Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EPCOT Center

• Drunk On Disney

Re: EPCOT Center

I had never noticed the Epcot 95, but I went back and watched an old vacation planning video and they said it there. Stupid.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by ashlance85

Are those big ugly little metal photo gravestones still lining the way to the Ball? I miss flower beds and how you could jump up on the sides of them to walk (run) down into the park.
    Couple of stories abut the graveyard.

1. I didn't tell my wife when they changed them, I had seen photos and was not too thrilled about them. But anyway, the first time my wife saw them she said (without prompting from me) "Wow! THisw place looks like a graveyard now!"

2. One time when we were walking in, we saw a family and a little girl looking at the tombstones and photos on them and the little girl said "Are all these people burried here?"

Well, enough of that... (for me)

It seems to me that when we went in 1994 (my first time at WDW) the Disney bus drivers were still calling it EPCOT Center, adn maybe some were in 1995. As far back as 1994, the bus drivers were also making the EPCOT jokes (Every Paycheck Comes On Turusday, Every Parent Carries Out a Toddler, etc.) but then maybe around the 2000, most drivers just called it Epcot, no center, no jokes, just Epcot (sounds like capital E, lowercase pcot).

There is still the random bus driver who calles it Epcot Center, but it doesn't seem to me as many. Must be holdovers from years gone by.

To me it will always be EPCOT Center, though I usually write it Epcot, or abbreviate it EC.

CU@DL

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I'm telling ya, there's just something totally cool about going up and visiting your picture, knowing that in all the days and weeks and months since your last visit, your very own smiling face has been right here to greet the millions of fun loving park stormers. I hope they keep it for many years to come!!!
    BLECH!!! They are hideous to look it.

Now Dan, it may not matter much to you because ... well, let's just say you don't have GQ looks, but those pics are terrible. You can't really even make out most of the living-dead on them.

Just a terrible idea in both principle and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    Other than putting Nemo in "The Living Seas", which is actually a good thematic fit, where else is "Pixar crap" located in EPCOT/Epcot? And isn't it pretty well agreed that the "Pixar crap" is better than most of the "Disney crap" from the last ten years?
    Ah, but there's the rub to many Disney geeks ... even if Pixar's animated films have been more Disneyesque than Disney's recent slate, they still aren't/weren't made by Disney, so people rip them. I am not big on sticking characters all over the place, but the Nemo ones do fit the theme of the Seas, and if it takes placing them into the pavillion to energize it, I am all for it!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    ...well, let's just say you don't have GQ looks, but those pics are terrible. You can't really even make out most of the living-dead on them. Just a terrible idea in both principle and execution.
    It's always amazing to me how someone so simple can be so consistently wrong. (OK, big smiley-face here!) Principle - excellent, better than the bricks. Execution - well, not quite excellent. I really didn't like the hard sell that they did early on, with a voice loop hawking the pics as you went under Spaceship Earth. Really bad interruption to the entryway vibe. And then moving the sales location off to the far right side just meant that many people entering would never know that the option was still there. Top it off with the problem that they far over estimated the demand, so now you have many more blank areas than those with picture panels in them.

But I still don't have any problem with the esthetic appearance of the monoliths. And I don't know about other pics, but my smiling handsome face came out just great! I can give you the location if you want . . .

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

It's always amazing to me how someone so simple can be so consistently wrong.
    I bet Pressler is wondering the same thing. I wonder if those monoliths are still in the red...

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Ah, but there's the rub to many Disney geeks ... even if Pixar's animated films have been more Disneyesque than Disney's recent slate, they still aren't/weren't made by Disney, so people rip them. I am not big on sticking characters all over the place, but the Nemo ones do fit the theme of the Seas, and if it takes placing them into the pavillion to energize it, I am all for it!
    And yet Disney has always owned the Pixar characters, meaning they have always been a part of the Disney character family. And now that Disney has bought Pixar outright, there's no argument that they don't belong with Mickey, Pooh, and Cinderella.

To me it's like arguing against Stitch or Mulan because they were created by WDFA-Florida and not the team in Burbank.

Sorry, I know it's waaay off topic.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Drunk On Disney

But I still don't have any problem with the esthetic appearance of the monoliths. And I don't know about other pics, but my smiling handsome face came out just great! I can give you the location if you want . . .
    Do you have a pic of your picture? Post it!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Somewhere I have the certificate that they give you when you purchase, that lets you a webpage with your pic on it. If I have time over the weekend I'll try to look it up and post it. This is your only warning . . .

You don't want me to know where it is, Danny ... trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    And yet Disney has always owned the Pixar characters, meaning they have always been a part of the Disney character family. And now that Disney has bought Pixar outright, there's no argument that they don't belong with Mickey, Pooh, and Cinderella.

To me it's like arguing against Stitch or Mulan because they were created by WDFA-Florida and not the team in Burbank.

Sorry, I know it's waaay off topic.
    Who cares whether it's on topic or not? It's a very good point.

Some diehard Disney fanboys/girls just can't get over the fact that Pixar's films have been so superior to most (not all) of Disney's efforts over the past decade.

But Buzz and Woody, Mike and Sulley, Flik and Atta, Nemo and Dory are all Disney characters. Period.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Some diehard Disney fanboys/girls just can't get over the fact that Pixar's films have been so superior to most (not all) of Disney's efforts over the past decade.
    I don't even get this, since every Pixar film except The Incredibles has been a buddy movie.

Of course, every Disney movie has been a bit of a buddy movie as well since the studio got tired of big sweeping epics. The most popular properties of the past few years (Groove, L&S) have been buddy movies as well. Strange. I'm glad Incredibles broke the mold, but I wouldn't say Pixar is bringing much new to storytelling, they just have a better knack for it.

• white and nerdy

Elvis Pressley Came On Tuesday.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123