Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pop Century Phase II?

What's going on with the second half of Pop Century? Has any progress been made?

• Banned User

What I have heard is that it is on Hold for a few more years. (Everything is there for parking and the foundations for every building. the Lobie & 2 builds have been built and just waiting for WDW to continue the rest of construction. Untill then they will be sitting their unused.

This question has been asked on another MB at various times and the basic answer is that 9/11 dreastically changed the scheduling of this project. The "Classic Years" (50's - 90's) was pretty much done when 9/11 hit, but the "Legendary Years" (00's - 40's) was in the beginning stages of that phase. The post 9/11 effects on the travel industry halted the continuance of the "Legendary Years" construction until pre-9/11 numbers returned with some projectable consistancy. Those numbers are supposedly starting to come back to where the Disney "Bean Counters" are comfortable, but as of yet, no time table has been set for finishing the "other half" of Pop Century. I'd be surprised, though, if they didn't start up again within a year or so, based on the way the travel market has bounced back.

please please please please NO PHASE II!!

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by BurningStroller
    Why? I've heard rumors about Pop-Century Phase II for a while, but I didn't think there was
    anything that was so objectionable. Or am I missing something?

• Banned User

so what would they do with all those foundations and the lobby and those 2 buildings already built???

remove them... just build the second resort.. then no more resorts for WDW...

at least untill they find a bad time for the 5th park.... :devil:

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Then they would have to call it Pop HALf-Century! I don't think that would fly too well.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Ah, I'm asking cause I'm really looking forward to Phase II.

The 1900's should be extra cheap if you go for a room without electricity or running water!

And my friend and I were hoping for an Al Capone suite in the 40's.

I wonder what Disney has figured out as the theme/bedspreads/wallpapers/artwork for these rooms?

And why doesn't Disney install a massive bowling alley in the 50's?

you're kidding right? That MOTEL is awful! It basically solidifies every sterotype that people have for Disney (excluding us)...big, overbearing, gaudy. They couldnt make a 'tasteful' inexpensive hotel? I'd rather see 10 more motels 6's on 192 than another addition to that disaster.

Actually, Pop is our favorite resort. I will be there again next week. We find Pop to be everything that IS Disney. Larger than Life, Full of Fun, Magic at every corner, and colors, colors, colors. If you would rather Motel 6's then, by all means, stay at one. It is out of the way, so you can even easily avoid seeing it.

And, just to be clear, in the last two years, we have stayed at
    All Stars Music
    All Stars Movies
    Coronado Springs
    Caribean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge
    Beach Club
    Polynesian
    Old Key West

In addition, I have stayed at Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Hilton at Downtown Disney, Treehouses (miss them), Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness. So I think I have a good idea of what is Disney

• Banned User

Pop centry is the better of the 2 value resorts....(or is it 3???)

It was improved for everyone and has a great theme to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmJacksDLand
    What's going on with the second half of Pop Century? Has any progress been made?
    If its true that resort occupany averages around 70%, then it wouldn't make sense to expand it. And if the econos are full, building more could possibly cannibalize business from the moderates.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Quote Originally Posted by usofa
    Actually, Pop is our favorite resort. I will be there again next week. We find Pop to be everything that IS Disney. Larger than Life, Full of Fun, Magic at every corner, and colors, colors, colors. If you would rather Motel 6's then, by all means, stay at one. It is out of the way, so you can even easily avoid seeing it.

And, just to be clear, in the last two years, we have stayed at
    All Stars Music
    All Stars Movies
    Coronado Springs
    Caribean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge
    Beach Club
    Polynesian
    Old Key West

In addition, I have stayed at Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Hilton at Downtown Disney, Treehouses (miss them), Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness. So I think I have a good idea of what is Disney
    Ever thought about joining DVC? You seem like the target guest...
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

you're kidding right? That MOTEL is awful! It basically solidifies every sterotype that people have for Disney (excluding us)...big, overbearing, gaudy. They couldnt make a 'tasteful' inexpensive hotel? I'd rather see 10 more motels 6's on 192 than another addition to that disaster.
    :confused: ....Couldn't disagree more! The place is fun from front to back. If it wasn't for the value resorts, trips to WDW would be a lot less likely.

Pop for me ....

Tried Pop Century last June and went with the whole family. Everybody loved it. Won't say its the best (I've stayed everywhere but AKL and Dixie Landings and the yacht and beah club), but for a value resort, it was fun/clean and comfy.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" °o°
    - Uncle Walt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast