreboding - create some tension while the track switches. Someone shaking a bird on a stick at me only makes me laugh.

The AA Yeti: What a fantastic thing this is! My only problem with it is that I didn't get to see it enough. A braking zone right in front of it would be great, IMO.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by Pacha; 04-14-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Open the thread to other rides and attraction

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: What Would You Do To Improve Everest?

I think some audio of the tracks "failing" and buckling under you would be cool, and would make any jolting feeling feel bad. Also see if you can add some shaking to the trains too for that part.

Only other thing would be to make the insider darker and add more plant life at the final helix.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

First of all, concerning the infamous bird on a stick- as I haven't yet been on this ride I can't say whether or not it should stay or go. I will say that when I saw the first video of the attraction, I thought it was a real bird. It was hard to make out and it was only after watching a few times that I noticed it rising and falling from behind the peak. Knowing that some areas of the parks (Liberty Square especially) are having bird problems I just assumed this was a real life intruder. But what I would like to see at that point in the ride is some more atmosphere. It looks great, just like a snowy peak should, but I think some howling wind (actual wind, not just howls) and some actual fake snow blowing about would make the track-switch wait more enjoyable.

For overall improvements, here are three suggestions- small, medium, and large.

1) There is an incredibly simple effect used often in movies (Lost World, King Kong, etc.) of seeing the tops of trees shake to indicate something large looming in the woods. I think it would be great if at the end of the long terrain run, just before the turn towards the temple lift, something like this was added. Along with some twig snapping sounds, I think it would be a simple and subtle suggestion that we are not along on this journey.

2) I've heard that there is a simple glowing eye effect in the tunnel following the big exterior drop (though I've seen no pictures or video of this.) I think what would really enhance the feeling of the Yeti actively chasing us would be to show something actually being smashed as we shoot through the mountain. This could be as simple as a wooden track supports from a false track above us toppling down towards our heads.

3) Imagine as we make our final plunge into the forbidden mountain we don't just swoop past the Yeti, but instead find him standing before us on our own track. The train loses momentum before colliding with the Yeti as he lifts the track before him and tosses it to the side (this miraculously links right up with the track that leads us out to safety, but it's not too much of a stretch considering the other leaps in logic the ride provides.) This change would have us actually riding a switchtrack while giving us a more interactive encounter with the beast.

Lastly I want to say, I am not an Everest hater at all- I can't wait to finally ride this thing. It's been amazing to watch it grow over the last few years.
    Thanks to everyone who has been documenting and commenting on its progress so that those of us not near the parks can enjoy the creation of these rides.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Add a more realistic bird at the top...

fix the misters

Let me ride it again and again
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Official MC Thread Killer

I love Everest... but here's what I'd do...

1)Add more misters at the beginning. Also, more wind/snow sound effects to sound like the traditional blizzard weather at the top of the mountain.

2)During the backwards section, the building would be completely enclosed. This way, you won't be able to see the framing of the mountain through the daylight. Also, maybe some fog with a light blue color... so simulate going through some dark ice caverns? Or maybe just completely dark.. I love the physical effect during this section... it almost feels like you're going upside down...

3) The switch track that you watch the projection on would rumble and shake.. as if the Yeti is tearing up the same track you're on.

4) When you re-enter the mountain after the big drop, add large and very realistic glowing red eyes RIGHT above you in addition to an ever louder roar (think the giant roar right at the end of Dinosaur) to feel like this thing's right on top of you...

Other than that... I think that's it... I really think they need to crank up the audio and add some more simple effects to make it perfect. I think louder audio... especially the roars... would make it that much more intense... especially when the encounter actually occurs...
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• Minion

Thanks for the input everyone! Those are all great ideas, and more importantly, all very doable. I think this is a good ride that could be outstanding with a few touches like those mentioned so far.

• Banned User

Rebuild the line queue about twice as long... with a better thought out single rider line.
    Enclose the inside so there is no light.
    Add the red yeti eyes in the tunnel when you re-enter after the big drop.
    Fix the broken AC.
    Fix the broken mist.
    Have the ride take another trip around the mountain after you see the yeti... the ride is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Rebuild the line queue about twice as long... with a better thought out single rider line.
    Enclose the inside so there is no light.
    Add the red yeti eyes in the tunnel when you re-enter after the big drop.
    Fix the broken AC.
    Fix the broken mist.
    Have the ride take another trip around the mountain after you see the yeti... the ride is too short.
    If Bill suggests it, it's good enough for me!

And are you serious about the AC and the mist? That's incredible with the media opening last week. What happened to show ready?

And I guess they decided the snow just wasn't worth the effort?

I hate to say it, but Universal would do a better job.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    Add a more realistic bird at the top...

fix the misters

Let me ride it again and again
    wait a min... you stole all of my ideas.. except for the ones bill stole.. lol

except for one... Add just one tiny miniscule loop at the ending.. or have new audio.. including

"Remain seated please.. Spanish part goes here"

• Minion

Suggest Ways Here to Improve ANY WDW Ride or Attraction

OK, those are interesting and, again, very doable.

Let's open this thread to suggestions for any ride or attraction at WDW.

I'm going to add one right now...
    The Land Pavillion: Seems like the traffic and noise here has gotten pretty excessive. Would it be possible to move some or all of the restaurants out of there into another building? What's going on with the Odyssey building anyway? Could that be used for some of the stuff currently in The Land Pavillion?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974

And are you serious about the AC and the mist? That's incredible with the media opening last week. What happened to show ready?

And I guess they decided the snow just wasn't worth the effort?

I hate to say it, but Universal would do a better job.
    I'm dead serious, and it's really too bad too. To my knowledge, the media opening did not experience the AC and the mist. And I don't have a clue what happened to the snow effect.

Universal might do a better job... but honestly, the storyline at Revenge of the Mummy is thought out as well as Everest's. But it really is too complicated for most to understand. Universal suffers from the same problems Disney does. No park gets away from them... well, unless I become manager of one. HA HA HA... eh, I can dream, eh?

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Bill's-sig-whore.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Bill's-sig-whore.
    Ha ha, lookie what I did.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    I think some audio of the tracks "failing" and buckling under you would be cool, and would make any jolting feeling feel bad.
    Ummm... there are over 200 audio tracks and speakers throughout the ride that do that. They're synched with the ride all along the tracks. Next time you ride listen carefully. That Vekoma is smooth as glass and quite as a whisper. What you're hearing is wind and foley tracks. It's quite a feat.

As far as the jolting.... umm... it's a Vekoma... it's bound to shake and rattle in time.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

For those wondering, if the Discovery Channel is to be trusted as being COMPLETELY factual, the Yeti sizes in at 25 feet tall. Unfortunately, I can't spout too many more facts because I started watching the show with only 20 or so minutes left in it. I did catch the 200 speaker fact though...impressive indeed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast