A Little Armchair Imagineering...

Ok guys, I thought I'd throw out a concept I've been toying with for a while.

Basically it adds one and a half new attractions to Epcot.

First, Soarin' would be rethemed and "moved". Instead of being accessed through the Land pavilion it would be accessed through the Imagination! pavilion (which would be renamed to the Imagination Institute). The area commonly known as "the most unknown bathrooms at Epcot" would house the lion's share of the new queue. The ride would be renamed Soarin' to Imagination!

The premise is this:
    The Imagination Institute is hosting the grand opening of their newest lab, the Multi-Sensory Flight Lab. Guests would proceed first through the new extension of the Institute, this new section would be a display and promotion zone for the new concept art of the new glider. The guests would proceed through the new building which would connect to part of the current Soarin' queue. The theming would have to be slightly modified, but for the most part would stay the same. From there the ride would be just about the same from a technical standpoint.

The official story is that the Imagination Glider flys on a wave of inspiration across the boundless realms of the Imagination. This would involve a new film that would be produced in 3-D. The guests would be given flight goggles for "safety". The new route of the ride would take guests all over the world. I have yet to determine all of the scenes, but there are a few that I am sure of.

The Grand Canyon
    The Scottish Coast - Complete with 3-D Dragons (there would be a gust of hot air when the dragon breathes fire)
    The Serengeti - Chasing lions on the plains
    The Plains of America - Complete with Tornados and Lightning
    In Orbit of Earth

eventually it would end up on Mars! At that point, the glider seems to be out of control, who better to save the day...than Dreamfinder and Figment on DF's Dream Machine. They create a cyclone of dreams that brings the glider right back to the institute.

Feel free to make suggestions to the locations! They can be (preferably) imaginary places or places with imaginary characters!

The entire attraction would be hosted by Nigel Channing (Eric Idle) along with his new assistant Dr. (as yet unnamed) played by John Cleese

Along with an upgraded Journey Into Imagination with Figment (needs a new name, any suggestions?) and an all new attraction in the Magic Eye theater (which I also haven't determined yet), the new Imagination Institute will be one of the most popular spots at Epcot.

The second attraction which will be completely new, although the concept will be cloned, is Journey to the Center of the Earth. The entrance to the queue will be across from where the current entrance to Soarin' is. The queue will exit through the northern part of the building to the new show building behind the Living Seas.

The modified theme is this...
    Guests will be explorers recruited by the Disney Institute of Geology or D.I.G. The queue will be about the same as it is for Soarin' showing the different climates of the Earth. The queue will then look much like the TDS version only it won't be Verneian in nature. Instead it will be a future technological elevator aka litholift. When they reach the subterrainean level of the institute they board the D.I.G. Rover to embark upon a journey unlike the world has ever seen. They transferse the deepest depths of the Earth, where they eventually encounter the Lava Beast, just like at TDS. Note: Disney must make it clear that the attraction is fantasy. The final part of the attraction will move through the greenhouses near the boat ride, to create interest in the attraction. The rovers will be next generation Test Track vehicles.

After disembarkation, guests will proceed to the D.I.G. Visitor Center, where they can see examples of real-life geology studies, as well as purchase JTCOTE merchandise.

This will create one and a half new attractions at Epcot that could really bring a lot of attention to the western part of the Park.

Overall, I just think that the boat ride can cover whats on the land, I would like to see whats under the land, even if its fantasy. Maybe they could even make it science-factual, who knows?

In the place of the current Soarin' queue, they could put a new version of Food Rocks! back, or something new completely.

Soarin' could be so much more fun, especially if it was in 3-D, the addition of the Imagination aspect could allow them to do so much more.

So what do you all think?
    Last edited by DoppelV; 04-19-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: A Little Armchair Imagineering...

I like the new Land's attraction line-up...and especially the decor around Soarin (I could go for the old colors, music and food though).

• The one, the only...

I like the idea especial the 3D addition. I believe in Walt's philosophy that he did not like repeating himself. If a new ride was going to be put in Epcot based on the technology of California Sourin', then effort should have been made to IMPROVE the ride.

Since the mouse seems more concerned about how to cut corners now, that is why they just "copied" the ride from California adventure. They did not even make the effort to change the footage.

I like your innovations. I think imagination is a great theme, but has not really been executed well at WDW. I think your ride would move 3D movies one step forward in that it would be the first at Disney to move the audience along with the action on the screen.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

The only reservation I can see is that Journey to Imagination already has HISTA. So would it be okay to have two 3-D movies. Or, the Magic Eye Theater could be converted to an entirely different kind of attraction, or possibly an AA show.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    The only reservation I can see is that Journey to Imagination already has HISTA. So would it be okay to have two 3-D movies. Or, the Magic Eye Theater could be converted to an entirely different kind of attraction, or possibly an AA show.
    HISTA has seen its time come and go. I really don't think many would miss it. I think a much more imaginative ride should go there. I like your concept. Ask yourself if both kids and adults would like it? Also if there is something that could be added to make it better.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!